sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    Really ? No idea ?
    They do say...
    “Currently expecting significant 2H earnings impact, but with possibility of rapid FY21 rebound (based on SARS experience)”
    So I guess they have some idea that it might be similar to SARS. Let’s hope it is.
    Do people really think that mankind will not get on top of the current virus issue ?
    When ?
    How much financial impact in the meantime ?
    How long after that until normal confidence is restored ?

Talk on CNBC this morning it could be a year to a year and a half before a vaccine is widely available. There's a LOT of fixed costs running an airline mate and if revenue starts really falling off it doesn't take much before they're running at a loss.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    Really ? No idea ?
    They do say...
    “Currently expecting significant 2H earnings impact, but with possibility of rapid FY21 rebound (based on SARS experience)”
    So I guess they have some idea that it might be similar to SARS. Let’s hope it is.
    Do people really think that mankind will not get on top of the current virus issue ?
    you left off the bit under that comment

outlook remains uncertain
    one step ahead of the herd

Beagle have you considered CNBC have a financial incentive to publish sensationalist or otherwise scary or shocking information or news?

worth taking that with a mountain of salt. The world isn’t collapsing just a few more good deals on offer

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Slothbear View Post
    Beagle have you considered CNBC have a financial incentive to publish sensationalist or otherwise scary or shocking information or news?

worth taking that with a mountain of salt. The world isn’t collapsing just a few more good deals on offer
    CNBC are just a bunch of noise that adds little value to the investor. It's interesting for sure but as to helping with stock picking... puhlease.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Slothbear View Post

From my observations they have a very wide range of guest investment professionals commentating and offering quite a range of opinions. Some of their presenters are also extremely knowledgeable, like Michael Santoli and Bob Pansani who are especially good and professional.
    CNBC, in my opinion gives one a very good window into what else is happening in the business world other than what's happening on this tiny little island at the bottom of the world called New Zealand.
    Last edited by Beagle; 27-02-2020 at 02:39 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

IMO

i second that , have been watching CNBC for many years and confirm a year at the earliest for a vaccine to be available.

Interesting GS SP analysis today showing 28% upside ............

We are Neutral rated on Air New Zealand with a 12-month target price of NZ$3.07

Quote Originally Posted by dreamcatcher View Post
    Interesting GS SP analysis today showing 28% upside ............

We are Neutral rated on Air New Zealand with a 12-month target price of NZ$3.07
    I think their analyst is taking a very benign view of the Covid 19 virus risks.

They say in the airline business to never waste a good recession. Time to clean out some old wood in the flight crew making $500K plus, a whole lot of pigs with their snouts in the trough at head office making similar money...make everyone earning over $200K reapply for their job and get a 3 year wage freeze on all unionised workers. Costs have to come down because earnings have been falling for five years in a row now.

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    I think their analyst is taking a very benign view of the Covid 19 virus risks.

They say in the airline business to never waste a good recession. Time to clean out some old wood in the flight crew making $500K plus, a whole lot of pigs with their snouts in the trough at head office making similar money...make everyone earning over $200K reapply for their job and get a 3 year wage freeze on all unionised workers. Costs have to come down because earnings have been falling for five years in a row now.
    It is going to happen in a hurry. I often see travel demand better indicated by using booking sites for accommodation as a proxy. The booking sites algorithm results in deep discounts when heavy cancelations occur and capacity increases suddenly. Seeing deep discount for Queenstown in April/May and even as far out as second half of the year for european cities. A lot of people backing out of their travel plans. Anyone want to pay around a third of the normal nightly rate in London?

I believe analyst is realistic expecting people and businesses to return to 'normal' quickly with students flying-goods been shipped-families holidaying etc airlines will be in catch up mode. But agree with you about heaps of overpaid people with cushy jobs but not just at AIR its a disease that spreads faster then Covid-19

Mechanic friend tells me some vehicle parts running dry probably many more industries in same position. I ask how long can everyone live in a fear bubble about flying.

In China Covid-19 has been falling since 16th Feb's peak of 58.747 active cases to 46,222 yesterday with 33,026 recovered