sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Membaa

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    Luckily? the govt still has that big shareholding, an incentive to prop AIR up financially, if necessary.
    Govt shareholder is last resort financier, for a price (% holdings), we saw how low the SP went before the govt stepped in last time. Holding 50% this time if it collapsed the govt surely would nationalise the airline, i.e. forced buyout all shareholders at some desperately low SP.

Quote Originally Posted by Baa_Baa View Post
    Govt shareholder is last resort financier, for a price (% holdings), we saw how low the SP went before the govt stepped in last time. Holding 50% this time if it collapsed the govt surely would nationalise the airline, i.e. forced buyout all shareholders at some desperately low SP.
    After the bailout the govt owned 82% of AIR
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by Baa_Baa View Post
    A good article in the Herald 4.5 years ago. SP not far off now where it was then so a nice little history refresher course https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=11508152

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    After the bailout the govt owned 82% of AIR
    and Key sold at $1.60 from memory. Too Keyn to get out he was but the right thing to do of course.
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

More domestic and international flights cuts by AIR due to corona beer.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/trave...virus-outbreak

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Cash and Short Term Deposits - spot the trend folks
    June 2018 $1,343m
    Dec 2018 $1,217m
    June 2019 $1,055m
    Dec 2019 $1,003m
    June 2020 ??

The strength to withstand any conditions ?
    Those that make the decisions made the decision some time ago (as in: I forget when and damned if I m going to go look for it) to reduce the amount of cash they held and it is this deliberate policy that the above trend is a result of.

This is one of the prime reasons for the current mismatch between current assets and current liabilities.

Historically AIR was at the more conservative end in this regard and even now, probably still is.

Probably best not to invest in airlines at the moment.
    om mani peme hum

Some airlines still planning for a better future, even if it involves more nightmares:

https://www.marketscreener.com/SOJIT...ices-30057087/

Not sure, though I would have purchased planes from the the maker of the well feared 737 Max ... but at least they avoided the Rolls Royce engines to go with them. This must be a silver lining.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar
    om mani peme hum

Advanced Member

Coronavirus & the daily media & internet drenching of hysterial headlines can make us a bit short sighted.

For those holding AIR, keep in mind looking ahead (& once there's effective medication for those who need treatment from Coronavirus which looks like only months away, or it naturally fades or vaccines produced ) air passenger numbers projected to double by 2037 with huge & the most growth in the Asia Pacific region & an extra 2.3 billion passengers for a total of 3.9 billion passengers in this market alone.

https://www.iata.org/en/pressroom/pr/2018-10-24-02/

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
    Coronavirus & the daily media & internet drenching of hysterial headlines can make us a bit short sighted.

For those holding AIR, keep in mind looking ahead (& once there's effective medication for those who need treatment from Coronavirus which looks like only months away, or it naturally fades or vaccines produced ) air passenger numbers projected to double by 2037 with huge & the most growth in the Asia Pacific region & an extra 2.3 billion passengers for a total of 3.9 billion passengers in this market alone.

https://www.iata.org/en/pressroom/pr/2018-10-24-02/
    Sure ... though I doubt they considered in this analysis global warming and flight shame. Linear extrapolations are sometimes useful, but always wrong :

On top of that - one of their "working assumptions" to come up with this numbers was that the trend to globalization continues. I doubt that.

Anyway - I think the current discussion is more around whether it is more fun to buy AIR for $2.00, $1.00 or $0.50 per share. No matter how much or little you pay, you always end up with the same share of the airline which may or may not have a great future.

Why paying full price if you can get it some weeks later as well at a nice discount?
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)