sharetrader
Page 157 of 2020 FirstFirst ... 571071471531541551561571581591601611672072576571157 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,570 of 20192

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Your mate chris was on the radio this morning saying that these new jets coming soon can carry heaps more cargo as well.

Relatively small in the big picture but good eh

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Your mate chris was on the radio this morning saying that these new jets coming soon can carry heaps more cargo as well.

Relatively small in the big picture but good eh
    Sure is, another 10 tonnes I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by NewGuy View Post
    Sorry, not following this thread, but when is the record date for this stock?
    I believe they trade ex divvy on the 10th Sept.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Sure is, another 10 tonnes I believe.

I believe they trade ex divvy on the 10th Sept.
    15 tonnes on a Dreamliner. That's a lot of salmon and roses and strawberrys

http://www.radionz.co.nz/national/pr...-cargo-results
    Last edited by winner69; 03-09-2014 at 11:00 AM.

$2.17 ($2.015 ex divvy) is great buying with management clearly confident of further growth in the years ahead. The latent hungry beagle hound that lurks within is very happy with the XXXXL forthcoming divvy feed hence I decided to buy more and order off the upsized dividend menu
    It *does* seem to be good buying.. I'm a bit surprised not more people are snapping for shares prior to the divvy. Still a lot of nervousness in airline investments perhaps?

Guru

Sorry, not following this thread, but when is the record date for this stock?
    NZX has this info as does the the company's website.

Are there any special conditions around being eligible for the special divvy??
    No - all are welcome to participate.

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    15 tonnes on a Dreamliner. That's a lot of salmon and roses and strawberrys

http://www.radionz.co.nz/national/pr...-cargo-results
    Many thanks for that. Real game changers these new Dreamliner's

Guru

Thanks for the link. Reading that was like stepping back decades in time for me to an era when I had little money and no other option but to take the absolute cheapest transport possible. Now days you couldn't pay me $300 to endure an overnight bus trip Wellington to Auckland assuming it went according to plan. As for running out of fuel half way through the trip as mentioned later in that story, where do they find these people to drive these old buses ? Calcutta perhaps...who exactly are you entrusting your life too ???? The Herald's attempt to compare various modes of transport last week was another piece of pathetic journalism...what possible relevance has the cost of a trip on the cheapest cut price bus operator using Mickey Mouse drivers, (a service which takes many hours at best) got with the speed and efficiency of air travel ?

If they want to keep up their attack crusade against AIR you would have thought the least they could have done was to spend some time comparing regional airfares for similar distance trips at the same times in Australia. Don't these so called journalists have any idea of what is a relevant comparison for goodness sake. Another epic fail at any sort of intelligent journalism. Just as well the online edition is free because it sure isn't worth the paper its printed on for the print version LOL.
    Roger-
    That flight we took from Auckland -Vancouver with AIR was a bit like that overnight bus trip you mention--It was not a case of spending a bit more for comfort--Now that may all change with the dreamliners but I just flew with Thai and as I mentioned before -it was a different beast as far as comfort and service.(both flights were economy)
    There is alot involved in investing in an airline--but if that was major factor -I would certainly think twice

Imo you cant cram that many seats in an aircraft and then get away with claiming you are a top class airline
    Last edited by skid; 03-09-2014 at 05:05 PM.

Hi Skid,

I understand where you're coming from, especially since I'm a big bloke but the vast majority of the world's airlines are moving to a pitch of about 32 inches in economy if they aren't there already. They're really caught between a rock and a hard place. As far back as I can remember, (I'm coming up 53), if you waited for a good special you could fly to London return for just on $2,000 plus taxes. Decades later the sale price is the same or very similar despite a massive increase in costs and this is what the general public wants. How many other products or services can you name that are the same nominal price as 25 or 30 years ago despite the effects of inflation over all those years ? I can't think of any !!!!!
    Can't remember if you're experience was on a 777-300 or the older 200 series but I believe AIR are spending about $100m refurbishing the 777-200 fleet.
    If you want luxury you need to ante-up for premium economy or business class. The other day AIR had a business class special on the new Dreamliner to Perth for $1,199 each way. It crossed my mind to have a ride just for the heck of it but time doesn't presently allow. You get what you pay for mate and the public generally want cheap prices.
    I believe air travel on a relative basis to what it has been over the years is very very cheap and there's a tidal wave of baby boomers who are pleased their kids have finally left home and now have disposable income and want to stretch their horizons. ( I acknowledge my own circumstances might affect my perspective)
    Last edited by Beagle; 03-09-2014 at 05:29 PM.

I picked up a good amount today. I'm picking that either tomorrow or Friday it will start to move higher and then it will push towards its previous highs of 227-229 on Tuesday (just before going ex-div on Wednesday). I will sell at some point on Tuesday with the anticipation of a 10-15cps capital gain. I see worst case scenario here (bar a market collapse or plane crash!) as breaking even, so a low risk play.