sharetrader
Page 158 of 2019 FirstFirst ... 581081481541551561571581591601611621682082586581158 ... LastLast
Results 1,571 to 1,580 of 20188

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Or a volcano in Iceland perhaps JTH?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyTheHorse View Post
    I picked up a good amount today. I'm picking that either tomorrow or Friday it will start to move higher and then it will push towards its previous highs of 227-229 on Tuesday (just before going ex-div on Wednesday). I will sell at some point on Tuesday with the anticipation of a 10-15cps capital gain. I see worst case scenario here (bar a market collapse or plane crash!) as breaking even, so a low risk play.
    Why wouldn't you collect the divvy and then hold until it picks up again in a few weeks?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tzbang View Post
    Why wouldn't you collect the divvy and then hold until it picks up again in a few weeks?
    Because I'm guessing he's a hard core trader who prefers to work for his money rather than receiving handouts

Quote Originally Posted by tzbang View Post
    I will consider it if the NZ and US markets show a bit more strength over the next few days. I tend to prefer to have the capital free for other opportunities.

Rod Drury not happy with AIR proposal

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/hawkes-bay...ectid=11318916

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Hi Skid,

I understand where you're coming from, especially since I'm a big bloke but the vast majority of the world's airlines are moving to a pitch of about 32 inches in economy if they aren't there already. They're really caught between a rock and a hard place. As far back as I can remember, (I'm coming up 53), if you waited for a good special you could fly to London return for just on $2,000 plus taxes. Decades later the sale price is the same or very similar despite a massive increase in costs and this is what the general public wants. How many other products or services can you name that are the same nominal price as 25 or 30 years ago despite the effects of inflation over all those years ? I can't think of any !!!!!
    Can't remember if you're experience was on a 777-300 or the older 200 series but I believe AIR are spending about $100m refurbishing the 777-200 fleet.
    If you want luxury you need to ante-up for premium economy or business class. The other day AIR had a business class special on the new Dreamliner to Perth for $1,199 each way. It crossed my mind to have a ride just for the heck of it but time doesn't presently allow. You get what you pay for mate and the public generally want cheap prices.
    I believe air travel on a relative basis to what it has been over the years is very very cheap and there's a tidal wave of baby boomers who are pleased their kids have finally left home and now have disposable income and want to stretch their horizons. ( I acknowledge my own circumstances might affect my perspective)
    Im not sure which 777 it was-and Im not sure if Thai is a dieing breed with their roomier seating--but it was nicer--most seem to think that AIR is a good value so who am I to disagree--All Im saying is that if other airlines have roomier seating people are going to start to wonder why they are paying premium prices for budget type seating--Maybe its a SE Asia thing with Singapore up there as well (ok we wont mention MAL-but that was just bad luck-could of happened to any airline)
    It would be interesting to compare the seating arrangement of all airlines-theres probably a website that does this.
    Everyone needs to compete--you either cut costs (or increase seating -maybe skimp a bit on the meals) or you increase passenger numbers.
    It cost us a fair amount to fly to Vancouver(and on to Montreal)(air Canada sucked ,by the way)
    I also paid a bit more than normal for our THAI flight (used to always go for cheapest sales) That bit extra (it was still economy and a sort of sale )made a world of difference with Thai--With AIR.....well....
    But like I said the plane was full so the dosh came in (at least in the short term) and of corse management is of key importance.
    Airlines are not really my thing for investing--you can call them boring blue chip-but its a volatile industry as we have seen lately,but good luck to all who have invested--being a habitual traveler (just spent 3 weeks riding a motor bike around Northern Thailand with the basics strapped on)-I couldnt do without them.
    wish I could have stayed longer but had to come back for several reasons,one of which was to apply for my pension.

One thing about riding around in a country like that (often in the middle of nowhere ) is the realization of how privileged but crazy our life here is.

Quote Originally Posted by skid View Post
    ...It would be interesting to compare the seating arrangement of all airlines-theres probably a website that does this.
    Try this one on for size Skid: http://www.seatguru.com - would be interesting to see the numbers on the difference in seating between Thai and AirNZ.

The motorbike safari sounded like a blast. Fingers crossed I have the health and resources for similar adventures when I'm ready to step out of the rat race.

Guru

Heres one i found after just a quick check
    http://www.airlinequality.com/Experi...lass_seats.htm

And yes in terms of the motorbike adventure--Im Hooked

For aircraft aficionado's here's the goods on a the new super efficient 70,000 lb thrust Rolls Royce Trent 1000 engines AIR have chosen to power their Dreamliners
    http://www.rolls-royce.com/civil/pro...ft/trent_1000/

LOL $2.23 now, you owe me a beer Worked out what you're going to spend your $3K divvy on yet ?
    Last edited by Beagle; 05-09-2014 at 02:46 PM.