sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

The definition of an airline is essentially 'current assets less than current liabilities' EVEN Singapore Airlines .

Cashflow is King for most businesses it is a question of how much of a time buffer they have when the s*** hits the turbo-fan.
    om mani peme hum

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Board and CEO taking a paycut of 15% is not good enough.
    Earn over $500K - 50% pay cut
    Earn over $300K - 33% pay cut
    Earn over $130K - 20% pay cut
    All others, except those earning less than $50K - 15% paycut.
    Never waste a good recession.
    Those that retain their jobs after the redundancies should be pleased they have a job.

These sort of cuts will never happen because although the vast majority of people who work for AIR are very nice people, they don't understand the economic reality of the situation and there is an expectation the Govt and other shareholders will simply cough up to support their comfortable lifestyles.
    On that basis then, there is obviously an expectation from shareholders and the corporate machine that employees will slash their hard earned incomes to support their comfortable dividends.
    While shareholders are very nice people, they don’t understand the functional reality that excellence and expertise is required to make airlines operable, profitable and above all, safe.
    Slash the salaries and watch the quality of service, operation and safety record evaporate.
    Be careful what you wish for Beagle
    Last edited by biker; 16-03-2020 at 11:51 AM.

Wednesday open is going to be a bloodbath, surely? Something drastic has to happen now. Foran about to either earn or lose his stripes on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by biker View Post
    On that basis then, there is obviously an expectation from shareholders and the corporate machine that employees will slash their hard earned incomes to support their comfortable dividends.
    While shareholders are very nice people, they don’t understand the functional reality that excellence and expertise is required to make airlines operable, profitable and above all, safe.
    Slash the salaries and watch the quality of service, operation and safety record evaporate.

and where are they going to go if they don’t like having their paycut? Another airline?

this is going to be happening world wide.

better they get a paycut than have no job.

and somehow I doubt going from 300k to 250k is going to impact how hard they work or someones ability to land a plane.

there is no question the dividend will be cut heavily or entirely
    Last edited by Mr Slothbear; 16-03-2020 at 12:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Slothbear View Post
    there is no question the dividend will be cut heavily or entirely
    There shouldn't have even been one last week. Absolute folly.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Independent Observer AUNZ View Post
    There shouldn't have even been one last week. Absolute folly.
    Govt banked approx. $70m out of them last week in dividends (not to mention tax). Should give it back to them as an interest-free loan.

Quote Originally Posted by biker View Post
    Last time I remember a very unreasonable bunch of employees fighting their struggling airline was with the strikes around Ansett. Staff succeeded in bringing their company to its knees. Ansett got broke and everybody lost their job.

I know one of the pilots working for Ansett. Enormous sense of entitlement - and he did continue to strike to the very end. He never ever managed to get another job in the airline industry and I understand he is now operating harvesting machines.

Lets hope the good staff at Air NZ are more reasonable - not sure our farmers need currently so many more machine operators , though there might be some vacancies for picking apples and digging potatoes. Not sure, though whether farmers pay 6 digit salaries.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Except no one will have money to pay for a holiday after all this is over. So it will take airlines a lot longer to recover.
    Last edited by bottomfeeder; 16-03-2020 at 12:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    not sure our farmers need currently so many more machine operators , though there might be some vacancies for picking apples and digging potatoes. Not sure, though whether farmers pay 6 digit salaries.
    Depends on how well they meet their KPIs (Potatoes per hour).

I'm down a depressing amount of money during this sell off *sigh* However, fortunately I sold out of my 44,000 Air shares not long after the strike action of December 2018. It just really freaked me out at the time and rattled me out of my position. At that point I realized what a fragile position airlines are in. Everything needs to go perfectly 110 per cent of the time just to have an outside chance of keeping the show on the road. If it wasn't this crisis, I'm guessing it would have been another.

https://www.odt.co.nz/business/air-n...just-christmas

Weirdly, I feel grateful for the Union action for giving me a dose of reality when I needed it.
    Last edited by Bobdn; 16-03-2020 at 04:38 PM.