sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Quote Originally Posted by justakiwi View Post
    If having compassion, being kind, caring about people, and preferring to help them learn rather than ridicule them - makes me “pretty strange” - I am happy to own (and be proud of) your label. Not even remotely insulted by it.

I am not disputing the fact that there are a lot of struggling beginners in the Sharesies group, who clearly lack a basic understanding of what they are trying to do, but that doesn’t mean they are stupid and incapable of learning. I just don’t understand why people here feel the need to sit high on their 6 or 7 figure portfolio thrones, and ridicule them.

But hey, if being an arsehole to others gets your rocks off, there’s nothing I can say that will make a difference.
    good to see you sticking up for yourself
    one step ahead of the herd

Well instead of just ROFL at them, maybe you could try to help them understand the basics. In concise layman’s terms so they can get their head around it. Jumping in simply telling them it’s nuts to be buying AIR right now, teaches them nothing. They need to understand why you believe that. Everyone has to learn somewhere. As an investor yourself you know the value of investing. Why would you not want to help someone discover that and gain the benefit of your experience?

Quote Originally Posted by huxley View Post
    Well that’s an overreaction..

What do you propose people who are alarmed by the stupid gambling and speculation playing itself out through FB chat groups do then?

It’s not light hearted jesting if you mean it.

And yes, I am well aware and appreciate the help I have received here, but we are not talking about here. We are talking and the Sharesies Facebook group.

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    I think one on here has seriously overreacted to a light hearted jesting comment or two.

we are all entitled to an opinion it's just a matter of how you express yourself.Some people just seem to have this innate ability to rub people up the wrong way.
    Remember on this forum you can simply add people to your ignore list,it might help the blood pressure.

Meanwhile back on the NZX, AIR seems to be holding up nicely. I really just don't understand the logic. Obviously a lot of people are reading a different book to me.
    I have a feeling I know how it ends, but only time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Timesurfer View Post
    Sounds Air suggesting that once the wage subsidies are used up they will be gone.
    That's sad news.

Have used Sounds Air quite a bit recently for work (for some more obscure routes e.g. flying to Blenheim) and always enjoyed it.

My most memorable flight is coming home from Blenheim on Sounds Air, and it being pitch black at night, peeing down with rain so hard that the pilot would put the wing lights on and you couldn't see anything other than sheets of water. Was a real experience for someone who loves planes.

dear all, i'm been reading posts here for awhile and other than privately thanking a few veterans occasionally here and there for sharing their valuable insights, I haven't been posting much.
    But as I know I'm a newbie, I rather read comments and learn than commenting. It is my responsibility to "find out more" before investing, not others. To be fair, I believe there are enough information here as to why AIR is not a good investment. But it is up to individuals whether they choose to follow or not. All I'm saying is be grateful when others have shared their opinions, and at the same time, everyone needs to do your own research.

Quote Originally Posted by justakiwi View Post
    I just don’t understand why people here feel the need to sit high on their 6 or 7 figure portfolio thrones, and ridicule them...
    I try and stay out of low signal-to-noise exchanges on here but as someone who's got a lot of benefit from this forum c.f other online sources I need to say something in defence of posters here. Yes, there's a bit of ribbing, baiting and the odd p*$$ing contest but there's also a lot of experience and analysis which, if you might not agree with it, can challenge your opinion and open avenues for further self-education. I think it's incorrect to frame your annoyance as old fat-cats splitting their sides at greenhorns losing their shirts. Some folks here will have got into this game as youngsters (or not so youngsters) full of p*$$ and vinegar and been burnt a few times and learned something from it. There really is no substitute for self-education in this game. I read a post not minutes ago on social media to the effect "well good to know a few others are thinking like me - means we can't be wrong." It takes some time, life experience and humility to understand the psychology and flawed reasoning behind those kind of beliefs. I would say fostering self-awareness and being able to question your own decisions as objectively as you can and detach from them emotionally (not always easy) are the foundation of all learning in this game. FB and other platforms are, by design, built to elicit the very opposite of this. Which is all to say, ST is not without its pitfalls but there's an authenticity and range of views maintained here that, by my observation is rare in online investment communities.
    "The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent." – John Maynard Keynes

Advanced Member

Good explanation in todays Stuff.co.nz about how in the event AIR are unable to repay their Govt loan, private shareholders could/will be wiped out completely.
    At current SP the govt needing to claim the remaining 48% they don't already own to cover the bail out loan.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/121...-the-precedent
    Last edited by Blue Skies; 20-04-2020 at 03:19 PM. Reason: to put in link

Quote Originally Posted by Timesurfer View Post
    Sounds Air suggesting that once the wage subsidies are used up they will be gone.
    Thanks for this Timesurfer.

Sounds like an interesting precedent, the government paying to keep some air links open for freight and essential personnel. As important as the Chathams and Great Barrier Island are, the vast majority of this work is being done by Air NZ not just between two slightly larger islands but from those islands to the world.

Surely commercial subsidies have to be applied evenly to all airlines allocated by the number of revenue passenger miles? Australia has just announced effectively this.