sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Things looking brighter

@CamWallace_NZ
    More progress this week with @FlyAirNZ demand growing, especially on leisure based routes. Team are looking at additional sectors for Queens Bday weekend (we could still keep that holiday if we were a republic). Some domestic lounges re-open 25 May. @andykirton
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12333170 AIR under pressure to issue more refunds instead of credits.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12333170 AIR under pressure to issue more refunds instead of credits.
    So they should.

I just wrote this over in the AIA thread:

It's probably a fair bet that if the new normal is 66% of the old, that travel expenses will increase to cover a significant proportion of that short fall, landing expenses being part of that. A lot of the expenses in the industry likely don't have the room to find the efficiencies required to offset such a reduction in headcount. You'd assume (or at least expect) that airline competition would have reduced too at the end of all this (although AIR will be praying there isn't a reset, leaner and meaner Virgin AU). Flights in real terms have come down massively in recent decades. Maybe we're about to see a correction there. If that comes to fruition, it will rub salt into the wounds of those who haven't been able to get a ticket refund and yet will struggle to redeem their credit on similarly priced tickets.

Guru

I am one of those that just cancelled my 12 weeks stay in sweden for next year with large number of non refundable bookings in holland and finland and st peterberg... i think it will be 3 years before dividend income rebuilds to the point where i might return to eruope. Every 5 year there seems to be a major event and ive almost thinking is this stuff real. I had in my mind a constant theme of sell sell sell. I would have made more selling not holding nearly every time. Last year was a perfect case of sell and dont worry about the tax bracket thing. Next time i go im making sure its based on business not pleasure..

The line up of suitors for Virgin ( Under Arm Bowlers Division);

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-...ralia/12259392

Boop boop de do
    Marilyn
    Diamonds are a girls best friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn Munroe View Post
    The line up of suitors for Virgin ( Under Arm Bowlers Division);

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-...ralia/12259392

Boop boop de do
    Marilyn
    Can't see AIR high cost structure doing well against a decent competitor(except for home)

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by Raz View Post
    Can't see AIR high cost structure doing well against a decent competitor(except for home)
    Sad to see AIR let this crisis go to waste. It should have been used to make huge cost savings to make the airline much leaner and meaner for the future. Instead it will become a slow moving, uncompetitive Government controlled/run business.

Quote Originally Posted by Raz View Post
    I see Jayne Herdlicka former CEO of JetStar is tied in with well resourced Bain Capital. Jayne's no stranger to driving costs down with plenty of disgruntled pilots and crew from JetStar in former good times. I would imagine there will be no shortage of planes available to lease on ultra competitive terms, no shortage of pilots and crews so grateful to have their jobs back on far more realistic rates and of course Virgin will not be handicapped by legacy fuel hedging issues that will cost other airlines hundreds of millions this year.

AIR have completely and utterly wasted this crisis and from what I can see brought no new systemic reduction to their bloated cost structure. Unfortunately there was never a worse time to have a new CEO with no experience in the industry. AIR will continue as what will be in effect a state controlled de facto social welfare system for the elite which in my book makes them uninvest-able at any stage in the future.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Guru

Probably fly another provider in a few years if AIR cant compete back to singapore , what about singapore to copenhagen route in 2 years? anyone want to guess the business class seat cost?