sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Glad I didn't book Jetstar for my annual ski holiday this year, (usually go first thing in Sept). Cancelling services altogether in N.Z. through to at least 6 Sept paints them in a bad light. They're really not interested at all in maintaining continuity of services unless its profitable to them. Not one ounce of thought for customers and how they're affected...that's something new for Jetstar isn't it (sarcasm intended).

Picking between flying AIR or flying Jetstar at this point feels like choosing between being forced to marry one extremely ugly sister or the other. Covid 19 is major risk on public transport despite all the lies AIR have tried to perpetrate about their so called hospital grade air filters.
    AIR not much better mate. At 12.05 yesterday I booked a ticket for my daughter Dunedin-Auckland. At 12.08 she received a cancellation notice. Dad back on the phone for 35 minutes to change to a flight the following day which was handled well by the operator. 3 hours later that flight also cancelled. Back on the phone. This time waiting 65 minutes to change to another flight the same day, BUT with a 9 hour stopover in Wellington. So leaves Dunedin at 0625 hrs and arrives Auckland 18.15 hrs. That is if its not cancelled !!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    AIR not much better mate. At 12.05 yesterday I booked a ticket for my daughter Dunedin-Auckland. At 12.08 she received a cancellation notice. Dad back on the phone for 35 minutes to change to a flight the following day which was handled well by the operator. 3 hours later that flight also cancelled. Back on the phone. This time waiting 65 minutes to change to another flight the same day, BUT with a 9 hour stopover in Wellington. So leaves Dunedin at 0625 hrs and arrives Auckland 18.15 hrs. That is if its not cancelled !!
    Last weekend I had 2 cancellations from a flight from CH to AK but only a few minutes wait each time and very well handled.
    I got to Auckland much easier than anyone who had booked Jetstar considering that they had cancelled ALL flights with no options.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    Yet, AirNZ is one of the market darlings and continues to climb. Any guesses what’ll happen tomorrow after the results are out?

Either there'll be a rush for the oxygen masks as they pop out of the overhead bins, or the passengers will continue to reassure themselves the steep dive, engine on fire & multiple alarms going off in the cockpit are nothing to worry about.

Expect after a brief sell off SP will recover, these are indeed strange times.

Disc sold out

With all the focus on airlines cutting costs, operating routes intentionally at a loss is a business plan some managements may potentially avoid. This at a time when there is much uncertainty regarding the political whims on lock downs and alert levels leading up to an election where electorate sentiment is clear about being tough on covid.

Jetstar has much lower overheads than AIR which makes the choice to keep planes on the ground relatively enticing. They would obviously think this outweighs continuity of service as they clearly have the govt. as the cause and the low cost end of the market is more sensitive to price primarily as opposed to the segment AIR caters to.

All domestic operators have been trying to have over the top social distancing requirements on board relaxed at levels 2 and 3 as their own risk management strategies, (e.g. mandatory masks prior to the govt mandate) are comprehensive, conservative and backed by IATA. There have been so few, if any, cases of transmission on board aircraft and in my opinion it is much safer than going to a supermarket where people are free to not wear masks and employ their own versions 'distancing' while picking up and putting back items for others to handle at their leisure. An exemption however safe unfortunately won't sit well with the optics the govt. are going with.

IATA guidance on page 25 specific to distancing on board;

https://www.iata.org/contentassets/d...trnjwghxiq_e0o

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    Last weekend I had 2 cancellations from a flight from CH to AK but only a few minutes wait each time and very well handled.
    I got to Auckland much easier than anyone who had booked Jetstar considering that they had cancelled ALL flights with no options.
    are you an elite or gold member?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by wilba View Post
    are you an elite or gold member?
    No, just bronze.
    When I rang the system picked up my airpoints number and that I had a flight coming up - so quick answering but a person who could do stuff.

Suppose you need to take ones face mask off if the oxygen thingies drop down
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    No, just bronze.
    When I rang the system picked up my airpoints number and that I had a flight coming up - so quick answering but a person who could do stuff.
    gotcha. at least in pre covid days airnz would re-route/prioritize those that were at least gold status up the queue so they wouldn't have to wait.

Dilettante

They still do that wilba and it cuts waiting time. Quite often significantly. But they are extremely busy now so one can not expect an instant response, whatever the level. I think they’re all doing their best in very trying circumstances and no doubt having to deal with many short fused and rude customers. I don’t envy them

Tomorrow the landing gear tyres hit the runway...its going to be a rough landing and very ugly.
    Last edited by Beagle; 26-08-2020 at 06:32 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine