sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-52822913

But virologist Dr Tang disagrees: "The problem is that if you're sitting next to somebody - 0.6 metres in economy, say - who's coughing and sneezing in that immediate area, that aerosol will reach you before it has time to reach the filtration system, get filtered and come back down again."

Profitable and going to very much more so.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Guru

OK lets put that one to bed. As far as I can ascertain there is no filtration system. Use ATR72 as example. Hot bleed air is taken from engines this is cooled expanded heat removed and recompressed, this gives cold air which is mixed in a chamber with hot bleed air to get the correct temp, recirculated cabin air is also added to the mix, this air is pumped into the cabin and exits at floor level on left side of aircraft, a % is re cycled back into the cabin by blending with the fresh bleed air. There are no viral level filters , infact viruses may well be recycled many times before the end of the flight. Aircraft don't carry much unnecessary stuff, like filters etc.

That said I have been informed that the A320's have hepa filters on the recirc air only. But yes, the rest of it is bleed air from the 5th compressor stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post

But virologist Dr Tang disagrees: "The problem is that if you're sitting next to somebody - 0.6 metres in economy, say - who's coughing and sneezing in that immediate area, that aerosol will reach you before it has time to reach the filtration system, get filtered and come back down again."

You have cherry picked the only negative quote from that article. Even Dr Tang concludes he will still fly (with a mask).

Quote Originally Posted by Jaa View Post
    You have cherry picked the only negative quote from that article. Even Dr Tang concludes he will still fly (with a mask).
    Dr Tang, meanwhile, says he would fly with precautions. "If I get on a plane, I'll be wearing a mask. It's not 100% but at least I'll have some protection."

That sounds very much to me like If I have to fly, I will with precautions. I don't have to fly so won't and I'd bet good money (and have) that the real nub of the issue is that
    flying has completely flipped on its head from something you enjoy when you want too to something you endure when you have too.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Membaa

Dr Tang, meanwhile, says he would fly with precautions. "If I get on a plane, I'll be wearing a mask. It's not 100% but at least I'll have some protection."

That sounds very much to me like If I have to fly, I will with precautions. I don't have to fly so won't and I'd bet good money (and have) that the real nub of the issue is that
    flying has completely flipped on its head from something you enjoy when you want too to something you endure when you have too.
    Totally agree with that, I’m not extending a contract that requires me to fly to the COVID capital of NZ. Auckland. Stuff that. Might be a while until something comes up that I can do from home or a local office but I’m not into the airline commuter thing anymore.

Guru

Need to pick another expert.
    It would also be good if people followed the advice that if you are coughing and sneezing don't go on a plane (or train, or bus, or shopping etc).
    I don't think your patronage will be missed.

Everybody so so happy

Jeez 70,000 is a lot of passengers ....and more happy people to come

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/business/...-rules-relaxed

One good thing ...hope it’ll stop the people of Queenstown whinging on and on
    Last edited by winner69; 15-09-2020 at 10:09 AM.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post

One good thing ...hope it’ll stop the people of Queenstown whinging on and on
    Let's hope it stops that hypocrite Jim Boult whining. Probably not, will be something else next.

As a ratepayer in the district, hope we get a decent contender against him for mayor.

Guru

Sorry. how many people per plane?

Is the government funding this tiki tour of 70,000 passengers?

part of the plan....

Not taking up MR O plan for direct bond buying was a big mistake also the selling of the entire cap raising program to the RBNZ is also a mistake.

Its still a hard landing wheels up.

but gets some tourism going..at the shareholders expense.

did govt twist the ceo's arm...
    Last edited by Waltzing; 15-09-2020 at 12:20 PM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Waltzingironmansinlgescul View Post
    Sorry. how many people per plane?

Is the government funding this tiki tour of 70,000 passengers?

part of the plan....

Not taking up MR O plan for direct bond buying was a big mistake also the selling of the entire cap raising program to the RBNZ is also a mistake.

Its still a hard landing wheels up.

but gets some tourism going..at the shareholders expense.

did govt twist the ceo's arm...
    I have just booked tickets for 2 of us to go to an AGM in Auckland next month. $148 return from Wellington. Sweet deal. Normally we would be looking at at least double that. I suppose the seats are there and available so the marginal cost is zero if its the middle seat they are selling.