sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow Bob View Post
    Likely those cabin crew based in Shanghai are for their routings in/out of China, and how many of the proposed redundancies speak Chinese?

Given current Covid status, could see flights to/from China coming back before the US and other destinations.
    The cabin crew in China have been furloughed and are not even flying currently so yet another beat up about not much. Crew on the current Shanghai flights are all NZ based.

The problem with allowing visitors from China is one of trust. There is a huge social stigma to be diagnosed with COVID in China so lots of incentive to hide it both for individuals and the various layers of bureaucracy. So 14 days quarantine would still be required as China itself requires for visitors from NZ. Not that there is any room in MIQ facilities anyway.

Much more likely for NZ to allow Pacific and Australian visitors a shorter stay in quarantine with a test at day 2 and release on day 3 for home quarantine once negative. Taiwan and Hong Kong have shown how to do this with app based monitoring, regular temperature/health checks and a second test at home at day 10. Will increase the risk but should be manageable.

Most people I know are still very concerned about the number of people in managed isolation and quarantine with Covid and whether 14 days is really long enough. The real concern is leaks at the border and if people are allowed to self isolate the risk will rise exponentially. The groundswell of opinion is the system needs to be further refined and further tightened up not loosened.

The culture of entitlement runs very deep at AIR. No wonder Greg Foran is ruffling feathers. He still has a truly massive task ahead to transform this business into one that will be internationally competitive going forward. Expect fireworks on the industrial relations front for quite some time.
    Last edited by Beagle; 03-11-2020 at 05:54 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Most people I know are still very concerned about the number of people in managed isolation and quarantine with Covid and whether 14 days is really long enough. The real concern is leaks at the border and if people are allowed to self isolate the risk will rise exponentially. The groundswell of opinion is the system needs to be further refined and further tightened up not loosened.

The culture of entitlement runs very deep at AIR. No wonder Greg Foran is ruffling feathers. He still has a truly massive task ahead to transform this business into one that will be internationally competitive going forward. Expect fireworks on the industrial relations front for quite some time.
    There is no question 14 days is long enough. That is not the issue. Slack management of the isolation hotels and the borders is the issue. Don't confuse the two.
    Last edited by iceman; 04-11-2020 at 08:50 AM.

I wonder why this is. Taiwan has self isolation - supported by a mandatory cell phone app and police checking whether you stay at you chosen self isolation place. Numbers show the system works perfectly, they do have less cases than New Zealand and never needed a lock down.

Nobody there breaks the self isolation to buy booze or go on a shopping spree. Are Kiwis really such a lousy undisciplined bunch of morons that they need to be locked up to follow the rules? It appears that we all have to pay a high price for the lack of discipline and stupidity of a small number of idiots in our community.

We should be ashamed of ourselves and of the way at least some of us educated our children ... we do not need more border restrictions, we need to reintroduce some respect and discipline ...
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post

We should be ashamed of ourselves and of the way at least some of us educated our children ... we do not need more border restrictions, we need to reintroduce some respect and discipline ...
    Totally agree with your last comment. Interestingly I had an Indian cab driver yesterday who also said the same thing. He though there was a lack of respect to elders when compared with India.

The question is, how do you reintroduce respect and discipline as part of a culture?

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    I wonder why this is. Taiwan has self isolation - supported by a mandatory cell phone app and police checking whether you stay at you chosen self isolation place. Numbers show the system works perfectly, they do have less cases than New Zealand and never needed a lock down.

Nobody there breaks the self isolation to buy booze or go on a shopping spree. Are Kiwis really such a lousy undisciplined bunch of morons that they need to be locked up to follow the rules? It appears that we all have to pay a high price for the lack of discipline and stupidity of a small number of idiots in our community.

Off topic but I lay the blame squarely at the feet of Sue Bradford and her ilk with their anti smacking nonsense. Spare the rod and spoil the child.
    Thanks to do gooders like her a whole generation have grown up with never feeling the pain of a decent caning on one's backside and think they can act in any way whatsoever they feel like or worse still do whatever their mates on fakebook, Instagram and other social media platforms dare them to do. They then crash headlong into a judicial system that bends over backwards not to imprison people. Really...people escaping from quarantine are risking 5,000,000 people's lives and the judicial system needs to take that threat extremely seriously not the nonsense we get at present...like oh you poor little thing, your mental health was stressed, let me smack you gently on the back of the hand with a wet bus ticket and wipe away your tears.
    Where's my vomit bag, do AIR have any left ? End of frustrated rant.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Off topic but I lay the blame squarely at the feet of Sue Bradford and her ilk with their anti smacking nonsense. Spare the rod and spoil the child.
    Thanks to do gooders like her a whole generation have grown up with never feeling the pain of a decent caning on one's backside and think they can act in any way whatsoever they feel like or worse still do whatever their mates on fakebook, Instagram and other social media platforms dare them to do. They then crash headlong into a judicial system that bends over backwards not to imprison people. Really...people escaping from quarantine are risking 5,000,000 people's lives and the judicial system needs to take that threat extremely seriously not the nonsense we get at present...like oh you poor little thing, your mental health was stressed, let me smack you gently on the back of the hand with a wet bus ticket and wipe away your tears.
    Where's my vomit bag, do AIR have any left ? End of frustrated rant.
    Yawn. Stick to the topic. You’re less boring when you’re on point.
    Last edited by biker; 04-11-2020 at 05:09 PM.

@phillipkirk6
    Feeling a little sad as yet another Air New Zealand B777-200ER heads off from LAX to Roswell for possibly it’s last flight.

https://twitter.com/philipkirk6/stat...798066177?s=21

Is this another writeoff for AIR
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Guru

well i see the Ceo just got a big dump of shares today....

maybe every one in air line crew could also get a few issued in lew of employment.

dilution is coming anyway.... i hope they all got a huge layoff package ...and then AIR is forced into an early cap raise down to 50 cents... like a few billion shares issued.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Waltzingironmansinlgescul View Post
    well i see the Ceo just got a big dump of shares today....

maybe every one in air line crew could also get a few issued in lew of employment.

dilution is coming anyway.... i hope they all got a huge layoff package ...and then AIR is forced into an early cap raise down to 50 cents... like a few billion shares issued.
    must be chipping into Robertson's High Usury Loan a fair bit now

think I'll continue watching the bubbles of debt sailing along on thermals .. from a safe distance
    until indication of the size of the dilution scalpel becomes known ..