sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Quote Originally Posted by Waltzingironmansinlgescul View Post
    well i see the Ceo just got a big dump of shares today....

maybe every one in air line crew could also get a few issued in lew of employment.

dilution is coming anyway.... i hope they all got a huge layoff package ...and then AIR is forced into an early cap raise down to 50 cents... like a few billion shares issued.
    This is just so typical of Air NZ management. Laying off all their lowest paid employees, while taking a measly 10% pay cut from their $800k+ per year salaries and issuing themselves more shares in the company to offset any perceived salary sacrifice.

Happened under Luxon also, told all frontline employees there was no money for a bonus so paid them $100 each (before tax) as their annual bonus, then after the fact, its disclosed he left with a $2.4m golden handshake, after being paid an annual salary of $4m+ per year.

I'm not a share holder, would like to be, but while the current muppets are running the show, I wouldn't touch it with a 20ft barge pole.

Guru

i agree but i would go farther and call it a spirit of theft...i am a supporter of markets but not at the expense of all parties and this sort of practise has to be called for what it is.
    Last edited by Waltzing; 07-11-2020 at 10:10 AM.

SP might see a bounce based on this piece of news.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavir...anity-12128452

Quote Originally Posted by Ballr View Post

not sure people and the industry as a whole will be totally reassured, 90% effective rate translates into a 10% failure rate ?

"To provide context, A more than 90% effective coronavirus vaccine would be roughly on par with one dose of a measles vaccination, which is about 93% effective, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Comparatively, the CDC says a vaccine for influenza reduces the risk of flu illness by between 40% to 60% among the overall population."

Still the upper middle class people of the world who are older, often boomers with underlying health issues, will they take the risk on given a 10% failure rate? Assuming death is not the concern but longer term compromised health, which is now well documented for covid, I'm still not sure I will be jumping on planes and travelling like I use to... I Know I was within the market segment doing most of the high frequency and high end travel.
    Last edited by Raz; 10-11-2020 at 05:57 AM.

That's a fair shout, and a good idea to benchmark how this success rate compares to other vaccinations. I'm not completely convinced that this is the final vaccine that the world is waiting for, but considering we accept measles vax with a 7% failure rate, I doubt a lot of (struggling) economies would reject a 10% failure rate for their populations.

Pfizer and co would need to give more intel to the market on the 10% who do get it, if they fare better or worse than the mean.

Also, just checked, and the Dow Jones U.S. Travel & Leisure Index (Google DJUSCG) is up 9% today!

As far as I have heard, we only need 60-70% of the population immune to have herd immunity. I suspect that 90% may be more than we need - if it works.

Quote Originally Posted by shapeg View Post
    As far as I have heard, we only need 60-70% of the population immune to have herd immunity. I suspect that 90% may be more than we need - if it works.
    Yes, but to reach 90% immunity in the population you would need to vaccinate 100% of the people.

I hear already the howling of the anti-vaccers ...
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Indeed - well spotted. I realised that after I pushed the post button. If it looks like an effective vaccine and we get 90% sign up for it then we could hope for 90% x 90% = 81% immunity? Woo Hoo. Anyway, I invested $10k in AIR 2 days ago as a speculation on the vaccine and a travel bubble opening so the end result is good so far .......................

Quote Originally Posted by Ballr View Post

nice trade already

Not sure why this ran so hard.Any recovery in travel would still be two years away