sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Arbroath View Post
    After extorting $400 from me last weekend I will never fly AIR again where I have a choice which funnily enough is every time I fly overseas in future and as an affluent 40 year old is decades of flying.

Won’t bore you with the details but I’ve been a supporter and flyer of AIR for nearly 30 years and that is all gone with one very poor experience. That $400 gouge out of me will lose them tens of thousands of dollars in future bookings. Some might call them dumb.
    Some people are very fickle.
    40yrs old and flying for 30 yrs - well done.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    Some people are very fickle.
    40yrs old and flying for 30 yrs - well done.
    True enough about fickleness. It’s not even the $400 that irks. It was the way we were treated. Really no skin off my nose as there are plenty of airlines. Just thought people might be interested as first flew at 12 and have done quite a bit of business flying, though not anymore, and will be flying quite a bit in future. I could put it down to one bad experience I guess...but when customers have choices that’s all you need to point you in a different direction.

Jarden rate AIR SELL !
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Jarden rate AIR SELL !
    Not before time ... but hey, given that thy are seen as part of the "smart money" it is a relieve they got their eventually.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

... have power to make you great

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Fran O’Sullivan moaning about AIRfares ...she just doesn’t get it

@FranOSullivan
    Many of the @FlyAirNZ tickets for flights between Auckland and Wellington now hitting $408 (each way) for seat only. I thought dynamic pricing - aka price gouging - was over. C'mon @FlyAirNZ you can do better.
    Went to Wellington last weekend and traveled by car ... long and tiring trip I can tell you. 400 bucks is about the price you pay for a good meal for four at restaurants and cafes

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Jarden rate AIR SELL !

Surely not ..

Last ones off lash down the Wings to the deck incase things slide sideways badly ..

Quote Originally Posted by Habits View Post
    Went to Wellington last weekend and traveled by car ... long and tiring trip I can tell you. 400 bucks is about the price you pay for a good meal for four at restaurants and cafes
    Excellent point.

Hearing self-described wealthy people whinge over the price of a nice meal or two is my least favourite form of post. Expecting a loss making company that has had to cut benefits, wages and 30-50% of staff to fund the unsustainable climate destroying lifestyle one has become accustomed to reflects really poorly on the poster.

Lots of people in travel and tourism are doing it very tough this year. Bit of perspective goes a long way in life.

Some good news not mentioned here:

A few countries moving towards a 7 (Singapore) or 10 day (Malaysia) hotel quarantine period followed by in some cases more days at home with a wristband. Lots of research now suggesting infected people are most infectious in the first few days after infection. As infamously demonstrated by Donald Trump.

NZ has a lot to lose and thus is understandably risk adverse to changing what has worked so well but some risk adjusted changes could work. Flights to NZ are long so that builds in a bit of insurance.

A 10 day managed isolation period for people coming from low risk countries like Taiwan and Australia would help NZ free up quarantine space, increase international arrivals and gradually open borders.

Alternatively a 7 managed isolation quarantine period with a 7 day home quarantine period for people from low risk countries could also work. Make it optional and staying home with the wristband on compulsory on threat of prison time.
    Last edited by Jaa; 17-12-2020 at 03:55 PM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Habits View Post
    Flew AKL to Invercargill in about 1990 - absolute cheapest fare I could get $596.

Can fly return in January for $358.

People expect they can get cheap/discounted flights at the drop of a hat (I often do!). Has become expected and a lifestyle.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jaa View Post
    Excellent point.

Hearing self-described wealthy people whinge over the price of a nice meal or two is my least favourite form of post. Expecting a loss making company that has had to cut benefits, wages and 30-50% of staff to fund the unsustainable climate destroying lifestyle one has become accustomed to reflects really poorly on the poster.

Lots of people in travel and tourism are doing it very tough this year. Bit of perspective goes a long way in life.
    I hope you’re doing your bit Jaa. We have been tripping around the South Island supporting tourism businesses and on the west coast it is amazingly quiet. One restaurant owner who had 3 restaurants and 95 staff now is only operating one evenings only and has laid off 80 staff.

My issue is with a terrible attitude to a long term customer from AIR. Won’t be supporting them anymore but will continue supporting small tourism businesses.