sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Default Battery aeroplanes

Quote Originally Posted by mikelee View Post
    bio fuel will not be practical for a while I reckon, I believe some kind of hybrid, with battery power, will be more likely. After all, planes don't have to worry about stop and go, like a car, so just need to use battery for take off and landing to maximise fuel saving.
    Gasoline energy density is 47.5 MJ/kg. A lithium-ion battery pack has about 0.3 MJ/kg . Gasoline thus has about 100 times the energy density of a lithium-ion battery.
    Battery planes unlikely for long distance travel with current technology.

AIR loves a good greenwash

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Gasoline energy density is 47.5 MJ/kg. A lithium-ion battery pack has about 0.3 MJ/kg . Gasoline thus has about 100 times the energy density of a lithium-ion battery.
    Interesting. Can you unpack that for me a bit more ?
    If I put 60 liters of fuel in my car I might drive for 600 km's. I understand petrol weigh's about 0.75 kg a liter so 60 x 0.75 = 45 kg fuel = 600 km's.
    Some EV's with 600 kg lithium ion battery packs are doing up to 600 km's range. 600 / 45 = 13 times the weight to expend the same amount of energy, not 100 ?
    What am I not understanding here ?
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Adding to the above, the weight of fuel on the aircraft also reduces through the course of the flight, while the battery packs will continue to weigh the same amount throughout.

Short domestic flights might work, but it will be interesting to see the detailed economics of a battery powered aircraft given the lower number of seats, lower cargo capacity, decreased availability for service (mostly related to charging times), and higher aircraft cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    If I put 60 liters of fuel in my car I might drive for 600 km's. I understand petrol weigh's about 0.75 kg a liter so 60 x 0.75 = 45 kg fuel = 600 km's.
    Some EV's with 600 kg lithium ion battery packs are doing up to 600 km's range. 600 / 45 = 13 times the weight to expend the same amount of energy, not 100 ?
    One factor here will be the fact that electric can take advantage of a higher degree of regeneration compared to petrol, and of course electric motor has much greater conversion efficiency than ICE (60% vs 20%)
    Last edited by Poet; 17-09-2021 at 10:09 AM.

Worse. Plus add in 45 mins minimum plus alternate for IFR. Then for that Cessna Caravan $500t usd or nzd? for a charger at each airport. Probably no more than 200km apart. This is just impossible . To fly it to Auckland Wellington 2 recharges say total flight time of 8hrs. To bring it in dismantle. To sell it overseas dismantle.
    Last edited by Dassets; 17-09-2021 at 11:18 AM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Dassets View Post
    Worse. Plus add in 45 mins minimum plus alternate for IFR. Then for that Cessna Caravan $500t usd or nzd? for a charger at each airport. Probably no more than 200km apart. This is just impossible . To fly it to Auckland Wellington 2 recharges say total flight time of 8hrs. To bring it it dismantle. To sell it overseas dismantle.
    Impossible today is old hat tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    The density figures provided by Doug give you an idea of how much energy can be packed into a given space and explains why the battery pack used in a vehicle is so much larger than a fuel tank. Electric vehicles store much smaller amounts of energy on board, but are generally more efficient at using that stored energy. Basically, the calculations you've made above don't reflect all of the variables involved and might not be the best way to draw energy use comparisons between the two. It gets pretty complicated!
    Last edited by Zaphod; 17-09-2021 at 10:18 AM.

Go The Warriors "This Year!"

So who pays for the upgrades needed to the runways at all these regional airports to allow for the heavier landing weights of these new aircraft?

over the last week there have been two bearish engulfing candles on the daily.
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....