sharetrader
Page 336 of 2020 FirstFirst ... 2362863263323333343353363373383393403463864368361336 ... LastLast
Results 3,351 to 3,360 of 20194

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

I had to re read and re read the article as I couldn't believe the cheekiness of the proposal! Currently, I have an automatic monthly deduction from my NZ account for my donations, it is not an insignificant amount and forms a portion of my outgoings. I have chosen to donate and I use my dividend income to support this. AIR.NZ do not need to get me to give up my dividend. And yes, all employees should give up a portion of their salaries into the scheme. I second the comment that many mum and dad investors will be using the dividends for much needed income! I am not impressed. Although, I would like to add that people with the means should be donating on a regular basis...time and / or money (there are many different avenues).

Investor

Couldn't agree more BeeBop..its not AIR's business to donate mum and dad's divvies for their cause. We all do our bit to support community causes in one way or other. And its very cheeky to target mum and dad investor in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by sb9 View Post
    Couldn't agree more BeeBop..its not AIR's business to donate mum and dad's divvies for their cause. We all do our bit to support community causes in one way or other. And its very cheeky to target mum and dad investor in my opinion.
    Cheeky AND disingenuous in as much as this is an airline company, (heavy environmental polluter) where many senior management and pilot's are vastly better placed with income many times the national average income to make more worthwhile financial contributions to environmental causes. The company has clearly stepped outside its operational mandate. It is never for a company to suggest to its owners what to do with their dividends. Shame on them for ramming this environmental B.S. down shareholders throats. Fine if they want to buy electric vehicles and build a big solar array as long as the economic fundamentals mean they're not being green just for the sake of being politically correct, i.e. there's a genuine business case for it.
    As Beebop has suggested above, many people have their own charitable causes or religious beliefs which they support financially, with their time, or both. I'll be suggesting to management they spend more time doing something productive like I dunno...here's a good idea....working on ways to keep the planes full...this suggestion and emoji is for AIR's management..get back to work on useful projects that are properly within the scope of the companies activities

On a brighter note, at first glance the August 2015 operating stat's look fine. Taking into account the company on average appears to hold about 2.5 months of sales / total forward flight bookings at any one time, I would assume on average most of August flight bookings were made well into the 2015 calendar year and its now clear from the GDP data in the March and June quarters that most of 2015 has been economically quite soft with very low growth. Despite these softer economic conditions prevailing for 2015, all of this year's monthly operating stat's have been just as firm as 2014's were when economic times were better, hmmm, interesting. Maybe now that flights are arguably cheaper in real terms than ever before demand is less susceptible to softer economic conditions ? (All of the monthly operating stat's to date in 2015 suggest this looks like the case). With record low mortgage rates and slightly lower fuel prices maybe Mr and Mrs Joe average are happy to book ahead and enjoy the cheap flights often on offer irrespective of how the dairy farmers are faring ?
    Last edited by Beagle; 23-09-2015 at 05:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    The company has clearly stepped outside its operational mandate. It is never for a company to suggest to its owners what to do with their dividends.
    Agree entirely with your comment above Roger. Absolutely appalling for them to try to use the dividends of their poorest shareholders for a corporate green washing exercise. Let management contribute their own fat salaries and options to causes only they get to decide if they are so passionate about them.

Air NZ should spend more time walking the walk of sustainability through lean operations and cleer engineering led solutions. Less time and resources on flashy reports, consultants (Derek Handley!) and invite only functions where everyone can feel better about themselves and then drive home in big expensive cars or fly back to where ever they came from.

And I consider myself a greenie!

Re operating stats: still looking good, the real test will be from December when Jetstar start flying regionally and AIR NZ's two big new routes are operational.

Guru

From what I read it is voluntary participation.

As long as it's not rammed down our throats then I don't care

Missed by that much

Quote Originally Posted by 777 View Post
    From what I read it is voluntary participation.
    It would have to be voluntary, otherwise IRD would be interested. No-one would be able to claim they are buying AIR as an investment for dividends if they were not able to receive any dividends.

Guru

So why the agro in the above posts?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 777 View Post
    So why the agro in the above posts?
    Targeting the small fry investors as they have stated they will is wrong and that's worth standing up against. It's not agro from my viewpoint but rather a strong show of disaproval at an out of place idea.
    Last edited by couta1; 24-09-2015 at 07:07 AM.

Guru

Has AirNZ stated that or is it simply the journalist who wrote the article? The latter I think. He/she decided the cutoff for being a small shareholder as having 10000 or less shares. How the hell did that come up with that.

I doubt that there will be much take up of the scheme so it will be a waste time anyway.