sharetrader
Page 402 of 2019 FirstFirst ... 3023523923983994004014024034044054064124525029021402 ... LastLast
Results 4,011 to 4,020 of 20188

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
    One way, sorry, but you also get to see Melbourne and LA airports!!
    Yuck!--lets hope AIR can do something reasonable around June (I would probably get bashed in the head for looking like a Zombie upon arrival.(especially with all the new tv shows on the subject in N America)
    Last edited by skid; 12-11-2015 at 02:18 PM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    AIR have done crazy specials to LA and Vancouver for $999 return before on grabaseat, usually in the shoulder / off season but if you are price driven and flexible with your dates then the patient puppy gets rewarded
    Not too many specials Auckland to Queenstown
    Think I saw $49 but may have been Jetstar

Singapore Airlines has Scoot, Qantas has Jetstar so I wouldn't rule it out as a possibility. Maybe they could keep some of the old 767-300's they're retiring next year, (which would have basically been depreciated down to almost nothing in their books), and use them. Saw a couple of them land at the airport the other day. Amazing what a lick of new paint does to an old plane.
    Flew on a 767-300 yesterday AKL-MEL; 98% full. Old Business Class seats (not lie-flat) but still comfortable and the usual excellent and friendly service. Good food too, recommend the beef. No reason why they can't keep using them for some time yet, especially if most of the Business Class pax are full-fare rather than just upgrade, as the flight attendant thought. If the demand trans-tasman / pacific islands and the occasional charter flight is there then why not continue to use them in a supplementary role if they are written down to nothing.

Default Consumer confidence rebounding nicely

http://www.sharechat.co.nz/article/3...n-novemberhtml

I wonder what people will do with all their extra money when mortgage rates hit 3.99% next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Robomo View Post
    Flew on a 767-300 yesterday AKL-MEL; 98% full. Old Business Class seats (not lie-flat) but still comfortable and the usual excellent and friendly service. Good food too, recommend the beef. No reason why they can't keep using them for some time yet, especially if most of the Business Class pax are full-fare rather than just upgrade, as the flight attendant thought. If the demand trans-tasman / pacific islands and the occasional charter flight is there then why not continue to use them in a supplementary role if they are written down to nothing.
    Good point mate. According to the annual report the average age of the 5 767-300's in their fleet is 19.8 years as at 30 June 2015 so nearly 21 years by next June. I know their policy is to write down aircraft on a straight line basis over 18 years so in the books they will have a value of close to zero if not so already. I guess its contingent on demand. I remember when these were state of the art new aircraft...I guess I'm getting old

AA make a major announcement on new route so AIR get thumped so when AIR make a major announcement they should bounce higher right
    Last edited by Beagle; 12-11-2015 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robomo View Post
    Required maintenance of 767s make them uneconomic to keep. When done with they will more than likely go to the scrap heap.

Quote Originally Posted by tony64peter View Post
    Required maintenance of 767s make them uneconomic to keep. When done with they will more than likely go to the scrap heap.
    Not so, read this announcement from Chris Luxon in the Australian Aviation Magazine of 9 June 2015

"Air New Zealand chief executive Christopher Luxon says the airline’s Boeing 767-300ERs are likely to remain in the fleet longer than what had been initially planned to take advantage of new flying opportunities.

The airline is expected to end 2014/15 with five 767s, with the type projected to be fully withdrawn by the end of 2017/18 according to a slide presentation accompanying the airline’s first half results presented in February.

However, Luxon says the 767s may stick around beyond that to serve the Pacific Islands, Australia and some “fly and flop” outbound NZ destinations.

“It is a real option that we have and we probably will extend them I suspect just a couple more years,” Luxon told reporters on the sidelines of the International Air Transport Association (IATA) annual general meeting in Miami on Monday.

“That’s because at the moment our capacity growth in this last six months of this year is about 12 per cent and all of next year it will be around 11 per cent.

“So we are growing fast and we are growing profitably through creating this demand and then adding the supply and the capacity that we need.”

In addition to maintaining the 767s, Air NZ also had options for six more 787-9s beyond the confirmed order for 12 of the type due for delivery between now and the end of 2018/19.

Luxon said Air NZ’s three 787-9s currently in service had performed better than the airline’s own lofty expectations."

It all comes down to cost-benefit. In these days of cheap fuel the fuel-hungry engines of the 767 don't cost as much to run so despite higher maintenance they still make a profit. I can't imagine for 1 minute that AirNZ would continue to fly them if they made a loss!
    Last edited by Robomo; 12-11-2015 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Spelling!

Investor

AA make a major announcement on new route so AIR get thumped so when AIR make a major announcement they should bounce higher right
    Expect more upsurge tomorrow on the back of that announcement.

Advanced Member

A question - AIR was looking great until this weeks competition announcements on US routes, did the charts predict this because I thought the trend was looking pretty good?

Vietnam it is (according to Stuff)

http://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/7...unce-new-route
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”