sharetrader
Page 409 of 2019 FirstFirst ... 3093593994054064074084094104114124134194595099091409 ... LastLast
Results 4,081 to 4,090 of 20188

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Dilettante

Robomo you were right about one thing and that is I put in the wrong number about booking separately. $ 717 was indeed only Auckland-Apia. But I can get the domestic leg return for $158 which makes is just on $100 cheaper per person. All flights that would not have any risk of missing Samoa flight. We have noticed this many times when flying with AIR, i.e. that we get significantly cheaper fares by booking domestic legs separately. So the point I was making stands. I am just suggesting people be aware of this if booking tickets from regional NZ. AIR is not our friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Robomo View Post
    Checked your figures Iceman and your Nelson-Apia-Nelson fare of $977 is correct. You then quote a per person separate fare of $717 but this is only Auckland-Apia-Auckland. You forgot to add the Nelson-Auckland-Nelson fare as well, which adds another $238 ($162 on Jetstar).

The total is thus $955, $22 cheaper than the Nelson-Apia-Nelson fare.
    BUT, don't forget that if there is a delay on the NSN-AKL sector and you miss your Apia flight then you've lost your money as ANZ are not responsible for missed connections where you have made the booking as two separate journeys (Nelson-Auckland, then Auckland-Apia) rather than one journey (Nelson-Apia). If you book Nelson-Apia as one journey and you miss your connection in Auckland for reasons beyond your control (weather, mechanical, flight delay etc) then ANZ would put you up for the night, feed you and transfer you to the next flight without penalty. The same also applies to the return journey. Thus the $22 difference can be seen as 'insurance'.

You have done ANZ a disservice in your post and I hope you now acknowledge your mistake and correct your statement that ANZ is fleecing people in the regions. Roger would also appreciate an apology.
    Thanks Robomo I appreciate the effort you have gone too in correcting Iceman's mistake and the points you make about missed connections and AIR covering you in that regard are extremely well made.
    The other things are that you get what you pay for in life. Flying the other day to Napier, free tea or coffee, free decent sized biscuit, free water, and lollie on decent into Napier to help with changes in air pressure with descending altitude. That's service from a polite and engaging air hostess three times during a 50 minute flight and all while flying on a shiny new ATR600 aircraft.

On a one hour twenty minute flight from Napier in an extremely old Q300 Jetstar aircraft you'll get no service whatsoever unless you pay extra...(in my experience you'll be lucky if you get a smile from the dour crew who one would assume are generally predisposed that way because they'd prefer to work for a better airline).

The France thing is horrific, no question...and I would hesitate to suggest we should in any way want to profit from that but to be honest, if anything, in terms of relative destination choice for tourists it makes tourism to this safe and clean part of the world all the more attractive I would have thought.
    Last edited by Beagle; 15-11-2015 at 10:12 AM.

IMO

Air NZ has been fleecing us for a long time in the provincial centres no doubt about that. Competition is good for business and us; i for one don't care about bikkies and tea for the short time in the Air. A high % of Flyers will be going on price; yes even Roger the multi post Jetheap knocker.

Membaa

The cheapest Air fare (carry on only) from Paraparaumu to Auckland at $279 one way(!) $558 return is terrific for shareholders, the plane will be packed full and returning a nice profit on the way to $1bn in 2017. Besides, the fare is tax deductable for the majority of travellers on that route who are on business, so another benefit from Air, minimising our company tax and enhancing NZ Inc profitability.
    ✈️🤑

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    Air NZ has been fleecing us for a long time in the provincial centres no doubt about that. Competition is good for business and us; i for one don't care about bikkies and tea for the short time in the Air. A high % of Flyers will be going on price; yes even Roger the multi post Jetheap knocker.
    Fleecing is not designated Air NZ jargon ( except for Baa of course ) - the correct term is enhanced passenger yield....

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
    Hi Tim...Charts are not perfect predictors and aren't really designed for that.....We Chartists use crystal balls for our predicting

Charts are reasonably good at picking up subtle investor behavioural changes and when it happens at say pre-announcement time it catches the chartist's attention..
    At this stage the Chartist turns detective and tries to sort out if that investor behavioural change is:...
    1....mostly due to possible insider trading (legal onesand illegal ones) and privileged released researched data stuff to clients ...which is a very good signal......
    .....or....
    2....a not so good signal..e.g when the company's shareholders are mostly the "excitable/emotional investor" type that speculates/worries, punts..
    ...and....
    3....sometimes the Market and Chartist alike are taken completely by surprise e.g when TA can't detect anything (there is no investor behavioural change) such as an out of favour companies which are completely leak proof.

You get to know which companies are which (consistent historic behaviour)..so using TA detection with these certain companies around announcement times is usually a good bet

As for AIR...It's difficult for me to understand...It's volatility is its only constant and why should that be?... looking at the shareholder list at least 90% of the shares issued are "managed"

Are any of those top 98 (those listed plus Roger and Couts) buying big time or selling out? Probably not as contented with their lot at the moment.

So the 'volatility' is really all those small shareholders who hold less than5% of the company just playing around (probably those nasty trader types)
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

I always wondered what it meant when Luxon said something along the lines that AIR would proactively provide access to next-generation niche markets

I get it now - it is all about our man Jones coming up with all these new routes - he a genius that guy. You talk to him at ASM Roger?
    Last edited by winner69; 15-11-2015 at 01:57 PM.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Robomo you were right about one thing and that is I put in the wrong number about booking separately. $ 717 was indeed only Auckland-Apia. But I can get the domestic leg return for $158 which makes is just on $100 cheaper per person. All flights that would not have any risk of missing Samoa flight. We have noticed this many times when flying with AIR, i.e. that we get significantly cheaper fares by booking domestic legs separately. So the point I was making stands. I am just suggesting people be aware of this if booking tickets from regional NZ. AIR is not our friend.
    Without derailing this thread any further, comparisons between booking domestic legs separately and as part of an international journey are fraught with difficulty.

An international Works Deluxe produce is similar to domestic Flexi Plus product (2x bags, flexibility etc.) which is why airlines use similar fare-buckets for a domestic sector culminating with an international sector. This is an industry standard across all airlines.

You will however often see special domestic add-on fares for $50 or $100 from AirNZ during sales periods.

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Are any of those top 98 (those listed plus Roger and Couts) buying big time or selling out? Probably not as contented with their lot at the moment.

So the 'volatility' is really all those small shareholders who hold less than5% of the company just playing around (probably those nasty trader types)
    Aside from the odd re-balancing by a fund, most of the trades probably do come from those holding perhaps even just 2.91% of the total number of shares. Situation normal I guess!

DISC: I'm not amongst the top 96 holders.

Default Baa_Baa is wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Baa_Baa View Post
    The cheapest Air fare (carry on only) from Paraparaumu to Auckland at $279 one way(!) $558 return is terrific for shareholders, the plane will be packed full and returning a nice profit on the way to $1bn in 2017. Besides, the fare is tax deductable for the majority of travellers on that route who are on business, so another benefit from Air, minimising our company tax and enhancing NZ Inc profitability.
    ✈️🤑
    Oh dear, another gross exaggeration. You don't quote any dates for your "cheapest airfare of $558 return" so I've looked at three dates 16 November 2015, 16 December 2015, 16 February 2016. Typical 1 day business trip carry-on only; out in the morning, back at night (easy as there are usually only 2 flights a day for Paraparaumu - Auckland).

16 November (tomorrow) $518 return
    16 December (1 month from now) $403 return
    16 February (3 months from now) $248 return (Auckland - Paraparaumu return this day is $118 return)

So, Baa Baa where did you get your $558 figure from and why do you not qualify it as being on just one day (assuming that you are correct and that this fare actually exists somewhere)?

Being critical of a company is fine but if you going to quote examples then make sure they are correct and not plucked out of thin air. Your quote of "cheapest airfare {of} $558 return" is obviously badly wrong and needs your acknowledgement and correction.