sharetrader
Page 419 of 2019 FirstFirst ... 3193694094154164174184194204214224234294695199191419 ... LastLast
Results 4,181 to 4,190 of 20188

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeybycrikey View Post
    Glad to see that you edited your post. I thought that your original version might've been sailing a bit close to the wind.

I don't like to see anyone leave here permanently so hopefully we see Couta1 again because he has a lot to add, even if sometimes it is just to provide a bit of comic relief through his tales of buying high and selling low.
    He's learned a lot in a short period of time. Be good if you could say what you really wanted to say wouldn't it !!!! I am talking to him by e.mail so there is some hope. I just heard on the radio news at 5.00 p.m. that AIR N.Z has canned its Kapiti coast service to Christchurch and the stated reason will interest Baa Baa. (Because it is running at a loss). Use it, (Kapiti coast to Auckland) or lose it my friend and fight the Wellington traffic. I think that settles that debate which I am sure Baa Baa, I and Robomo enjoyed even if it was unfortunately misinterpreted by some to be an argument.
    Last edited by Beagle; 20-11-2015 at 05:09 PM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mikeybycrikey View Post
    I had never really considered where the "seat to suit" fares ended. According to their web site, it is Australia and the Pacific Islands, which seems to include as far as Bali and Hawaii. Makes me wonder if Vietnam is going to have this pricing as well. At least they are also have PE and Business on these flights too to help earn a bit of upsell.

http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/aussi...-seats-to-suit

While it allows the airline to have cheaper headline prices by excluding many things, by the time is gets to $120 extra to get the Works, over Seat Only, it makes it feel like you're paying for a top-quality restaurant and getting diner quality food. But then, I have never uderstood the appeal of the cattle-truck experience that Ryan Air provides but it obviously works for them.

Is Couta1 still banned? Or just MIA?
    Id have to agree on the ''seat to suit'' stategy on longer flights.to me its a cheap look(like the budget airlines) I would have thought that part of the marketing of a co. like AIR is that it is a premium airline. When they have a special you want the travel agent to be able to say ''and thats Air NZ with meals and luggage'' Im hoping ,(as a customer)the Viet Nam specials ,when they come,are just plain specials --not the sort of ''this much more for meals etc.''--IMO even pricing each way instead of RT is a pain that normally adds up to not such a great deal after all.
    In terms of advertising ,everyone does the ole ''great price for the 1% of allotted seats'' so often it works out a bit more than that super cheap price you see,but as long as its still good (not to much more)its fair game.(just one of those ad tricks they all use)
    As a shareholder you want them to make a tidy profit--As a customer you want a good special on a good airline --Hopefully both of those things can happen

Quote Originally Posted by skid View Post
    Id have to agree on the ''seat to suit'' stategy on longer flights.to me its a cheap look(like the budget airlines) I would have thought that part of the marketing of a co. like AIR is that it is a premium airline. When they have a special you want the travel agent to be able to say ''and thats Air NZ with meals and luggage'' Im hoping ,(as a customer)the Viet Nam specials ,when they come,are just plain specials --not the sort of ''this much more for meals etc.''--IMO even pricing each way instead of RT is a pain that normally adds up to not such a great deal after all.
    In terms of advertising ,everyone does the ole ''great price for the 1% of allotted seats'' so often it works out a bit more than that super cheap price you see,but as long as its still good (not to much more)its fair game.(just one of those ad tricks they all use)
    As a shareholder you want them to make a tidy profit--As a customer you want a good special on a good airline --Hopefully both of those things can happen
    I agree. Of course there's always a share of the market that also wants the cheapest fair possible. On those sectors that otherwise couldn't fill every seat, IMO it makes good business sense to offer a budget product like "seat only" fares. Remember too that unlike the LCC's, that seat could also be purchased by someone with a works/works deluxe package.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Zaphod View Post
    I agree. Of course there's always a share of the market that also wants the cheapest fair possible. On those sectors that otherwise couldn't fill every seat, IMO it makes good business sense to offer a budget product like "seat only" fares. Remember too that unlike the LCC's, that seat could also be purchased by someone with a works/works deluxe package.
    I know what your saying --but somehow its not the same--I still think that rather than accommodate more budgets ,it will just cheapen the look (but i may not be representative of the normal customer base)--IMO meals are a real psychological boost on a long haul--you feel like your being looked after-(thats alot different than knowing they are costing you another $75-$100)-otherwise everything is reduced to cost which is the realm of budget airlines. Lets not forget there are some pretty good airlines doing that route(approx--maybe via KL or BKK) There are other areas that can be used ,like deals with hotels (6 nights package) if they are good at negotiating in that area.
    Useing Viet Nam as an example--If they could come up with full service for say $1100 RT I think they would probably get pretty good amount of passengers

Those that want the cheapest fares possible are most likely going to ''rough it'' with Jetstar anyway.

My general approach (for what its worth) is Im not fussed about going with budget on shorter flights(domestic or say BKK-Hanoi) but like to go for a bit better with hopefully a sale on longer haul.

Just as a sidebar-THL looks to be the winner in all this--summer is coming and their chart is that great steady increase look rather than ups and downs--the airlines fighting it out while they reap the benefits of greater competition and the fact that NZ is kind of in that flavor of the month (Year) category--Its our time in the light(like OZ some years back)
    I didnt meet anyone while traveling that didnt go starry eyed when I mentioned NZ--(one girl actually said she got chills up her backbone upon mention)--Its easy to forget this when we live here.
    We may not be the clean green on the posters but when you go and see the rubbish and commercial decay in some other places,you come to appreciate more what is here.
    Last edited by skid; 21-11-2015 at 12:42 PM.

Hey skid, interesting comment you made: meals are a real psychological boost on a long haul--you feel like your being looked after.

Looked after? And suppose you could call what's dished up a meal

Maybe different in First Class where you hang out
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Guru

Me ,hanging out in first class? Even with ample assets ,thats not gonna happen (I dont think Im psychologically equipped for the high life)
    Ok, the meals are not always great(Thais good) but most of the time its still worth looking forward to (with the exception of those god awful getting woke up at the equivalent of 430am(bleary eyed) for a horrible breakfast of runny omelet and a chicken sausage) Argg!

It also helps to pass the time (even if you dont have a hope in hell of picking up your fork if you drop it with the cramped seating)--It also gives you a chance to stain your light colored pants

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
    I assumed that Sb9 ..I'm also assuming yesterday's low was attributed to that major seller so not many people to feel sorry for...
    I can probably blame my longevity in the share market scene in not feeling sorry for many investors especially those looking for a quick buck....especially this guy..A warning for others who play the shorts game
    Thats a fantastic link. Sorry for all those with shorts , as it were, but what a valuable lesson in greed, and bad luck.

Fair enough skid

Always seems ages for them to collect the left overs eh. I hate the mess sitting in e front of me for ages.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

I'm buying more today at $2.75. Best value share on the NZX by a country mile IMO. All naysayers are most welcome in the famous words of Client Eastwood to "Make my Day" and sell into that.
    Last edited by Beagle; 23-11-2015 at 10:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    I'm buying more today at $2.75. Best value share on the NZX by a country mile IMO. All naysayers are most welcome in the famous words of Client Eastwood to "Make my Day" and sell into that.
    cant be far from a top 10 shareholder !!!

great value and so were those airfares I booked to China last night - $639 each way.