sharetrader
Page 437 of 2019 FirstFirst ... 3373874274334344354364374384394404414474875379371437 ... LastLast
Results 4,361 to 4,370 of 20188

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Quote Originally Posted by stoploss View Post
    At least they offered you something . I wrote a letter after a recent trip 95 % of which was very good . Just pointing out where they had really let themselves down on the rest of the journey .
    They apologised that their standards were not met and forwarded the information to the airport team to so they can review where they went wrong .
    Not a drinks voucher , not an airpoint on offer ......... All will be forgotten if they keep the profitability up
    They didn't offer enough to even cover out of pocket expenses as a direct result of the delay. I think they are liable under the various acts they operate under and with time off over Christmas might just make it my mission to explore this further and have it play out in the public arena if they don't come back with something more substantial. Insurance has an excess and limit on what it covers, Air NZ can cover the rest and some to make up for the hassle in my opinion, $200 airpoints - not even close!!! I am appalled with how they are treating a frequent flyer business customer. Like many things its not just about the $, its about how they handle it and since the incident, its an epic fail (as my daughter would say).

Guru

Flew last week to HK and back.

Flight almost full heading there and completely chocka on the way back. Got upgraded to premium economy there and is sufficient when just heading there - good legroom etc. Probably got upgraded because cost over $3.3k for flights (from regional airport and then a small side trip).

On the way back couldn't use upgrade awards and in economy. I'm about 6'2" and reasonable build, but was sitting on the aisle. Leg room was tight but could have lived with it. However with 10 across (I think 777) it made the aisle too narrow and was getting CONSTANTLY bumped in the shoulder - quite often by one particular stewardess, which could be described as 'chunky'. It was quite frankly ridiculous. Sitting normally in the seat, and shoulder protrudes into the aisle.

However the service was excellent, and staff very good. Again probably helps that the guy I was with is Gold Elite, and at least 3 staff came and specifically talked to us, bought water, served us meals first, etc etc.

Talking to them near the end, the staff hate the narrowness of the aisle, were quite apologetic and say the new planes are even worse. Reckon will be a lot of staff around with hip problems in the future!

Guru

so here you have it--Staff are great,but the accountants have taken over on what is offered in the way of comfort--If people put up with this-then the bottom line will of course benefit(and so will shareholders) but if enough people get fed up with cramped seating(including staff) well..customers will go elsewhere if they have a choice,and it will be a stretch to be talking about our ''premium'' airline.
    This is where number crunching and marketing foresight collide.
    Speaking of number crunching ...Roger ..we still love you and have a good Christmas (and that goes to all )

Guru

But skid the same accountants are in all airlines. The public demand low fares so the airlines have to cram more seats in.

Anyway a Merry Christmas to Roger as well and to everyone else for that matter.

I second that. Roger, we miss you, as we do the other posters who have been given a posting holiday. Lets hope you all return in the New Year - your contributions are invaluable and help 'rookie' investors like me immensely. Thanks to all for the posts this year. I've taken much of the information provided and have settled on a decent holding in AIR - one I am very happy with given the current SP. I still think AIR will cross the $3 threshold in 2016 - and then continue climbing to unprecedented altitudes. Merry Christmas to all.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by skid View Post
    so here you have it--Staff are great,but the accountants have taken over on what is offered in the way of comfort--If people put up with this-then the bottom line will of course benefit(and so will shareholders) but if enough people get fed up with cramped seating(including staff) well..customers will go elsewhere if they have a choice,and it will be a stretch to be talking about our ''premium'' airline.
    This is where number crunching and marketing foresight collide.
    Speaking of number crunching ...Roger ..we still love you and have a good Christmas (and that goes to all )
    Absolutely spot on Skid. Can do all the fancy things very well, but if cram the punters in uncomfortably for 11 hours, then will start to look elsewhere.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by 777 View Post
    But skid the same accountants are in all airlines. The public demand low fares so the airlines have to cram more seats in.

Anyway a Merry Christmas to Roger as well and to everyone else for that matter.
    Sorry 777, but all airlines do not cram that amount of seats in a plane--There are some who still compete and provide more comfort to boot-Its just a fact--but whether this will affect the bottom line--well,the answer is blowing in the wind

Fuel prices to remain low and more and more people flying

News is full of booming airline profits.

Globally, profits are "unprecedented" said Chris Sloan, founder and president of AirwaysNews.com.

AIR half year announced soon - operating profit in excess of 1/2 billion bucks? Quite possible,after all they indicated at least $400m a few months ago and things have got better since.

Share price under $3 - time to back the truck up
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

I read an article today where the Delta CEO claimed in October (with various follow up articles if you care to Google this topic) that he could purchase used Boeing 777 for 10 million & Boeing told the media he was wrong: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...lion-777-price - well turns out he wasn't. They've now agreed to purchase a 10 year old 777 for 7.7 million, which certainly made me sit up considering the lowest price i've seen quoted 10 years ago was 170 million (and current list price today I have seen quoted as 277 million), which is either a 95.47% or 97.22% discount depending on which number you believe).

For me, it does give a bit more credibility to his claims that there is a bit of an oversupply of these older planes coming off lease's soon: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...ing-stock-gain

I would be keen to hear from those with a better understanding of the numbers than myself on the potential of a carrier purchasing these planes at a reduced rate combined with crude being so low and what impact this could have on competition for the airline industry globally and more specifically AIR which is currently ramping up its capacity around the Pacific Rim.

DISC: Not holding at present, but I have in the past & think AIR is a fantastic business and a fantastic airline.

There was also a comment on the radio this morning that it costs airlines 50% less to fly a plane today than it was in 1995 (or might have even been 1985)

No wonder AIR might make 1/2 billion bucks in 6 months
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”