sharetrader
Page 470 of 2019 FirstFirst ... 3704204604664674684694704714724734744805205709701470 ... LastLast
Results 4,691 to 4,700 of 20188

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

percy

Quote Originally Posted by skid View Post
    Monday should show how much of this is AIR and how much is the share markets in general(which bounced Friday,because of a rise in oil)
    If it bounces it will show that its because of the markets--which means a rise in oil has been good for AIR (crazy world isnt it)
    In a crazy world will an investor who uses common sense beat the market?
    Will an investor who is immune from fear and greed,and bases his investing on his own research into fundamentally sound, individual companies beat the market?
    I will find out the answers in under two weeks, when AIR announce their result on the 25th.
    In the meantime I will back myself,and forget "the noise".!
    Last edited by percy; 13-02-2016 at 11:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    In a crazy world will an investor who uses common sense beat the market?
    Will an investor who is immune from fear and greed,and bases his investing on his own research into fundamentally sound, individual companies beat the market?
    I will find out the answers in under two weeks, when AIR announce their result on the 25th.
    In the meantime I will back myself,and forget "the noise".!
    I'm sure you will beat the market Percy

But if the market is down 20% and you are down 15%,is that a good result?

Earnings will be OK for a while -- but what will the 'market' pay for those earnings?
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

percy

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    I'm sure you will beat the market Percy

But if the market is down 20% and you are down 15%,is that a good result?

Earnings will be OK for a while -- but what will the 'market' pay for those earnings?
    Well I guess investing in "the market" is all about objectives and targets.
    My objective and target has been to increase my capital base,which I have done.
    The next objective was for that increased capital to be invested in dividend paying companies to provide me with a good income,which it is doing. Those companies have the capacity to keep increasing their dividends.
    So where am I should the market fall 15% to 20%?.Well to be honest I am sitting back enjoying the fat dividends,and am "well positioned" for when the market goes chasing those high dividend paying companies.
    While I am still working, those increasing dividends are being recycled into either undervalued dividend payers,or my "fun" portfolio of small cap Aussie.
    I did take some of my profits off the table a few weeks ago, as I was fully invested,and thought a bit of cash would give me the fire power to buy any "bargains" the market may offer me.
    Last edited by percy; 13-02-2016 at 12:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    Well I guess investing in "the market" is all about objectives and targets.
    My objective and target has been to increase my capital base,which I have done.
    The next objective was for that increased capital to be invested in dividend paying companies to provide me with a good income,which it is doing. Those companies have the capacity to keep increasing their dividends.
    So where am I should the market fall 15% to 20%?.Well to be honest I am sitting back enjoying the fat dividends,and am "well positioned" for when the market goes chasing those high dividend paying companies.
    While I am still working, those increasing dividends are being recycled into either undervalued dividend payers,or my "fun" portfolio of small cap Aussie.
    I did take some of my profits off the table a few weeks ago, as I was fully invested,and thought a bit of cash would give me the fire power to buy any "bargains" the market may offer me.
    Good plan Percy

May those increasing dividends keep rolling in for years to come
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Guru

Glad your plan is working out,Percy..I was'nt suggesting you change it. Having said that,iI have no doubts that if the noise gets to loud you will adjust accordingly

percy

Quote Originally Posted by skid View Post
    Glad your plan is working out,Percy..I was'nt suggesting you change it. Having said that,iI have no doubts that if the noise gets to loud you will adjust accordingly
    Maybe??
    I like to think I am more inclined to react to companies results,rather than noise.
    With AIR I am expecting a fantastic result, with a very positive outlook.Most probably good news on the dividend front too.In which case I will add to my holding.
    Should the result be poor I will be gone.!
    And that is the same with all [well nearly all] of my holdings.

Speaking of firepower to take advantage of opportunities I think there's quite a few people on here who are fairly cashed up at present. I think fear of the unknown in terms of future competition has got the better of some holders.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

percy

Traditionally AIR's biggest profits have been made in NZ.Goes right back to the merger between NAC and Air NZ.
    For someone to make big inroads into this profit base they would need a huge investment in infrastructure,equipment,people and the right aircraft.So old odd planes will not cut the mustard.
    Yes some international carriers can add Auckland Sydney type of routes, but the likes of Jetstar would have to make a big investment.
    When I am in Nelson I stay next door to the airport..I am woken up first thing in the morning by AIR flights.Flights all day long, they are in and out of Nelson.
    AIR under CEO Luxton have focussed on the customer.Planes,time of flights,routes,lounges,bookings etc,.They know what their customers want better than any other airline does,and they deliver the service to retain those customers.
    Last edited by percy; 13-02-2016 at 05:24 PM.

It has reached the area of the medium term trend line and support lines. Each stock responds differently to different indicators - AIR does not behave with the 200dma. Monday may present a good buying opportunity, or we may see it test 265. International market uncertainties making it quite hard to play.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyTheHorse View Post
    It has reached the area of the medium term trend line and support lines. Each stock responds differently to different indicators - AIR does not behave with the 200dma. Monday may present a good buying opportunity, or we may see it test 265. International market uncertainties making it quite hard to play.

As someone who has worked fundamental analysis for a living in the US, an financial auditor before that, i should be heavy biased to fundamentals. In reality I actually think that behavioural considerations matter more in markets. Of late I have made more out of the noise than fundamentals, markets react to uncertainty and so many people can understand a sound bite and react to that simply. So media sound bites matter. Sure if you buy in a low base it may matter less as a consideration, dividends are nice however no point if you are losing capital at a greater rate IMHO. Focusing on the now, AIR will have a great result, good dividend, however I expect that will have a limited effect on the share price beyond the short term.

I simply now take forward indicators I see in my client base,network and react before they are translated into anything reported in the media. I do look at financials, as i have that skill, however my weighting on them is way less.
    Last edited by Raz; 14-02-2016 at 08:09 AM.