sharetrader
Page 534 of 2019 FirstFirst ... 3443448452453053153253353453553653753854458463410341534 ... LastLast
Results 5,331 to 5,340 of 20188

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Roger - whats AIRs 'unrestricted cash'?

Is it disclosed?
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

That's not a term I've ever seen AIR use mate.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Hi all, I'm new to these forums - I've been reading and learning for the past few months but this is my first post, so please bear with me if my question is breathtakingly stupid!

Last November I bought a small number of AIR shares (1000) with the intention to buy and hold (I'm just beginning my journey into investing in shares, so decided to start small and learn the ropes before investing larger amounts). Now my underlying intention is still to buy and hold; but as I see the share price start to climb above the 50 day and 200 day EMA I started wondering - why wouldn't you sell at a higher price, take the profit (making sure that I do actually sell at a profit after brokerage fees are accounted for), and wait until the share price falls again to buy back in?

The risk that I see is that the share price may NOT fall back to what I see as the current "normal" level, and may establish a new higher level - which would kind of scuttle my "buy back in" plans.

But taking that risk into account, is there some reason that I'm missing (entirely possible) why you wouldn't do this?

Thanks all for your contributions to these forums, I have learned a huge amount over the past few months from simply reading the posts (but still have so much more to learn!)

Quote Originally Posted by oldtech View Post
    Hi all, I'm new to these forums - I've been reading and learning for the past few months but this is my first post, so please bear with me if my question is breathtakingly stupid!

Last November I bought a small number of AIR shares (1000) with the intention to buy and hold (I'm just beginning my journey into investing in shares, so decided to start small and learn the ropes before investing larger amounts). Now my underlying intention is still to buy and hold; but as I see the share price start to climb above the 50 day and 200 day EMA I started wondering - why wouldn't you sell at a higher price, take the profit (making sure that I do actually sell at a profit after brokerage fees are accounted for), and wait until the share price falls again to buy back in?

The risk that I see is that the share price may NOT fall back to what I see as the current "normal" level, and may establish a new higher level - which would kind of scuttle my "buy back in" plans.

But taking that risk into account, is there some reason that I'm missing (entirely possible) why you wouldn't do this?

Thanks all for your contributions to these forums, I have learned a huge amount over the past few months from simply reading the posts (but still have so much more to learn!)

Why not? Because you may miss out on future SP appreciation.

E.g. from my experience. In September, thinking I was smart (a bad sign with share investing) I sold off my EBO shares at $11.60 for a nice little profit. The SP is now $16.35. That nice little profit would be a nice BIG profit if sold now.

My guess that the SP would retreat and allow a cheaper re-purchase was way off target!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Just wondered when you said this handout to Virgin was only 10% of AIRs cash - probably a lot higher % of their 'unrestricted cash'

Googled 'unrestricted funds' - seems to be a common term in Not For Profits / Charity accounting

Seems appropriate for Virgin

Must be the Easter spirit then eh mate...AIR's cash being the sacrificial lamb to atone for the virgin's sins. Given the season I suppose one must be charitable and say that one hopes VAH's senior exec's are truly worthy of redemption.
    Last edited by Beagle; 23-03-2016 at 01:03 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Must be the Easter spirit then eh mate...AIR's cash being the sacrificial lamb to atone for the virgin's sins. Given the season I suppose one must be charitable and say that one hopes VAH's senior exec's are truly worthy of redemption.
    Had a look also, Virgin's labour set up is also interesting..although more interesting is AIRs price reaction to date.

Quote Originally Posted by Raz View Post
    Had a look also, Virgin's labour set up is also interesting..although more interesting is AIRs price reaction to date.
    You're suggesting its not just some of the older aircraft engines that need an overhaul ?

Any way you slice and dice this VAH just scraping a miserly profit, (just a fraction above break-even) when almost every other airline in the world has booming profits suggests the entire operation really does need a very comprehensive review. They have the intellectual horsepower on the board so one can only hope they do a very thorough job.

Until proven otherwise, In my opinion people can be forgiven for worrying about this as some sort of potential Ansett MK2.
    Last edited by Beagle; 23-03-2016 at 01:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
    Roger...Our stars are starting to align....That's spooky..eh
    Yeah, Percy asked to borrow my rose tinted glasses so what's a guy to do