sharetrader
Page 555 of 2020 FirstFirst ... 5545550554555155255355455555655755855956560565510551555 ... LastLast
Results 5,541 to 5,550 of 20199

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Paper Tiger View Post
    I have not flown with Qantas or Oz Virgin since 2010/11 so would not be fair to comment but I have flown enough flights with the modern Garuda Indonesia to confirm that they are excellent.

Best Wishes
    Paper Tiger
    Garuda were excellent back in 1971/72 too when i dropped out of school and flew to Bali. Thanks for the trigger/ memory PT

Quote Originally Posted by Paper Tiger View Post
    Tangential to doing checks on obscure airlines that actually fly to where I wish to go come June was the interesting discovery that customers rate

AirAsiaX

higher than

Air New Zealand

Best Wishes
    Paper Tiger
    You mean customers with lots of time to waste writing an online review of their first ever long haul flight?

*jumps tiger shark*

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jaa View Post
    You mean customers with lots of time to waste writing an online review of their first ever long haul flight?
    While that may be true those customers with time to waste liked the other airlines better.

Missed by that much

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    While that may be true those customers with time to waste liked the other airlines better.
    Or maybe had never flown on AIR to even compare them.

Interested to know where margins will be heading for AIR. Decided to take my daughter on a surprise trip to the US during her last school holidays, she has been working hard & she wants to checkout east coast schools. Noted Qantas is currently running a special economy fare which is around half the normal fare while crossing over part of the school holidays..so have a look at AIR site and see price matched on the same days. So paying $1100 economy return each to go in the school holidays while their regular airfares in the recent past have been commanding in the range 2100-2500$ return previously at this time. Don't see it having much effect on this financial year however next years?? The cash cow of AUC - LAX may well be gone.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jantar View Post
    Id find it a bit hard to believe that AA would be better than AIR but I have flown with both MAL and AIR and despite all the bad things last year ,MAL was definitely better. (Thai was no contest)

to be fair the stewardesses were good on AIR ,it was more other areas of comfort--ie-- being cramped and for some reason we have found AIR way to cold (off the scale) Im wondering if it was just the plane itself which couldnt regulate the temp to keep everyone the same -(some may have been perfect in other areas)..but having said that ,a long haul flight is hard enough with out freezing,and possibly getting sick.
    the wife will be returning from Vancouver the end of April--She froze on the way over,but we'll see how it goes on the way back to see if it was just a glitch.
    we'll both be on MAL in late June so can compare--flew last year and it was good.

the daughter is flying to Bali with Jet star in Nov.(I imagine it will be a hard slog,but it was cheap and shes pretty tough)

There is a dangerous trend in Wellington Airport's investor day presso for Air NZ (slides 8 and 9).

Over the last 5 years, there has been a growing trend in favour of long haul via Australia rather than via Auckland which is Air NZ's hub. In the last two years I guess almost inevitably this has lead to an increase in Qantas's group share of international flights out of Wellington to almost match Air NZ/Virgin's share.

When I lived in Wellington 6+ years ago, the appeal of flying international all the way, the wider options and cheaper prices did make hubbing via Australia more appealing than Auckland.

Quote Originally Posted by Jantar View Post
    Exactly. Low cost airline customers are normally not very experienced or discerning travelers and just happy to be flying.

The quality difference between Air Asia/Scoot/Cebu Pacific/Jetstar and say Air NZ/Sing Air/Qantas long haul is huge and you pay hundreds of dollars for it. I have flown all of them in the last year or so.

Horses for courses but I would much rather invest in an airline like Air NZ without a budget arm. You can always discount your seats to fill the plane but the budget carriers are stuck. Qantas's strategy of having a separate budget arm adds layers of costs throughout the company and has more to do with high unionised labour costs.
    Last edited by Jaa; 14-04-2016 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaa View Post
    There is a dangerous trend in Wellington Airport's investor day presso for Air NZ (slides 8 and 9).

Over the last 5 years, there has been a growing trend in favour of long haul via Australia rather than via Auckland which is Air NZ's hub. In the last two years I guess almost inevitably this has lead to an increase in Qantas's group share of international flights out of Wellington to almost match Air NZ/Virgin's share.

When I lived in Wellington 6+ years ago, the appeal of flying international all the way, the wider options and cheaper prices did make hubbing via Australia more appealing than Auckland.
    The main reason for that trend would be Air NZ/Virgin keeping roughly the same number of flights, while Qantas/Jetstar adding Gold Coast, Melbourne, and seasonal Brisbane flights.

Senior exec's keep exercising options and cashing in and selling the shares. Very tough for the SP to track north when they keep over-supplying the market with shares.