sharetrader
Page 59 of 2019 FirstFirst ... 949555657585960616263691091595591059 ... LastLast

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Dilettante

modandm, could you please enlighten me about you saying "soon to South America" ? Is something new on the horizon there ? I'm just courious as I travel several times a year AKL-Buenos Aires and am not happy with the currently available services

Quote Originally Posted by modandm View Post
    I won't go into my entire investment rationale but to say that AKL is strategically the Dubai of the pacific in that it provides an ideal connection for Australians not living in Sydney to fly to North America and soon South America means AIR will increasingly be able to steal pax from Qantas. .

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    modandm, could you please enlighten me about you saying "soon to South America" ? Is something new on the horizon there ? I'm just courious as I travel several times a year AKL-Buenos Aires and am not happy with the currently available services
    hi iceman, unfortunately nothing has been announced yet, but rob fyfe and others have several times over the last few years mentioned the desire to open up routes to south america once the 787s arrive in another 2.5 years. On other websites there is speculation that NZ might seek 777-200LR's for interim lift to open new routes. Others are speculating that 747-400's could have additional fuel tanks added to open up south america.

If this occurs GRU - Sao Paulo, and EZE - Buenos Aires, would be the two obvious destinations.

You might have to be patient with this one but you can feel fairly confident Air NZ will be flying these routes by 2014 if not sooner.

Dilettante

Thanks modandm. A direct Air NZ serive AKL-EZE is music to my ears, should it happen. I have taken the opportunity on every after trip survey from Air NZ to push for a Air NZ/Star Alliance service to South America. They would inject some much needed competition to Aerolineas Argentinas direct to EZE and LAN/Qantas via Santiago. I shall patiently keep my fingers crossed

hi iceman, unfortunately nothing has been announced yet, but rob fyfe and others have several times over the last few years mentioned the desire to open up routes to south america once the 787s arrive in another 2.5 years. On other websites there is speculation that NZ might seek 777-200LR's for interim lift to open new routes. Others are speculating that 747-400's could have additional fuel tanks added to open up south america.

If this occurs GRU - Sao Paulo, and EZE - Buenos Aires, would be the two obvious destinations.

You might have to be patient with this one but you can feel fairly confident Air NZ will be flying these routes by 2014 if not sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Thanks modandm. A direct Air NZ serive AKL-EZE is music to my ears, should it happen. I have taken the opportunity on every after trip survey from Air NZ to push for a Air NZ/Star Alliance service to South America. They would inject some much needed competition to Aerolineas Argentinas direct to EZE and LAN/Qantas via Santiago. I shall patiently keep my fingers crossed
    Aerolineas Argentinas is due to join the Star Alliance next year.

Air NZ's 777's would be useless for such a long journey without alternate airports. Thus you really need a 4 engine jet to make it work.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaa View Post
    Aerolineas Argentinas is due to join the Star Alliance next year.

Air NZ's 777's would be useless for such a long journey without alternate airports. Thus you really need a 4 engine jet to make it work.
    I agree with you at the present time, and this is why the 747s being retained past 2012 are the subject of this speculation.

However NZ has the ability to apply for EDTO 240m and 330m after operating 77L's for a certain time which would open up the routes. Also due to the advances in engine reliability the restrictions on twin engine aircraft are expected to be reduced. The 787-9 is expected to be certified for EDTO 330 - although NZ and South American aviation authorities would have to grant approval also.

As NZ management have pointed out - twin aircraft actually have lower incidences of engine related diversions, and are required to carry engine fire extinguishers and other related safety equipment that 4 engined aircraft aren't.

It won't happen overnight but it will happen - and with a twin engined aircraft IMHO.

Jaa- whats your take on the shareprice? are you buying?

Advanced Member

Govt going to flick some of this off , but who will want it?

Veteran novice

Skol will be keen on a few!

if its at the current shareprice I think there would be substantial interest from private and institutions. At this level I expect significant sp growth over the next 2 years.

One thing holding the sp back has been the lack of liquidity - it will be good to have a larger float.

Air NZ is something to be proud of - even if people think investing in airlines is a bad idea simply because of the 'american' result.

Before sarcastically criticising those who do choose to invest in Air NZ - perhaps consider the differences in geography and the aviation market in NZ relative to the US and the strength of NZ product and management vs its competitors. Combine this with the advancing fleet modernisation program and I rate NZ as having excellent potential.

The growth of China, India etc increasing demand for air travel as economies recover etc etc - the fundamentals are all there.

And recently the Oil Price is down too

Advanced Member

if its at the current shareprice I think there would be substantial interest from private and institutions. At this level I expect significant sp growth over the next 2 years.
    Its not for another year or so, who knows , maybe they will pump up the price beforehand, they wouldnt
    want to see too low a shareprice ahead on any announcement

One thing holding the sp back has been the lack of liquidity - it will be good to have a larger float.

Air NZ is something to be proud of - even if people think investing in airlines is a bad idea simply because of the 'american' result.

Before sarcastically criticising those who do choose to invest in Air NZ - perhaps consider the differences in geography and the aviation market in NZ relative to the US and the strength of NZ product and management vs its competitors. Combine this with the advancing fleet modernisation program and I rate NZ as having excellent potential.

The growth of China, India etc increasing demand for air travel as economies recover etc etc - the fundamentals are all there.
    As someone who spends a lot of time flying, usually on Air NZ but many other international/national airlines, I agree Air NZ has a lot to be proud of. They are very nimble and innovative in cutting costs. They were one of the first if not the first to adopt the check in kiosks for example.

I may not invest in AIR stock but they sure as hell get a big chunk of my airfare money and proud to fly with them, especially on the long hauls. Gotta love the 777 300