sharetrader
Page 62 of 2019 FirstFirst ... 1252585960616263646566721121625621062 ... LastLast

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Consider yourself lucky that you have options Anonymous. I've been stuck with 46 staff to fly domestically in Argentina with Aerolineas Argentinas for 4 days. No info communicated and no alternative options. Absolute chaos. Also have a Kiwi flying home who has ben stuck in Buenos Aires for 3 days. Looks like they (LAN) may get him on a plane on 28th, via Santiago, Easter Island, Tahiti, Sydney and then onto Auckland, instead of the normal Santiago-Auckland route. Can't wait for Air NZ to start flying to South America !
    If you need to move your staff within Argentina, get them to take the bus. Argentina has the best buses in the world. For maybe 50% more than the cheapest bus (still very good) you can buy them full lie flat beds with first class service that comes with food and champagne etc. Try Via Bariloche and send them overnight.

I have just been travelling in Argentina and have some friends there so if you need more help let me know.

As for Aerolinas..... well that is why Argentina has the best buses in the world!!

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
    Its because of South America that I have stuck with oneworld as star alliance have very little market share there. I've had people stuck trying to go both ways between here and Chile over the last weeks. LAN scheduled to resume normal service on the SCL-AKL leg on 3rd July, ash permitting, (which means first return flight on 5th). AR are a joke of an airline and who knows what they are up to. Had someone stuck in Papeete for a few days trying to jump on the alternative route you mentioned. Got a pile of freight racking up... Is definitely chaos.
    Aerolinas are joining the Star Alliance next year so expect to see code shared flights with Air NZ.

Air NZ really only have 747s that would be any good to fly to South America (you need 4 engines as there are no close alternative airports for 9hrs) which would leave them with no flexibility to downsize or upsize the aircraft type if demand drops away. Something they do all the time to Asia, Japan, US, Uk etc. This is a serious disadvantage for this route.

Air NZ's goal with any new route is to get the frequency up first to daily and then to increase the aircraft size from 777-200 to 777-300 or 747.

Dilettante

Thanks Jaa. Been here for a few years and agree with you on the buses. They arer World class. Having to travel from Ushuaia to Corrientes by chartered bus however, includes ferry rides accross to the mainland and then 72 hrs non stop (only toilet stops) driving with cooks etc onboard the bus. The boys are not terribly enthused about it if they can avoid it

Quote Originally Posted by Jaa View Post
    If you need to move your staff within Argentina, get them to take the bus. Argentina has the best buses in the world. For maybe 50% more than the cheapest bus (still very good) you can buy them full lie flat beds with first class service that comes with food and champagne etc. Try Via Bariloche and send them overnight.

I have just been travelling in Argentina and have some friends there so if you need more help let me know.

As for Aerolinas..... well that is why Argentina has the best buses in the world!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaa View Post
    Aerolinas are joining the Star Alliance next year so expect to see code shared flights with Air NZ.
    I hope Air NZ think hard about flying codeshare with AR. Flying AR across the Pacific is not a matter of how many hours late you will arrive, but a matter of how many days...

I would have thought that AIR NZ's first port of call if they start flying themselves into South America will be into Brazil to tap into the TAM network (who are also Star Alliance). Although I dont know what will happen when/if LAN and TAM merge.

Guru

Aircraft grounded for cash, not ash - analyst by ROELAND VAN DEN BERGH

Quotes from Article

Forsyth Barr aviation analyst Rob Mercer said the high cost of fuel and the continuing effects of the global economic downturn meant most airlines were running at a loss in the second half of the financial year ending June 30.

Air New Zealand was also losing money in the second half of the year, but its domestic networks were highly profitable, Mr Mercer said. That explained the desire to keep flying, even though cruising at much lower altitudes to stay clear of the ash added about 10 per cent in fuel costs for its jets.
    While grounding aircraft still incurred fixed costs, the impact on the bottom line was not as great during a period of losses compared with a time of high profits, Mr Mercer said.

"The decisions not to fly are easier if you are running at a loss, than they are if you are running at a profit. [Air] New Zealand probably came out of this with a lot more customer loyalty than Qantas," Mr Mercer said.
    Last edited by Hoop; 28-06-2011 at 10:20 AM.

Dilettante

Received the below comments from my travel agent today. He has been in the industry for a long time. I found the comments interesting so thought I'd share them here.

"Its amazing how the flights globally are filling up in the past two / three months it’s a different year than normal. Air NZ are doing very well and appear to be in the leading bunch of Airlines World Wide, they are doing all the correct things in their operation thus lots of Brownie Points with customers and we receiving great reports back from clients who are regularly fly with them."

Discl: Hold Air NZ

Management of AIR either gullible, narrow thinkers or worried about cash given their withdrawal from the EMA on the back of Alasdair Thompsons comments which have now seen him fired.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    Management of AIR either gullible, narrow thinkers or worried about cash given their withdrawal from the EMA on the back of Alasdair Thompsons comments which have now seen him fired.
    I would say they have their finger on the pulse of populous NZ but then they have continued with Rico who likes NZ Bitches (beaches) and our nice bushes
    Free delivery worldwide with Book Depository http://www.bookdepository.co.uk

Advanced Member

Gee Minimoke - that seems harsh, I think the CEO is really well regarded, he was one reason I decided to buy shares recently.

Quote Originally Posted by tim23 View Post
    Gee Minimoke - that seems harsh, I think the CEO is really well regarded, he was one reason I decided to buy shares recently.
    A bit harsh perhaps but two questions:
    Why would AIR become embroiled in this media led spat? (If you hear the whole interview Thompson is actually an advocate for equal pay)
    Why would it withdraw from the EMA?

It didn't have to do either.