sharetrader
Page 752 of 2019 FirstFirst ... 25265270274274874975075175275375475575676280285212521752 ... LastLast
Results 7,511 to 7,520 of 20188

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Something us more mature gentlemen are better off without. If you have to be wed to the internet and your phone 24/7 that's a sad way to have to live IMHO.
    That said for those that must stay connected at all times this is an enhancement over what the competition, (if you can call it that on domestic flights) offers.
    http://www.nbr.co.nz/article/air-new...ices-ng-191799
    No doubt you will enjoy less blah blah about how you can or can't use this or that electronic device at the start of a flight though.

Default Queenstown Night Flights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2RgmaVSPXw Informative video, worth a watch for aviation enthusiasts.

Thinking about all the Bluetooth discoveries to be made on board reminded me of a funny story I heard recently. A bloke in South Auckland was continually having trouble with the neighbor from hell, a "Mr Smith". One day whilst at home this bloke is visited by the police, who were trying to find the origin of a Wi Fi address in the area with the logon, " D-Smith-Is- an-AR...L". Thinking outside the square I thought.

Allowing Bluetooth to be used on the flight would be advantages for headphones; No more tripping over the cord or being asked to unplug them from the IFE during take-off or landing. This policy might also help those who have medical monitoring equipment.

For a variety of logistical and security reasons, I don't use a Bluetooth mouse or keyboard on the plane.

But I think the greatest win here is that science has prevailed over paranoia. There has always been little to no evidence that low power transmitting devices using Bluetooth, Wi-Fi etc. interfere with aircraft systems.

Still waiting for the science that says water bottles don't explode to prevail over paranoia.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaphod View Post
    Allowing Bluetooth to be used on the flight would be advantages for headphones; No more tripping over the cord or being asked to unplug them from the IFE during take-off or landing. This policy might also help those who have medical monitoring equipment.

For a variety of logistical and security reasons, I don't use a Bluetooth mouse or keyboard on the plane.

But I think the greatest win here is that science has prevailed over paranoia. There has always been little to no evidence that low power transmitting devices using Bluetooth, Wi-Fi etc. interfere with aircraft systems.

There is science showing that the older analog phones could interfere with aircraft systems. Remember 300 plus transmitters not just one or two.

I was recently sitting in an aircraft in the States where passengers were permitted to use there phones whilst the plane was delayed for departure. The noise of multiple loud conversations was irritating. I hope the airlines never allow such phone operations in flight.

Quote Originally Posted by emveha View Post
    Still waiting for the science that says water bottles don't explode to prevail over paranoia.
    Unfortunately, they're correct on that one. Binary explosives can be created readily using a few hundred ml of liquids, so a relatively safe 100ml limit was imposed to provide some leeway for those that need to bring liquids on-board.

Quote Originally Posted by RTFQ View Post
    There is science showing that the older analog phones could interfere with aircraft systems. Remember 300 plus transmitters not just one or two.

I was recently sitting in an aircraft in the States where passengers were permitted to use there phones whilst the plane was delayed for departure. The noise of multiple loud conversations was irritating. I hope the airlines never allow such phone operations in flight.
    The issue is that there is no conclusive evidence that low power RF devices (circa 2w which is typical of modern cellphones) can cause disruption to modern avionics even en mass. Evidence of interference from very high wattage transmitters has been substantiated, whereby some avionic instrument systems were susceptible to blanking, but design changes have mitigated this issue.

In the US the FCC (not the FAA) banned the use of cellphones on flights to protect the ground-based towers for excessive traffic (mostly through handshaking) as the devices move from one tower to the next at several hundred Kph.

The noise you hear from the old GSM digital based technology is localised to the speaker and isn't as prevalent anymore thanks to adoption of UTMS and LTE standards. You won't hear that much in NZ as most carriers no longer support GSM.

I agree that the biggest problem facing cell phone use on the plane is a social one. Having someone next to you constantly talking on the phone during the flight would be extremely irritating!

Should see the OP stats for June today or tomorrow. The last to be including for the EOY results.....

Just bought return fares to Aussie with AIR for the family and the price was exactly the same as 2 years ago when we last went so they must be making some good margins on the transtasman routes given the price of OIL now being considerably less than it was then.

Hopefully a bounce back today to a close higher than 2.265 to make the chart look rosy.
    Last edited by workingdad; 20-07-2016 at 10:06 AM.

Investor

https://nzx.com/companies/AIR/announcements/285944

There we've, latest op stats...