sharetrader
Page 792 of 2020 FirstFirst ... 29269274278278878979079179279379479579680284289212921792 ... LastLast
Results 7,911 to 7,920 of 20195

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Just as well they are a monopoly

http://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/8...n-trunk-routes

Mind you a slow non-stop flight on one of the smaller planes Wellington Queenstown on a fine clear cloudless day in winter is a magical experience (if you have a window seat)
    The operative word is a fine day, when the weather is bad not such a consistent service...twice I have not been able to get into Queenstown on them and I know a few people who got sent back not being able to land into Wellington. The regional terminal does not have a sufficient koru lounge, the main lounge is upstair through security.. which hacks off many business people down here..plus the cold walk out of the tarmac as no airbridges.... has raised comment. Air can say suck it up however it is simple economics vs EI management tradeoff. The result is short term profit may be the result however it comes with a potential loss of customer loyalty when people shop around for international flights from the south... they do not forget being shafted:-)

ps In mid-winter people want to fly the ABs to ensure they get to their destination on time.
    Last edited by Raz; 19-08-2016 at 02:14 PM.

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

Question Can Air New Zealand survive the Might of Emirates

Competition from Emirates is getting intense:

This cutie can be yours for 4,000 Miles (down from 5,400).

Best Wishes
    Paper Tiger
    om mani peme hum

Quote Originally Posted by RTFQ View Post
    The only aircraft I am aware of operating those distances at present are 777 extended range options. Do QF have these? The 787 is not the accountants Dreamliner, due to the current cost of fuel and its initial capital cost.
    Qantas don't operate the Boeing 777 at all and neither does Jetstar
    Last edited by Rep; 19-08-2016 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Update for Jetstar

Tourism and migration still trucking along.

http://m.nzherald.co.nz/business/new...ectid=11697111

Quote Originally Posted by Rep View Post
    Qantas don't operate the Boeing 777 at all and neither does Jetstar
    found it... quote from Allan..some subject to.

http://www.traveller.com.au/qantas-p...-london-gk6yqc

Quote Originally Posted by Raz View Post
    found it... quote from Allan..some subject to.

http://www.traveller.com.au/qantas-p...-london-gk6yqc
    AJ strategically uses the word "potentially" in the article. The 787 still hasn't met the sales specs in regard to range, also on long flights I am told it can't carry any freight when full of passengers. I believe AIR looked to use it direct to Chicago only 13200km but at the time it wouldn't commercially work for the return flight.

AIR has an up week

That's good following last weeks downer
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by workingdad View Post
    Tourism and migration still trucking along.

http://m.nzherald.co.nz/business/new...ectid=11697111
    11% growth in tourism is very robust !

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by RTFQ View Post
    AJ strategically uses the word "potentially" in the article. The 787 still hasn't met the sales specs in regard to range, also on long flights I am told it can't carry any freight when full of passengers. I believe AIR looked to use it direct to Chicago only 13200km but at the time it wouldn't commercially work for the return flight.
    I wonder how many have actually spent that long on a plane--It may sound good (direct) but after 12-13hrs many will be screaming for a layover.

Couple of things

Boeing 777
    A popular reliable aircraft with large numbers in service. Queer and Nasty Airlines have never flown them. They got sucked in by the promises of Boeing as a launch customer for the 787 which was delayed for years. They got stuck operating old thirsty 767’s and 747’s when fuel prices were high.

Turbo props
    I like turbo props, mostly. I like the take-offs where the engines are run up full revs and the acceleration as fuel is increased and the pitch of the propellers increased to bite at the air. You are closer to the ground so the scenery is better. What I do not like is the thrombosis inducing seating on Cullen Airlines turbo props and the flights can drag on. The flight from CHC --> HlZ goes on forever.

My favourite turbo props were the Cullen Airlines Fairchild Metroliners. Their size gave you the illusion you were doing real flying.

Turbo props use less fuel on a passenger/kilometre basis. If fuel prices go through the roof again expect turbo props to become more popular with airlines on shorter jet hops like WLG --> CHC.

Boop boop de do
    Marilyn
    Diamonds are a girls best friend.