sharetrader
Page 893 of 2019 FirstFirst ... 39379384388388989089189289389489589689790394399313931893 ... LastLast
Results 8,921 to 8,930 of 20188

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by see weed View Post
    Good chance to top up some more tonight at these lower prices.
    Or you could be patient....could go either way...might be an idea to wait till your sure the US Fed is not going to do something unexpected.
    If by the slim chance it did,you would get a much better buying opportunity.
    Last edited by skid; 21-09-2016 at 05:21 PM.

Moderated user

Quote Originally Posted by skid View Post
    Or you could be patient....could go either way...might be an idea to wait till your sure the US Fed is not going to do something unexpected.
    If by the slim chance it did,you would get a much better buying opportunity.

Interesting how the after market sale puts the SP @ 191.5 when theres offers @189 and bids @ 188.5
    I agree Skid, although Fed rate rise seems largely expected now - hence high yielding stocks hammered a bit lately. Fridays at 5pm seems to be good top-up times too with weekend fear

Singapore inaugral flight fronSIN/CBR has landed at WLG - looks smart on the tarmac

Leaves again tonite - less passengers flying AIR to AKL tonite to connect with the flight to SIN

But loved this tweet (apologies for bringing politics into it)

@JoelRowan: Singapore Airlines, with codeshare partner Wellington City Council Airways first slush-funded vanity flight from Canberra has landed.
    Last edited by winner69; 21-09-2016 at 05:20 PM.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
    I agree Skid, although Fed rate rise seems largely expected now - hence high yielding stocks hammered a bit lately. Fridays at 5pm seems to be good top-up times too with weekend fear
    I dont think its expected this time around(but its possible)..but Christmas has higher odds..when it happens theres a good chance we may have to buckle up,if that last drop is anything to go by---its certainly got many scared. Just the thought of it got the markets in a tizzy.

You should know by tomorrow morning (Feds decision)
    Last edited by skid; 21-09-2016 at 05:39 PM.

Moderated user

Quote Originally Posted by skid View Post
    I dont think its expected this time around(but its possible)..but Christmas has higher odds..when it happens theres a good chance we may have to buckle up,if that last drop is anything to go by---its certainly got many scared. Just the thought of it got the markets in a tizzy.
    Yip. Trump getting in? come November will be interesting too... markets hating uncertainty and all that Might be some good buying opportunities there too.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
    Yip. Trump getting in? come November will be interesting too... markets hating uncertainty and all that Might be some good buying opportunities there too.
    It would be interesting to see who the voters run with, if the market is in turmoil(from a rate rise)

Guru

I could be very wrong but ins't increased competition a major threat to profit? Ie AIR's costs on their routes are pretty much fixed, ie if you fly a plane with 100 ppl or with 200 the costs stay the same. But the revenue figure is very variable. Back of envelope stuff....

Revenue $5,000,000
    Costs $4,500,000
    Profit $500,000

However if revenue were to drop just 10% because passenger numbers are down or they have to discount tickets to get PAX up (like they are offering me a return to London for under $2000 which I am considering this winter) that would wipe out the profit entirely and thus no dividend.
    That to me is the big risk.
    Where have I gone wrong?
    Conversely if revenue were to increase this would impact massively on the profit.
    (btw I have been very liberal with my figures and note the annual revenue was $4.5mill or thereabouts and the profit was not $500 exactly but its good for illustration purposes)

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    I could be very wrong but ins't increased competition a major threat to profit? Ie AIR's costs on their routes are pretty much fixed, ie if you fly a plane with 100 ppl or with 200 the costs stay the same. But the revenue figure is very variable. Back of envelope stuff....

Revenue $5,000,000
    Costs $4,500,000
    Profit $500,000

However if revenue were to drop just 10% because passenger numbers are down or they have to discount tickets to get PAX up (like they are offering me a return to London for under $2000 which I am considering this winter) that would wipe out the profit entirely and thus no dividend.
    Where have I gone wrong?
    Conversely if revenue were to increase this would impact massively on the profit.
    (btw I have been very liberal with my figures and note the annual revenue was $4.5mill or thereabouts and the profit was not $500 exactly but its good for illustration purposes)
    Theres more than one way to make money--(savings on your AIR ticket..a penny saved is a penny earned)

Costs are fixed...like oil you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post

Revenue $5,000,000
    Costs $4,500,000
    Profit $500,000

Where have I gone wrong?

Yield will be down internationally. CL has said AIR will compete aggressively with the competition and filling seats with lower prices has already occurred, hence the share price. Its only in recent times AIR has made money internationally. The thing to remember is AIR makes most of its profit, some say 80%+, on its domestic operation where it has a huge market share. Other international airlines bringing tourists to NZ will benefit AIR domestically.
    Last edited by RTFQ; 21-09-2016 at 06:10 PM.