sharetrader
Page 987 of 988 FirstFirst ... 487887937977983984985986987988 LastLast
Results 14,791 to 14,805 of 14808

Thread: AIR NZ

Guru

imagine the shares will have a tank on this news. another leader who did a great job
    bull

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    imagine the shares will have a tank on this news. another leader who did a great job
    Just a thought: maybe JK brokered this and he’s off to
    the other ANZ
    HAwaii house thrown as a sweetener

ADMIN: AIR: Air New Zealand CEO Christopher Luxon to resign

Air New Zealand Chief Executive Officer Christopher Luxon has resigned this
    evening and will step down from day to day leadership of the airline on
    September 25.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Lola View Post
    Just a thought: maybe JK brokered this and he’s off to
    the other ANZ
    HAwaii house thrown as a sweetener

That crossed my mind as well. Has a non banker ever got a CEO job with a bank? Or should that not matter?

Quote Originally Posted by 777 View Post
    That crossed my mind as well. Has a non banker ever got a CEO job with a bank? Or should that not matter?
    @franosullivan
    Air NZ's Christopher Luxon holding forth over breakfast this am on the bold and provocative agenda the PM's Business Advisory Council (which he chairs) has been developing. Should we read anything into that former National PM Sir John Key was in the front row?
    “In a roaring bull market, knowledge is superfluous and experience is a handicap.”

–Benjamin Graham”

Luxon leaving is a bit of a loss. I'm not sure that I was particularly a fan of his but he was a good reliable safe pair of hands. I was hoping for more information about replacement and handover but I guess the process of finding a replacement starts now (if it hadn't already started).

I do feel that he let things slide to some degree. Constantly cutting until something gives, and that was Air NZ's reputation, culminating in the Luxon apology tour in Sept 2018: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...w-zealand.html. Some of those things were out of his control (fuel pipeline, RR engine) but some should've been foreseen and rectified sooner (growth in lounge demand, contact centre delays). Airlines are a fickle business and it's much harder to gain customers than it is to not lose them in the first place.

He did produce solid reliable financial results, grow the airline, and made some good growth decisions along the way (Buenos Aires, Houston, Chicago) as well as some less good (Vietnam and Phillipines). I see him as consolidating after the transformative Fyfe era rather than bringing much new. Useful work but not exciting.

People are touting him as a new John Key, but re-reading my description above I'd see him as more Bill English than John Key. Safe. Reliable. Cost-cutting. I may be totally off the mark here though as I haven't followed him that closely (despite feeling the need to write several paragraphs here about his AIR career).

Also, did someone mention about that Roger has gone? That is also a bit of a loss too. I'll probably miss him more than I will miss CL.

Veteran novice

Quote Originally Posted by 777 View Post
    Not likely. CEO will be appointed by the parent, ANZ Bank, and they will want a banker, ie one of their own choice, in the CEO's job.

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    Not likely. CEO will be appointed by the parent, ANZ Bank, and they will want a banker, ie one of their own choice, in the CEO's job.
    Whats so sacrosanct about a banker in the job.?.
    many of them have stuffed up.
    Rbnz would have to “approve the person as being capable of doing the job”
    But that doesn’t say he or she has to be a banker.

Quote Originally Posted by Lola View Post
    Whats so sacrosanct about a banker in the job.?.
    many of them have stuffed up.
    Rbnz would have to “approve the person as being capable of doing the job”
    But that doesn’t say he or she has to be a banker.
    Moving back to AIR, interesting to see where yields head with all these discounted airfares in the past few months. Some of the lowest prices I have ever seen on AIR. Instead of being a premium over the competition for once they have been the cheapest by some margin.

The best thing Wing Commander Luxon did was pull the rip cord on Virgin(Under Arm Bowlers Division) and push them out of the plane.

His biggest missed opportunity was failing to flog Cullen Airlines off to Etihad when they were paying silly money for airlines. Now that Etihad is in a financial stall the taxpayers could have brought it back at a large discount. Think of the transaction as a reverse Cullen.

Boop boop de do
    Marilyn
    Diamonds are a girls best friend.

If I was the Emir of Etihad I would be offering Wing Commander Luxon gold frankincense and myr to entice him to take on the job of sorting out Etihad.

He could even offer Michael Cullen a supporting role where he would hide in a cupboard and when the Wing Commander wanted advice he opens the door asks for advice and then does the opposite.

Boop boop de do
    Marilyn
    Diamonds are a girls best friend.

Interesting news out of the Paris Air Show, the new A321 XLR has been announced, a slighter longer range aircraft with better economy on this mid distance trips. Qantas and Air Asia converting their A321 orders into the XLR variant. I wonder if AIR would do the same, especially given the competition with Jetstar. It would give them huge coverage in the Asia market.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLfyOd3Vedk

Guru

Asia is not "mid distance"

Default Case against Z

JIT with a know weak line in supply...

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/113...ipeline-damage

Quote Originally Posted by Raz View Post
    JIT with a know weak line in supply...

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/113...ipeline-damage
    Come home to all the noise on the Koru lounges, just reminds me how badly this airline, in some aspects, has been run for a long time.