sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny1 View Post
    9000 been laid off from Rolls Royce, good luck with getting the 787 engines serviced in a timely manager in the future... If AIR puts all its faith in the current 787 fleet going forward then good luck to them!
    Yeah I saw that on CNBC yesterday, was pretty savage eh.

You fix em mate so I think what you're trying to tell us is they're a nightmare liner in more ways than just the engines

Interesting little snippet at the end of this announcement https://www.nzx.com/announcements/353578 Executive team downsized but wait there is more...
    "Mr Foran will now commence a review of the airline’s Senior Leadership Team".

One wonders if pilots earning ~ $500K aren't next in line after that for the next stage of the review process ?
    Last edited by Beagle; 22-05-2020 at 05:22 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

I'll be voting with my money, my airNZ fare said I could cancel online with a cancellation fee of approx 20% of the total fare. After 3 calls I could not cancel or get a refund, and no credit yet as my flight is in July. I love the airNZ planes and service however this has put me off flying with them completely for at least the next year. I will likely begrudgingly return to them if they make it through, but for the time being, not a chance.

Dreamliners ...once broken never fixed

A lemon always a lemon
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12334254 Looks like a really "fun and safe" experience flying.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12334254 Looks like a really "fun and safe" experience flying.
    Lets face it - people are people. Just passing a school a couple of days ago and seeing large groups of kids sitting bum to bum and face to face in the play ground. I don't think we can blame AIR for all attributes of homo so called sapiens.

As well - even if there is still community spread in NZ (which is possible, but not likely) ... the spread in a plane would be significantly lower than e.g. in a church congregation going through their usual songs (even with 2 m distance between singers).

Still - they obviously could better control the disembarkation process and I can't fathom why AIR are not able to provide masks for the passengers who still want to protect themselves.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Industry talk -

One of the questions during last weeks’ OAG webinars was from a New York-based corporate travel agent. He suggested that after 9/11 the people who got back on planes were considered “brave” but with COVID-19 those returning to the skies are deemed “careless”. It’s an interesting observation and highlights the important role that public perceptions about the safety of flying will play in helping the aviation sector return to some semblance of normalcy. Of course, what is really needed is that the public become confident travellers once again.

https://www.oag.com/blog/brave-carel..._hsmi=88290981
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Lets face it - people are people. Just passing a school a couple of days ago and seeing large groups of kids sitting bum to bum and face to face in the play ground. I don't think we can blame AIR for all attributes of homo so called sapiens.

As well - even if there is still community spread in NZ (which is possible, but not likely) ... the spread in a plane would be significantly lower than e.g. in a church congregation going through their usual songs (even with 2 m distance between singers).

Still - they obviously could better control the disembarkation process and I can't fathom why AIR are not able to provide masks for the passengers who still want to protect themselves.
    I would expect AIR's staff to provide a controlled and safe embarkation and disembarkation process.
    AIR, the so called premium airline where you book a window seat and hope they leave the middle seat vacant, bring your own hand sanitizer, antibacterial wipes because who really knows when they last cleaned the armrests, mask, gloves, water, snack and magazine and huddle in your seat until everyone else has disembarked to try to stay safe. No evidence that I know of to support the theory you suggested in your second paragraph.
    Last edited by Beagle; 24-05-2020 at 01:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    No evidence that I know of to support the theory you suggested in your second paragraph.
    No evidence?

Try with the official government numbers. When was the last time we had a new Covid 19 case which they could not link to either an existing cluster or to overseas travel? Must be at least four weeks or so ago.

What is the typical incubation period? - 5 to 7 days.

So - what is the likelihood of community infection still going on?
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Membaa

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    So - what is the likelihood of community infection still going on?
    Roughly 5 one thousandths percentage of the population has the virus currently and they should be in isolation recovering. My view is that is safe enough to go to level one and resume all business, including air travel with no restrictions or distancing within New Zealand.

the spread in a plane would be significantly lower than e.g. in a church congregation going through their usual songs (even with 2 m distance between singers).BP
    No argument with what you said about community transmission now being unlikely but where is your evidence to support this bold claim. I would have no reservations about going back to church with 2m distancing but have serious reservations about getting on a plane anytime soon with their so called social distancing.
    Last edited by Beagle; 24-05-2020 at 07:08 PM.