sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post

My view: A perfectly understandable commercial decision. How long does it really take for Kapiti coast residents to drive to Wellington and catch a flight ? Probably less than the amount of time it takes the average Auckland resident to get to the Auckland airport. I think they need to harden up a bit. Come and try commuting on Auckland roads for a week and then they'd see they've got nothing to complain about ! P.S. I couldn't resist and went into wises maps to see the distance from Kapiti coast to Wellington airport. Its 61 km's and an estimated travelling time of 59 minutes. You be the judge if that's a hardship or not.
    I share your view too Beagle re Air's decision on Kapiti coast. But also understand that for Wellingtonians and folks living just outside the Region, a 20 min ride is already a long ride

Outside thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by RGR367 View Post
    I share your view too Beagle re Air's decision on Kapiti coast. But also understand that for Wellingtonians and folks living just outside the Region, a 20 min ride is already a long ride
    The 20 min ride you cite is more like 45 mins in practical reality and at least 1 hour to 1.5 hrs at peak times...... however this may shorten by perhaps 15 mins after Transmission Gully is completed in 2020.

That said, I'm happy with AIRs decision. Small airlines may fill the gap. Disc; not holding AIR.
    Last edited by Leftfield; 10-03-2018 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Left field View Post
    The 20 min ride you cite is more like 45 mins in practical reality and at least 1 hour to 1.5 hrs at peak times...... however this may shorten by perhaps 15 mins after Transmission Gully is completed in 2020.

That said, I'm happy with AIRs decision. Small airlines may fill the gap. Disc; not holding AIR.
    AIR have said they are more than happy to share historical passanger load data with any other airline interested in taking over the service. Seems more than fair and reasonable to me.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

According to google maps, the equivalent journey time of Kapiti Coast Airport to Wellington Airport (57min) is Te Ohaki just north of Huntly to Auckland Airport (57min).

I know the former is ludicrously optimistic (unless driving at midnight), no idea about the latter. I wouldn't be using either of these times as accurate guidelines if I had to catch a flight or for a commute.

Dilettante

Some suggestions from within the industry that cancellation of Kapiti flights and some recent delays and cancellations are due to difficulty for AIR (other airlines in similar situation) to man their current rosters with pilots.
    This pilot shortage is a worldwide issue so not surprising but this may well be a drag on AIR's growth plans.

percy

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    About to board my first Dreamliner long haul flight since the engine issue came up. Will be watching the engine to see how it appears down in the Antarctic. Will buy more AIR on Monday if we make it ��
    I dared not comment at the time,but seeing you are still posting, I am pleased you got home safely.!

Quote Originally Posted by Antipodean View Post
    According to google maps, the equivalent journey time of Kapiti Coast Airport to Wellington Airport (57min) is Te Ohaki just north of Huntly to Auckland Airport (57min).

I know the former is ludicrously optimistic (unless driving at midnight), no idea about the latter. I wouldn't be using either of these times as accurate guidelines if I had to catch a flight or for a commute.
    Living on Kapiti Coast, Id allow a minimum of 90-120 mins to get to Wellington Airport. Its getting worse all tge time. People here are really upset about losing the Akld flights, we suspect the airport will soon be carved up for housing.

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    I dared not comment at the time,but seeing you are still posting, I am pleased you got home safely.!
    It is great to see that AIR and RR have successfully managed their way through the engine problems and are bringing the Dreamliners back into full schedule. It has removed what was potentially a very serious problem for AIR. Well done AIR.

Nice to see you back safely mate. You buying at this level ? Disc: Holding and I sense the current price ~ $3.30 is about fair value.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Nice to see you back safely mate. You buying at this level ? Disc: Holding and I sense the current price ~ $3.30 is about fair value.
    No I'm not buying Beagle, last purchase was about 3 weeks ago. Was hoping it would drop a bit when it went XD to accumulate a few more but not to be. Will patiently wait to take advantage of any drops in SP but you I feel it is fairly and fully priced at the moment. The business seems to be humming along nicely with the latest addition being 5 flights pw directly to Taipei.