Link: Why the world’s flight paths are such a mess

Might be of interest to some of you.
    om mani peme hum

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Leopard View Post
    Link: Why the world’s flight paths are such a mess

Might be of interest to some of you.
    That was cool. Thanks.

Air NZ will be looking to make a decision on the replacement for their 777-200ER - they have 9 and there are another 8 777-300ER.
    Their choices are going to come down to the Airbus 350 XWB or the 777-X series.
    The 777-X is exclusively running the General Electric GE9X which is the biggest turbofan in the world today and the Airbus runs the Rolls Royce Trent XWB which is a development of the Trent 900 and 1000.

You would think that Air NZ would be having a really good chat with Airbus and Rolls Royce about the XWB and that Boeing would want to keep Air NZ to replace their 777 with another 777.

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rep View Post
    Air NZ will be looking to make a decision on the replacement for their 777-200ER - they have 9 and there are another 8 777-300ER.
    The 777-X is exclusively running the General Electric GE9X which is the biggest turbofan in the world today and the Airbus runs the Rolls Royce Trent XWB which is a development of the Trent 900 and 1000.

You would think that Air NZ would be having a really good chat with Airbus and Rolls Royce about the XWB and that Boeing would want to keep Air NZ to replace their 777 with another 777.
    Of the 9+8 one of each is a short-term replacement for the Bad Dreams.

Which brings me round to the fact that you can replace a -200 with a 787 which are now tried and tested .

I would have thought you would want 777-8 as are placement for the -200 but they are not due (for first delivery) until 2022 and if they are late (787's were 4 years late) then you are up a tree without a paddle.

So A350 it is then.

I am glad I do not have to make these decisions.
    Last edited by Snow Leopard; 18-10-2018 at 08:28 PM.
    om mani peme hum

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by Rep View Post

Can't see why any airline would be making the RR Trent engines, whatever variety, a part of their future plans. One also wonders, after hearing of Airbus' A380 production demise largely blamed on RR engine under performance, whether Airbus continuing with RR is a European political decision, not a commercial one !

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Leopard View Post
    Of the 9+8 one of each is a short-term replacement for the Bad Dreams.

Which brings me round to the fact that you can replace a -200 with a 787 which are now tried and tested .

I would have thought you would want 777-8 as are placement for the -200 but they are not due (for first delivery) until 2022 and if they are late (787's were 4 years late) then you are up a tree without a paddle.

So A350 it is then.

I am glad I do not have to make these decisions.
    The A350 XWB has EASA ETOPS 370 and is looking for 420+ in due course, the US FAA has given it ETOPS 180+ but then the bad dream with the Trent had 330 ETOPS but the FAA has cut that back to 140... The 787 was late because it was all new incl composites and the 777 is a development of an existing aircraft... but Airbus can get it wrong too look at the sales of the 340 and 380 four engine frames vs the twins which is why the 350 is being pushed but either way it’s a big call and a pivotal one

I think they've been badly burned with the nightmare-liner. $30-40m in extra costs this year that appear to be unrecoverable from RR is not the full extent of it. The brand has been materially impacted by inconsistent and substandard service since this fiasco started unfolding. One would hope that AIR senior exec's have the common sense to be gun-shy of choosing any aircraft powered by any iteration of that trent engine.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12144673

Dow transports down another 2.5% overnight on Wall St. I hope people have already made their decision to either fix their seat belt very firmly or look for the emergency exit. GLTA. For me, TA looks shocking and there's no way I'm going to get in front of that plane flying at 500 knots even if the spotty leopard thinks we're approaching fair value.

P.S. Koru lounge fiasco and speaking of fiasco's... some interesting comment on nightmare-liner problems. Problems to last at least another 12 months.
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12144798

Probably the next 12 months is a good time to be "on holiday" from having shares in AIR.
    Last edited by Beagle; 19-10-2018 at 10:05 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

What a truly shocking mess this situation is but at least now Saudi Arabia have stopped threatening to weaponize oil
    https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/22/khas...l-embargo.html
    https://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/world...cid=spartandhp
    If the crown prince the de facto leader of Saudi Arabia is clearly implicated there could be trouble ahead.
    Last edited by Beagle; 23-10-2018 at 08:01 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Banned

Acting like a real dog this one, I swapped a 10k divvy for a 60k red arrow, not a particularly tasteful swap.Lol

Wasn't Dame Walsh buying last week? Must be all good, than ...
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)