sharetrader
Page 4 of 2018 FirstFirst 1234567814541045041004 ... LastLast

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Guru

So what do other punters think the book build price will be and will it be worth picking some up at around that price.

I reackon it could be as low at $1.55 but not too sure.

quote:Originally posted by blackcap

So what do other punters think the book build price will be and will it be worth picking some up at around that price.

I reackon it could be as low at $1.55 but not too sure.
    Rather put my money in the bank.
    This stock shines so bright that it \"Bling Blings\"

quote:Not that I'm a plane spotter or anything.
    I am an unreconstructed plane spotter. When I went overseas with my family as a kid, they all came back with pictures of bridges and castles and people and places... I came back with pictures of aircraft and airports

Sad I know...
    Marriage isn't a word. It's a sentence

quote:Not that I'm a plane spotter or anything.
    I am an unreconstructed plane spotter. When I went overseas with my family as a kid, they all came back with pictures of bridges and castles and people and places... I came back with pictures of aircraft and airports

Sad I know...

Edited to add: That don't mean I'd ever want to buy one!

quote:Originally posted by Placebo

Here's another cloud on the horizon. AIR are one of only 2 confirmed buyers for the new Boeing 7E7. Airbus has now announced it will produce a rival 250-seat twin-aisle widebody based on its existing A330. Boeing is doing its best to shoot it down. The question is, will AIR be left with a dud on its hands?
    When did Boeing last make a dud?

quote:Originally posted by biker

quote:Originally posted by Placebo

Here's another cloud on the horizon. AIR are one of only 2 confirmed buyers for the new Boeing 7E7. Airbus has now announced it will produce a rival 250-seat twin-aisle widebody based on its existing A330. Boeing is doing its best to shoot it down. The question is, will AIR be left with a dud on its hands?
    When did Boeing last make a dud?
    Try the 747 SP which was bought by Qantas amongst other airlines and had to be discontinued. Also, the 757.

But the 7E7 will be a big success as the fuel efficiency (15% lower fuel usage) and cabin layout will allow for greater frequency of flights allowing for flexibility and higher load factors.
    I'll have a Aussie beer........yeah right

...add the 737 business jet. But I agree, most of their products have been incredibly successful. Has anyone here never been on a Boeing aircraft?

My comment about the 7E7 potentially being a dud are around what happens in creating a new market sector, then finding others have got their noses in front and pinched it off you. This can potentially lead to a lower production run and higher maintenance costs for operators. The Lockheed L10-11 is a classic example of this. A widebody tri-jet lost out heavily to DC-10 and 747. Airbus coming into the sector with their option is something Boeing clearly hadn't considered. They are clearly worried about the threat posed by Airbus in the large aircraft markets -- hence planning a stretched super 747 to combat the A380.

Told u I was a planespotter![]

Banned

Singapore Airlines has sold its 6.3 per cent stake in Air New Zealand for around $NZ61.7 million, or $NZ1.63 per share, a 3 per cent discount on the stock's previous closing price.

Air New Zealand was down 3c at $1.65 on Wednesday morning, after being placed in a trading halt for Tuesday's session.

Singapore Airlines' placement agent, UBS, said there was strong institutional demand for the 37.83 million shares from both domestic and offshore institutions.

SIA will book a loss of nearly $500 million on its four-year investment in Air NZ. It paid around $15/share (adjusting for this year's five-for-one share consolidation), for its 25 per cent stake.

Air NZ shares have been in a slump since September 8, when British Airways sold its 18.25 per cent stake in Qantas. Air NZ shares had been trading at $1.94 the day before the BA announcement.

There was speculation SIA might be interested in Qantas. SIA's major shareholder, the Singapore government investment agency Temasek Holdings, ended up with 3 per cent of Qantas from that bookbuild.

The BA decision is seen as opening the way for mergers by major airlines in the Asia-Pacific region. Qantas and SIA are in talks to combine maintenance and training for the Airbus A380 planes.

Air NZ's shares have also been pressured over the last month by soaring fuel prices and the High Court ruling against its proposed tie-up with Qantas.

News of the SIA decision to quit Air NZ was leaked to the Australian Financial Review on Monday y.

SIA said in a statement its decision to sell was "consistent with its strategy to monetize non-core holdings and will not impact on various areas of co-operation between the two airlines, which will continue' '.

SIA had an extremely bumpy ride on Air NZ's share register. Its main purpose in investing in Air NZ was to get into the Australian domestic market through Air NZ's subsidiary, Ansett Australia.

Ansett's collapse in 2001 not only meant SIA had lost hundreds of millions on its investment, but it also lost interest in the kiwi airline.

SIA wanted to bail out Ansett and Air NZ by lifting its stake in Air NZ to 49 per cent, but that deal was rejected by the Government. SIA rejected a deal to recapitalise Air NZ whereby it, and then 30 per cent owner Brierley Investments, would each inject $150m and the Government $550m. In the end, the Government bailed out the airline on its own with an $885m package that gave the Government 82 per cent of the equity and diluted SIA's stake.

© 2004 AAP

The only civilian one that popped into my mind was the 747Sp, I don't think the 757 is a dud?

quote:Has anyone here never been on a Boeing aircraft?
    That's a reasonable point. By contrast, I'd never been on an airbus until Vietnam (!!!)