sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Air China this time.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/trave...engine-failure

Flightaware.com says was a Dreamliner

Think I’ll avoid those planes for a while ....dreadful planes to fly in anyway
    And another one bites the dust. Seven engines down now and starting to fail at a slightly alarming rate now they are starting to accumulate some time on them.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfomloUg2Gw If you can stand the RR PR they say that the engine casing is designed to protect the aircraft in the event of an fan blade coming adrift. Video contains an example of such, sorry can't stomach watching this again and pin pointing at what point in the video this happens BUT a "little birdie" told me just as in the Air china incident AIR's Dreamliner rego ZK-NZE suffered quite some damage and will be grounded for quite some time until Boeing can fix it. Worth noting the engine casing that protects the aircrafts critical systems and fuel tanks is only 2.5mm thick.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I'm pleased to say Air NZ has changed my flight from EZE on Wednesday from Dreamliner to 777-200. Unlike you winner, I loved traveling in them but they have a serious confidence issue to deal with here.
    I am pleased for you mate. This issue is serious enough in my view such that I would not currently choose to book a Dreamliner flight. Not trying to be a scaremonger but now we have three failures in quick succession its crystal clear to me this is an extremely serious issue. How many more must fail before Civil aviation steps in and grounds all AIR planes with early variant Trent 1000 engines ?

Quote Originally Posted by 777 View Post
    SO how does your theory apply to all the airports in equatorial regions. Singapore, Dubai, Doha. Regularly up tin the 40's c.

Auckland has the odd day over the mid 20's c. Very temperate.

Stick to your posing for the camera.
    Maybe, maybe not. Is it just a coincidence then that of the tens of thousands of operated flights over the years with this Trent 1000 engine type failures worldwide since this engine variant commenced in service many years have in total been seven BUT three of these seven failures have been on flights leaving Auckland in the last ten days when it has been most unusually hot here lately for this time of year ? Maybe its a combination of heat and humidity ? How do you explain this remarkable coincidence ?

Is this just an alarming coincidence or are these fan blades and the corrosion thereof now reaching a point where the structural integrity of these blades may now present a clear danger to the travelling public ?
    I don't believe in the likelihood of such a remarkable coincidence especially now we have had three failures in very quick succession. Where there is smoke there is fire and without in any way pretending to be a jet engine engineer there is clearly a growing body of evidence that we have a very serious problem with these engines. RR official line as annunciated in a behind the paywall article on NBR Friday last week is that this will inconvenience AIR for the remainder of 2017 with the inconvenience gradually abating through the first half of 2018. For people who believe their PR they go on to say this issue can be managed through maintenance.
    I understand this maintenance includes very short inspection intervals of the affected fan blades while airlines await fitment of new design blades. Disc: Looking forward to being a shareholder again in this great company when this issue has been properly fixed.
    Last edited by Beagle; 17-12-2017 at 04:46 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by Paper Tiger View Post
    M
    PS: AIR is overvalued, especially with those dodgy fuel-efficient dreamers dropping engines left right and center .
    Very prophetic...left right and center it is !! I feel the shares are fair value but not while the airline faces the risks it presently does. Some people like to proactively manage their portfolio in a prudent manner to obtain an optimal return based on potential risks and rewards...others take a more relaxed approach. Time will tell which approach is better but it would be fair to say I am very happy indeed with my portfolio reallocation this last week with PPH up nearly 20%.
    Last edited by Beagle; 17-12-2017 at 04:55 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    And another one bites the dust. Seven engines down now and starting to fail at a slightly alarming rate now they are starting to accumulate some time on them.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfomloUg2Gw If you can stand the RR PR they say that the engine casing is designed to protect the aircraft in the event of an fan blade coming adrift. Video contains an example of such, sorry can't stomach watching this again and pin pointing at what point in the video this happens BUT a "little birdie" told me just as in the Air china incident AIR's Dreamliner rego ZK-NZE suffered quite some damage and will be grounded for quite some time until Boeing can fix it. Worth noting the engine casing that protects the aircrafts critical systems and fuel tanks is only 2.5mm thick.

I am pleased for you mate. This issue is serious enough in my view such that I would not currently choose to book a Dreamliner flight. Not trying to be a scaremonger but now we have three failures in quick succession its crystal clear to me this is an extremely serious issue. How many more must fail before Civil aviation steps in and grounds all AIR planes with early variant Trent 1000 engines ?
    I am totally with you on this one Beagle. I have been a frequent user of Air's Dreamliners on long overseas (literally) routes. I will not be booking any more Dreamliner flights with them and will rather book alternative airlines with indirect (more) flights to get to my destination. I think their silence on this issue is appalling. Have also sold my AIR shares because of this issue. Not impressed.

That Dreamliner ZK-NZF which had problems en route to EZE was back up and flying 2 days later

Today it’s heading to Osaka according to Flightradar24

Must have been all fixed up
    Last edited by winner69; 17-12-2017 at 05:24 PM.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Advanced Member

That Dreamliner ZK-NZF which had problems en route to EZE was back up and flying 2 days later

Today it’s heading to Tokyo according to Flightradar24

Storm in a Beagle cup. Air Nz officially now the worlds worst airline, until Beagle buys again.

Today it’s heading to Tokyo according to Flightradar24

Yeap a little birdie told me that they scavenged the one remaining good engine off ZK-NZE to fix up ZK-NZF seeing as the former will be grounded for quite some considerable time. At one point they had 4 of their shiny new $150m birds sitting sadly on the tarmac looking "winged", now 3.

Quote Originally Posted by ratkin View Post
    Storm in a Beagle cup. Air Nz officially now the worlds worst airline, until Beagle buys again.
    You can put your own "slant" on it and are perfectly entitled to your point of view. It is not AIR's fault, surely you understand this is a Rolls Royce issue ? However I do feel AIR could be more forthcoming regarding what happened to ZK-NZE but obviously for commercial reasons they don't want to alarm the travelling public. AIR are managing this the best way they can and it is a very good company and very well managed. They are being let down by Rolls Royce.

Why exactly do you think that three of these engine failures in ten days is completely irrelevant ? How can you be sure there won't be more failures and what makes you so sure that there is no risk to the fuselage or critical flight systems of other aircraft. 2.5mm engine casing is impenetrable right...or is it ?
    Last edited by Beagle; 17-12-2017 at 05:34 PM.

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by ratkin View Post
    As a traveler on these birds this is no storm in any cup. This is real **** that AIR has dealt with extremely poorly and will lose a lot of business if they dont sort it soon. How many of these incidents do you think we need before the public says NO to traveling on these engines and planes (by connection) ?

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

Unhappy If the worst comes to the worst, which hopefully it will not

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I am totally with you on this one Beagle. I have been a frequent user of Air's Dreamliners on long overseas (literally) routes. I will not be booking any more Dreamliner flights with them and will rather book alternative airlines with indirect (more) flights to get to my destination. I think their silence on this issue is appalling. Have also sold my AIR shares because of this issue. Not impressed.
    To be honest you want to check if the airline you are intending to fly with has any RR powered 787s and if so avoid them.

If the RR 787s are grounded world wide then that can affect the entire airline and have a knock on effect on their other services.
    LAN/LATAM for instance have RR 787s.

I have only been booking with 787 free and GE powered 787 airlines (such as Qatar, China Southern etc).

Best Wishes
    Flying Tiger
    om mani peme hum

Do all 12(?) AIR Dreamliners have Trent 1000 or Trent 1000 TEN engines?

And will these TEN versions start having same problems in a year or two?
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”