sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12334254 Looks like a really "fun and safe" experience flying.
    Clearly separation on Air NZ is not social distancing separation of 1 metre.....

Sitting in the window, the aisle seat is less than 1 metre. Someone in the seat behind is less than 1 metre. Someone in front is less than 1 metre.

Any of them sneeze...…

But in my books, if you are really that worried, then don't get in a metal tube with complete strangers to fly the length of the country.

Agree 100% and that's the reason a lot of people won't fly for the foreseeable future. Plenty of interesting places you can comfortably drive too in N.Z. My north island favorite is Taupo.
    Last edited by Beagle; 25-05-2020 at 08:28 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Guru

Agree 100% and that's the reason a lot of people won't fly for the foreseeable future. Plenty of interesting places you can comfortably drive too in N.Z. My north island favorite is Taupo.
    Personally I'd be reasonably relaxed hopping on a domestic flight currently. But then again I don't really NEED to go anywhere.

Most of my travel is for work, and business travel is going to be reined right in by a lot of businesses - questioning whether people really NEED to travel, and now people are more use to Zoom/Skype/MS Teams etc and that video conferencing can work sufficiently. Then there is the economic situation and many firms being (or going to be) under the pump.

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow Bob View Post
    Personally I'd be reasonably relaxed hopping on a domestic flight currently. But then again I don't really NEED to go anywhere.

Most of my travel is for work, and business travel is going to be reined right in by a lot of businesses - questioning whether people really NEED to travel, and now people are more use to Zoom/Skype/MS Teams etc and that video conferencing can work sufficiently. Then there is the economic situation and many firms being (or going to be) under the pump.
    It actually been great to get away from the grind of the international flights for work...the SI has plenty to do and a only a few hours away via car. Enjoying the difference.

Yeah I expect there will be a lot more virtual meetings in future which will undermine the most lucrative part of AIR's business.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Guru

Yeah I expect there will be a lot more virtual meetings in future which will undermine the most lucrative part of AIR's business.
    Yes, business travel often at relatively short-notice, and much, much less sensitive to price than leisure market. Know I've paid some eye-watering fares in the recent past because I "have" to be there and no other workable options to travel than AIR.

But having said that - travel is relatively never been cheaper (at least pre-Covid).

Would normally do 2-3 long haul and then say 12 domestic trips per annum for business. Our business would have saved a fortune in recent months.

Yes, business travel often at relatively short-notice, and much, much less sensitive to price than leisure market. Know I've paid some eye-watering fares in the recent past because I "have" to be there and no other workable options to travel than AIR.

But having said that - travel is relatively never been cheaper (at least pre-Covid).

Would normally do 2-3 long haul and then say 12 domestic trips per annum for business. Our business would have saved a fortune in recent months.
    Virtual meetings are not so bad these days. I bought Mrs Beagle a lovely Hewlett Packard state of the art system with super high resolution huge 27 inch screen just before the lockdown. The screen is so big and crystal clear its almost like "being there". I think there is going to be a real seismic shift in many companies perceptions about this form of virtual meeting being perfectly acceptable.
    Can't even really shake hands in business safely yet anyway. As you say, business travel is often at very short notice and very high prices and the front end of planes is where the money is made.

No argument with what you said about community transmission now being unlikely but where is your evidence to support this bold claim. I would have no reservations about going back to church with 2m distancing but have serious reservations about getting on a plane anytime soon with their so called social distancing.
    Quite easy.
    Plenty of examples for super spreaders being active in churches (or any religious congregations). I suppose I don't need to point to individual examples. On the other hand - I am not aware of many cases (if any) of active super spreader infecting significant numbers of other passengers in planes. Are you?
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Quite easy.
    Plenty of examples for super spreaders being active in churches (or any religious congregations). I suppose I don't need to point to individual examples. On the other hand - I am not aware of many cases (if any) of active super spreader infecting significant numbers of other passengers in planes. Are you?
    Were any of those church's practising 2 meter social distancing ? No, to the best of my knowledge they all started well before such measures were even thought of.

Were any of those church's practising 2 meter social distancing ? No, to the best of my knowledge they all started well before such measures were even thought of.
    Fair enough ... but then - I would not hold my breath that the typical church goer shows more discipline in social distancing than the typical air traveler (that's where we started). How should they? At the end it is the same people.

Given that there are several examples of super spreaders in quires where most members got sick after one performance with super spreader (and they could not possibly all have stood less than 2 m to the relevant Covid 19 spreader) do I still maintain that attending a church service - even with social distancing - is in my view less safe than going on a plane.

Obviously - the dangerous activities when attending a service are any social contacts as well as singing and chanting (which propels virus infected droplets well beyond the 2 m boundary). If the congregation refrains from social contacts (like handshaking, embracing, kissing, ...) as well as from singing and / or chanting (or if they use properly applied masks throughout the service), then I agree - going to a church should not be more dangerous than going on a plane :
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)