sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Thanks for confirming that Benny1. I won't take the bait on other possible industrial action because I can't remember when any other union last threatened to strike as it seems so many years ago
    Have a good Christmas.
    Last edited by Beagle; 21-12-2018 at 05:01 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

From somebody on the flight showing off their new neo thing. A few things didn’t work but this is hilarious

Steve Biddle (@stevebiddle)
    24/12/18, 4:23 PM
    The round of applause on the plane when they had to stop the safety video about 15 seconds in and do a manual demonstration because a screen wouldn't drop down pretty much sums up the entire video and people's attitudes towards it.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

I saw a Reddit thread which summed it up pretty well too. Person flying from AKL to ZQN Christmas day "so how was watching that 'safety' video" "pls no".

I think "pls no" is a pretty good summary. Seen it four times this last three weeks, and it absolutely hurts to think how much they spent on it (hundreds of talented kiwis?!?) after spending five minutes watching it, which is actually longer that the shortest flight in the world, which clocks in at about 2min 30sec.

I have a great way that Chris Luxon can save some of his $30m. Bring back past safety video's that are confirmed classics for example the safety in paradise video was a great one and would be very suitable for the summer season. Why spend hundreds of thousands (millions ?), on new video's every year when we already have interesting and humorous safety video's ?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0tkeGPG_8Q From memory the P.C. brigade killed this one off early. Bring it back I say !
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

I remember flying on Virgin America in 2015 where the safety video was done in the form of a music video/song. At the time I appreciated that at least Air NZ didn't do songs. I didn't pay any attention because it was just music to me. A song isn't a great way to get me to pay attention to "important safety information", instead I just hum along to the tune.

And here we are 3 years later with Air NZ giving us a song that I just want to ignore. Or hum along to.

Go The Warriors "This Year!"

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    I have a great way that Chris Luxon can save some of his $30m. Bring back past safety video's that are confirmed classics for example the safety in paradise video was a great one and would be very suitable for the summer season. Why spend hundreds of thousands (millions ?), on new video's every year when we already have interesting and humorous safety video's ?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0tkeGPG_8Q From memory the P.C. brigade killed this one off early. Bring it back I say !
    Those videos didn't feature a gender neutral singer unlike the latest one..
    I use 'singer' in the widest possible context...
    You would believe the amount of PC bull...t ruling this place these days....

I was on a flight earlier this month and I watched my fellow passengers around me while we were subjected to the video...
    Most looked away put their own headphones back on or sat there with a look of disgust on their faces!

Quote Originally Posted by Benny1 View Post
    Those videos didn't feature a gender neutral singer unlike the latest one..
    I use 'singer' in the widest possible context...
    You would believe the amount of PC bull...t ruling this place these days....

I was on a flight earlier this month and I watched my fellow passengers around me while we were subjected to the video...
    Most looked away put their own headphones back on or sat there with a look of disgust on their faces!
    I don't know how you can stand the absolute tsunami of politically correct nonsense these days to be honest.
    Their latest "safety" video comes in for special mention in the latest Showshine annual "awards" presentation with special mention of more sick bags required.
    https://www.nbr.co.nz/story/2018-rev...les-out-awards It would appear that multiple tsunami's of political correctness are about to be thrust upon the public as well whether they like them or not...I'm "so happy"
    Last edited by Beagle; 27-12-2018 at 12:45 PM.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/...9000km-in-2018

1700 km per flight...must be one of the few people that uses AIR to Europe on a regular basis..thought most business travellers had flicked them for that route. Perhaps one of their staff

Advanced Member

As a shareholder, must admit I've changed my mind on that safety video when realised how much of a marketing tool they have become.
    i.e. The Hobbit safety video has racked up over 2.7 million hits on You Tube, while the current safety video has already reached almost 2.3 million hits.
    After production costs, that's an awful lot of free advertising, a lot of it reaching into Asian & US markets.