sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
    Would Air ever consider resuming Antarctic flights? Would there even be a market for that?
    I have thought about that and wondered why AIR does not try it, now that we have all Kiwis travelling domestically. I think AIR is failing, not giving this a go https://antarcticaflights.com.au/

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I have thought about that and wondered why AIR does not try it, now that we have all Kiwis travelling domestically. I think AIR is failing, not giving this a go https://antarcticaflights.com.au/
    Maybe you weren't here on the fateful day and remember what happened. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Erebus_disaster
    What Kiwi of a certain age can forget Justice Mahon's haunting words regarding the Mt Erebus investigation "an orchestrated litany of lies"
    Deeply ingrained suspicions remain embedded within the fabric on N.Z. society that that AIR has blood on its hands.
    Excerpt - Privy Council findings :- Regarding the issue of Air New Zealand stating a minimum altitude of 6,000 feet for pilots in the vicinity of McMurdo Base, the Privy Council stated "Their Lordships accept unreservedly that ... the evidence given by several of the executive pilots at the inquiry was false. But, even though false ... it cannot have formed part of a predetermined plan of deception.

I think any attempt by AIR to restart flights to Antarctica would be met with quite considerable resistance and I doubt the Govt would allow such an insensitive proposal to proceed.
    Last edited by Beagle; 16-09-2020 at 08:09 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Guru

" fly me to the moon"

can you imagine any member of parliament.... wait is there anyone there bar winston who can remember that far back?

thats a dead rat..

no one in marketing in there right mind would even bring it up even if they were not born then..

Its never going to happen.

Ill run it past my agent next week just for laugh or rather i think it will be met with a blank stare.
    Last edited by Waltzing; 16-09-2020 at 08:37 AM.

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Maybe you weren't here on the fateful day and remember what happened. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Erebus_disaster
    What Kiwi of a certain age can forget Justice Mahon's haunting words regarding the Mt Erebus investigation "an orchestrated litany of lies"
    Deeply ingrained suspicions remain embedded within the fabric on N.Z. society that that AIR has blood on its hands.
    Excerpt - Privy Council findings :- Regarding the issue of Air New Zealand stating a minimum altitude of 6,000 feet for pilots in the vicinity of McMurdo Base, the Privy Council stated "Their Lordships accept unreservedly that ... the evidence given by several of the executive pilots at the inquiry was false. But, even though false ... it cannot have formed part of a predetermined plan of deception.

I think any attempt by AIR to restart flights to Antarctica would be met with quite considerable resistance and I doubt the Govt would allow such an insensitive proposal to proceed.
    You're right I wasn't here then but am surprised that you think this sad accident would stop scenic flights to Antarctica in 2020 - 2021. Better to leave it to Qantas ? Tens of thousands of Kiwis and Aussies take cruises down to Antarctica annually which they can not do at present. Some of them may well be interested in scenic flights.

There’s a guy who chartered a Dreamliner last year and went south to do some aurora watching ....so far south they were probably over the Antartica anyway

Maybe it will take some enterprising privateer to organise Antartica flights to get AIR interested
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post

It happened 41 years ago! Now, without any cruise going there, there is a good opportunity that I think AIR should step in.

Veteran novice

I'm with Beagle on this one. There's still many of us around who find it difficult to accept AIR's failings in this tragic episode. Any move to "resume" scenic flights to Antarctica would be very badly received by the NZ public, IMO, despite the passage of 41 years.

You're right I wasn't here then but am surprised that you think this sad accident would stop scenic flights to Antarctica in 2020 - 2021. Better to leave it to Qantas ? Tens of thousands of Kiwis and Aussies take cruises down to Antarctica annually which they can not do at present. Some of them may well be interested in scenic flights.
    I remember the day like it was yesterday. I was sitting in my first car listening in on the radio and the sad news was announced that the flight was so late in returning that even on the engines most economical setting it was not possible that the DC10 was still flying and that it must have crashed. The fiasco of what followed over the months and years ahead was of cataclysmic proportions and makes AIR's recent mishandling of the refund issue look like a storm in a very small teacup. As I said earlier today, very deep suspicions remain that AIR as a company tried to cover this up and blame the pilots through a carefully contrived orchestrated litany of lies. Where there's smoke there's fire and I believe AIR as a company at the very least has a high degree of culpability for what happened.

I think starting flights to Antarctica again would be deeply disrespectful to all those people and their decedents who were so profoundly affected by this tragedy.
    Its not the only aircraft they have lost either https://nzhistory.govt.nz/page/air-n...crashes-france Maybe if you were here in N.Z. at the time you would understand my perspective.

By contrast Qantas in its near 100 year history, (they will be 100 years old on 16/11/2020), have never lost an aircraft https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Qantas so yeah...best to leave these difficult navigational journeys to companies that know what they're doing.

Maybe if AIR can string 50 years of crash free flying together (assuming they exist that long into the future), they would have earned the right to wash their hands of the blood of their chequered past ? Until then I reckon scenic flights to Antarctica is a no go zone for AIR.
    Last edited by Beagle; 16-09-2020 at 11:17 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    There’s a guy who chartered a Dreamliner last year and went south to do some aurora watching ....so far south they were probably over the Antartica anyway

Maybe it will take some enterprising privateer to organise Antartica flights to get AIR interested
    My cousin sent me the attached image taken in my childhood town yesterday :-)Attachment 11942

My cousin sent me the attached image taken in my childhood town yesterday :-)Attachment 11942
    That’s one cool aurora mate ..very dramatic
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”