sharetrader
Page 5 of 2018 FirstFirst 12345678915551055051005 ... LastLast

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

More on the "dangers" of flying :

Humming sex toy shuts airport
    05 October 2004

SYDNEY: A sex toy vibrating in a rubbish bin has sparked a security scare and shut a regional Australian airport for almost an hour.

An emergency was declared at the airport in Mackay, 805km north of Brisbane in tropical Queensland state, after airport staff heard a strange noise coming from the bin, Australian Broadcasting Corporation radio said.

"It was rather disconcerting when the rubbish bin started humming furiously," cafeteria manager Lynne Bryant said.

Police evacuated the terminal and were about to call in bomb experts when an unidentified passenger came forward to identify the contents of a package left in the bin.

A police spokeswoman said the package was identified as an "adult novelty device".

Australia has been under heightened security alert since the September 11, 2001, hijacked airliner attacks on the United States and security at major buildings and transport hubs has been tightened even further ahead of an October 9 election.
    Marriage isn't a word. It's a sentence

Over 41 million traded today. Wow......
    I\'d rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

vibrators?
    Marriage isn't a word. It's a sentence

Banned

Citygroup has a buy on Air NZ, link to report by Australian Investment Review, target price NZ$2.20
    ...... http://www.aireview.com/index.php?ac...catid=8&id=673

The Boeing 747sp was very successful in its time, there were no other jets that competed for long haul non stop routes until the advent of the more fuel efficient Rolls-Royce engines that powered Air-NewZealands B747-200's that replaced the DC10's. Then a further death knell when the B747-400 long range with the fuel tank in the horizontal stabilizer was purchased as AirNZ did also. Unfortunately Quantas held on to their old model B747's including the Sp's far too long. Being left with white elephants, many were cut up & sent to the desert. Air NZ/NAC has always picked the correct A/c at the right time, even in the early years when govt pressure to buy pommie crap (in hindsight), Doug Paterson,the then CEO of NAC stood his ground against Heralds & BAC111's.

The Airbus A320 when first went into service with Ansett Aus. & Air Canada & for a number of years was nicknamed the Late bus and scare bus by engineers who dreaded the problems they created, being teething problems of new technology. That was nearly 13 years ago. AirNZ's A320's have all the early teething problems well sorted out and are a leap ahead of the previously successful B737 series that they are replacing.

A friend of mine, a Kiwi who is a manager at Boeing, told me, after I had jibed him 18months ago that AirNZ was going the Airbus way and that many others were also, what were they going to do to counteract it? He said they were already well on the way and pinning their hopes on the new B7E7.
    I guess picking that A/C, and being an initial Airline will give AirNZ the oportunity to spec it for their route requirements, rather than trying to best match an A/C that was for others.
    It will also give more expertise and oportunities for ANZES, the engineering division in advanced composites etc. The flow on effect will also be great for our yacht/boat building burgeoning industry. I think Boeing are about to get the jump on Airbus on this one, as AB are concentrating on their A380 which will replace the reign of the Jumbo being at the top!
    The saying on T shirts/bags etc in the states
    "If it aint Boeing I'm not Goin"
    Your candle loses nothing when it lights another." (John Maxwell)
    Risk comes from not knowing what you are doing - The Tao of Warren Buffett

Cave. Cave. Caveat emptor.
    Read the appendix at the back of Buffettology. Airlines are listed as a commodity stock i.e. low or no barriers to entry, undifferentiated product, heavy price competition. Buffett avoids them like the plague.
    How many airlines have you seen hit the wall in the US and around the world?
    Air NZ will be ruthlessly crunched by Qantas and low cost operators just as RyanAir etc etc have deflated British Air.
    I received some stuff from J B Were advocating buying Air NZ about a month ago. I laughed. I'm laughing harder than ever - co-operation with Qantas out the window, cash issue coming up, gloves off with Singapore Airlines, competitors girding up.....
    I think I might frame the J B Were letter and hang it on the wall for reference at dinner parties for a good joke....

Placebo Posted - 06/10/2004 : 3:06:10 PM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    vibrators?

Yeah I put the axe through several thousand of 'em in a former life - strange but true. The electric motors make great little toys though.

Major von Tempsky Posted - 06/10/2004 : 6:30:52 PM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Cave. Cave. Caveat emptor

Cave canum (Beware of the DOG) [}][:o)]MVT

quote:Originally posted by Major von Tempsky

I received some stuff from J B Were advocating buying Air NZ about a month ago. I laughed. I'm laughing harder than ever - co-operation with Qantas out the window, cash issue coming up, gloves off with Singapore Airlines, competitors girding up.....
    I think I might frame the J B Were letter and hang it on the wall for reference at dinner parties for a good joke....
    Anything that comes out of the JB Were house of recommendations is a laugh. Just do the opposite of their recommendations and you will make money. Here is a few reasons why I am not buying AIR.

1. Rights Issue
    2. Oil prices continue to go up.
    3. Air tickets price are the same as 10 years ago if not cheaper.
    4. Expect more competition
    5. Further carbon tax from Kyoto
    This stock shines so bright that it \"Bling Blings\"

THE KING says now we know the price air sing took for their holding $1.63 and the market has matched it now $1.62,,So what is the price then after the $200 million rights deal where the Gov will cough up $144 million leave share holders to find $56 mil.. if you say it fast it not so big as AIR is suppose to be back in the black there has to be a rock bottom some where.. [^][^]

Good flight on QANTAS yesterday.

I'm flying Air NZ tomorrow. Think that I will do a bit of a 'mystery shopper' test on them.

What do you guys consider to be the important criteria that should be observed?

Disc:no shares, but have a few friends & rellies who work for Air NZ...
    Death will be reality, Life is just an illusion.