sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Quote Originally Posted by Raz View Post
    With the falling NZD... has anyone here sited any decent research on air travel demand and changes in the NZD currency. ps All over the hedge strategy, I'm thinking more market demand.

I would think domestic would be inelastic..international not so sure...

No research mate but as you know N.Z. is widely regarded by overseas tourists as an expensive destination both in terms of logistics, getting here,and costs while they're here. Like you I think a lower $Kiwi would help tourism demand. I am neutral on AIR at the current price and only hold a modest stake.
    Last edited by Beagle; 14-08-2018 at 03:12 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.”
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

FWIW, Air NZ has launched a promotion offering HK/Auckland round trip tickets in all classes at below the usual prices (and below Cathay's current prices on the same route).

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12108044

They should call this new ultra long range flight the DVT special lol
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.”
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12108044

They should call this new ultra long range flight the DVT special lol
    Exactly!

Something I found really does make a difference on long flights & recommend, is wearing those long DVT pressure socks (to just below the knee) even if you're not in risk category.
    Understand (young super fit) athletes & sports teams like the All Blacks use them on long flights so they arrive in better condition & have quicker recovery.
    Of course reducing risk of DVT is added benefit.

Whoever looks after problem international flights having a busy day today

HKG-AKL returns to HKG overnight and AKL-SYD returned to AKL this morning

Not even Dreamliner ...the trusty 777s
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

SP been creeping up in the lead up to reporting this Thursday. Good sign that we're in for a solid result.

SP been creeping up in the lead up to reporting this Thursday. Good sign that we're in for a solid result.
    ....and a positive outlook

This year’s 2nd best year on record will be the 3rd best year on record this time next year eh
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    ....and a positive outlook

This year’s 2nd best year on record will be the 3rd best year on record this time next year eh
    Yeah I'm not worried about the rising oil price, makes the long skinny route to N.Z. far more marginal for other carriers and lessens competition.

Guy at Craigs says we need to get our head around "brand power" this year. There are those that have the brand power to put up prices to account for rising costs and those that don't. If AIR ever get all those fancy dream birds working properly again they'll be well positioned.

As usual Chris Luxon will gloss over the whole Dreamliner drama in the call on Thursday but I reckon they're really putting their claws into RR for mega compensation.
    Last edited by Beagle; 20-08-2018 at 09:37 AM.

Pretty good start to FY19 with July RPK's up 7.3%, $16m in the money with fuel hedges for the forthcoming year and about 70% of FY19's fuel hedged at good prices.
    9.1% gross dividend yield if they pay 22 cps in the year ahead.
    I hold.
    Last edited by Beagle; 20-08-2018 at 01:53 PM.

CEO, NZ Shareholders Association

Pretty good start to FY19 with July RPK's up 7.3%, $16m in the money with fuel hedges for the forthcoming year and about 70% of FY19's fuel hedged at good prices.
    9.1% gross dividend yield if they pay 22 cps in the year ahead.
    I hold.
    Yes, that hedging graph is a dream come true...nearly 3/4 of fuel needs hedged at a cap price well below market. Good bit of cost reduction there...
    Not sure its good news that they are running at 86% international capacity...in July. Does that imply further capex for 'expansion' of aircraft (not just replacement)? Good in the long-term though.

Also hold.