sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    http://nzx-prod-s7fsd7f98s.s3-websit...567/305887.pdf
    Revenue, average analyst expectation $5.76b, actual result $5.8b - meet expectations
    Operating Profit, average analyst expectation $365m actual result $374m - beat expectations
    Net Profit after tax , average analyst expectation $254m, actual result $270m - beat expectations
    FY20 outlook, average analyst expectation $420 operating profit, guidance $350m - $450m, mid point $400m - softer outlook
    Dividend maintained.

Net effect is neutral and I maintain my holding for dividend yield and am not expecting any break out of the recent trading range.
    And what a great yield it is Beagle...gross 11.2% at $2.72
    I think they can maintain it for several years and they keep referring to the ordianry dividend as sustainable which I think they believe.
    Add in the young fleet age and relatively lowm capex in the next 3-4 years and it is easy to see with their operating cash flow that a dividend cut is relatively unlikely and there is always the prospect of a special dividend at some stage as gearing falls back again.
    Agree, a breakout over $3 is unlikely but I'm a happy holder at these levels for the yield in a low rate world.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arbroath View Post
    I think they can maintain it for several years and they keep referring to the ordianry dividend as sustainable which I think they believe.
    Add in the young fleet age and relatively lowm capex in the next 3-4 years and it is easy to see with their operating cash flow that a dividend cut is relatively unlikely and there is always the prospect of a special dividend at some stage as gearing falls back again.
    Agree, a breakout over $3 is unlikely but I'm a happy holder at these levels for the yield in a low rate world.
    Agreed, and with the Govt (who ultimately controls all the levers) depending on those juicy dividends to continue, am happy to go along for the ride.

Yes it certainly is a fantastic yield in this era of interest rates at unchartered lifetime low's.
    In terms of its sustainability. A few thoughts. At the last conference call they noted they had only cut the dividend twice in the airlines history, after 9/11 and the GFC.
    Barring another one of those events or some similar sized exogenous shock I think there is a very high probability the dividend is sustainable for the foreseeable future.
    Average analyst view is actually for it to increase to 23 cps next year and 24 cps in FY21 https://www.marketscreener.com/AIR-N...07/financials/

As you note, capex for the next 4 years is very benign, mostly about $500m but FY21 under $400m and well below annual depreciation of $567m for FY19 and forecast depreciation of approx. $637m for FY20, (extra $70m expected next year, source, just completed conference call). Over the next 4 years based on my analysis annual average capex is approx. $160m less than depreciation so that gives an interesting insight into their ability to pay ongoing strong dividends in the medium term.

I tend to back out any immediate term dividend, (as partial return of capital invested) from forward yield calculations so my "look through" view on the yield at $2.72 taking a medium term investment view is $2.72 less the almost immediate return of 11 cents = $2.61 net investment for the medium term. 23 cents fully imputed for FY20 = 23 / 0.72 = 31.94 cps gross and on a net investment of $2.61 = 12.2% Gross yield. I am a very happy holder at that level and added more this morning.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Trust NBR to say this CEO pay up while staff dividend down.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

The captive domestic market and solid brand appeals to older kiwi's going overseas..if they can't pay the dividend the economy will be heading to hell and that will be an issue for all NZ asset classes.,

Agreed Raz. Travel almost a consumer staple now days.
    Interesting potential upside for AIR if JetStar pull the regional pin after years of losses. http://www.sharechat.co.nz/article/e...t-closely.html

Very solid result for QAN today. Winner, I reckon AIR are right to undertake some international benchmarking on their operations and if they have to employ outside consults to do so, so be it. Apparently Jayne Herdlicka has been rampant with using outside consultants this year and ATM are so successful that it must be back in vogue again eh
    Last edited by Beagle; 22-08-2019 at 04:37 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Advanced Member

Get ready for a drop holders, I just topped up to make it 5.57% of my portfolio.
    Personally I think the share price may correct higher, as the dividend % is to high.
    Yes, I agree, to simplistic.
    We’ll see I guess.
    And yes Beagle, more than 5%. It did neatly use my cash in DB tho.
    Last edited by RTM; 22-08-2019 at 04:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    Get ready for a drop holders, I just topped up to make it 5.57% of my portfolio.
    Personally I think the share price may correct higher, as the dividend % is to high.
    Yes, I agree, to simplistic.
    We’ll see I guess.
    And yes Beagle, more than 5%. It did neatly use my cash in DB tho.
    I tend to back out any immediate term dividend, (as partial return of capital invested) from forward yield calculations so my "look through" view on the yield at $2.72 taking a medium term investment view is $2.72 less the almost immediate return of 11 cents = $2.61 net investment for the medium term. 23 cents fully imputed for FY20 = 23 / 0.72 = 31.94 cps gross and on a net investment of $2.61 = 12.2% Gross yield. I am a very happy holder at that level and added more this morning.
    FWIW mate the above was a bit of an understatement as I didn't want to be accused of ramping, probably will be now LOL. I have backed my own analysis and tripled the size of my holding this morning. Yes, tripled, that's not a typo.

12.2% gross and being a dividend hound is like dangling a juicy bone in front of a Beagle, what's he going to do other than bite
    6.7% portfolio position now
    Now we have a decent holding we must remember to only use paper doggy bag's in the event of extreme turbulence as we wouldn't want to upset the greenie's and use plastic ones ! Seat belt firmly fastened and off we go... Slight concern with not knowing who the new chief pilot is yet but nothing ventured nothing gained...lets see how we go.

Conference call replay available here https://edge.media-server.com/mmc/p/gnvtv7ir
    Last edited by Beagle; 23-08-2019 at 06:09 PM.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    F
    6.7% portfolio position now
    No more buying Beagle...no more. Be a good dog.
    We have enough.

What annoys me most is I sold about the same number in 2017 @ 273 !

IMO

Heres Qantas results . EPS flat to down , shareprice up 1.4% to $5.86.Outlook mainly flat. Div 13 c (25c FY) DY 4.26%. No contest ehh
    Download Document 1.56MB