Champagne brunch though ....go nicely with the scallops
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

See it was more than $525m

Guidance just as good as Fletchers - both spot on

Default First Impressions

Quote Originally Posted by Fatboyj View Post
    Popcorn for breakfast.
    I'm having egg on face for breakfast today....I'll be busy cleaning my face and fur for hours with my profit prediction the other day.
    First impressions is I am disappointed with the result but it is pleasing to see they are confident regarding their outlook for FY18 for an improvement on this years result.
    https://www.nzx.com/files/attachments/264094.pdf
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

I dont hold any shares in this, but at first glance across it I am quite heartened to see that they are paying a bonus to staff that dont have a bonus as part of their employment agreement. Happy well treated staff will always help towards a well performing company in my opinion. Still, the fat cats at the top get all the cream as usual I'm sure.

Agreed - slightly disappointing at first as was hoping to further exceed the $525m but promising outlook which is key. Hopefully they have absorbed costs in advance for FY17 to give them a good take off into FY18.

Anyone care to share their share price expectations given the update?
    Last edited by TheHunter; 23-08-2017 at 07:58 AM.

quote - the airline is aiming to improve upon 2017 earnings.

On current forecasting record that means operating earnings of $535m - 2nd best in history

Result underwhelming to say the least

So that's the excitment gone for a few more months

At least another cent on the divie

They do talk about seeing FY17 as being a sustainable earnings base for future growth so obviously they see this second highest profit in the airlines 77 year history as something that's buildable upon, sort of a low in the cycle due to the intensity of competition...On a real quick look it looks like this is pretty much bang on the money with average analyst expectations and average analyst expectations for FY18 are for ~ $550m before tax.

I think I got caught with the adverse FX movement which cost them ~ $100m this year. I see they're really well hedged on oil and FX going into FY18.

As you say Winner at least they tossed us a small bone with an increase in the final divvy. 21 cps fully imputed gives 29.17 cps gross which is an 8.58% gross yield plus expected specials in due course. Very pleased to see their gearing at 51.8%, (down from 55.9% at the half year point) coming down towards the middle of their 45-55% range. Looking forward to special dividends starting potentially in FY20.

We should be very pleased with a total shareholder return this year of 88% and the second highest profit in 77 years despite 10 new carriers entering the market.
    Demonstrates the strength of their business model in a challenging competitor environment.
    Last edited by Beagle; 23-08-2017 at 08:32 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Investor

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Result underwhelming to say the least

So that's the excitment gone for a few more months

At least another cent on the divie
    Don't beat yourself winner, its pretty decent result overall, just that market might've got ahead of itself a little bit with airlines industry worldwide doing well.

Outside thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post

We should be very pleased with a total shareholder return this year of 88% and the second highest profit in 77 years despite 10 new carriers entering the market. Demonstrates the strength of their business model in a challenging competitor environment.
    Well said..... good luck to holders.