sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

http://www.sharechat.co.nz/article/6...s-dividendhtml

Extract - "This year Air New Zealand faced an unprecedented increase in the level of competition from some of the world’s largest airlines and effectively rose to the challenge," said chief executive Christopher Luxon.*
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Extract - "This year Air New Zealand faced an unprecedented increase in the level of competition from some of the world’s largest airlines and effectively rose to the challenge," said chief executive Christopher Luxon.*
    He would say that though - wouldn't he.

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    He would say that though - wouldn't he.
    I think its fair comment. Fact is there was quite a dramatic change in the competitive environment between 2016 and 2017.
    Some CEO's talk "creative corporate speak", Luxon isn't one of them in my opinion.
    Last edited by Beagle; 23-08-2017 at 10:13 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

that spike lower the other week was good buying in hindsight
    one step ahead of the herd

Guru

Anecdotes off course, but came back on NZ281 from Singapore a few week ago and to my pleasant surprise plenty of empty seats which afforded my partner and I the skycouch. She slept a lot of the journey, I hassled other passengers and did some exercise. But again 2 trips now, 1 to Shanghai and 1 from Singapore where they are not selling out the plane. Probably not a concern but is this the extra competition eating away? Empty seats are a worry for an airliner as costs tend to be pretty fixed per flight and every extra seat sold is pretty much profit on top is it not.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheHunter View Post
    Agreed - slightly disappointing at first as was hoping to further exceed the $525m but promising outlook which is key. Hopefully they have absorbed costs in advance for FY17 to give them a good take off into FY18.

Anyone care to share their share price expectations given the update?
    My simplisitic way of looking at it.
    21 cents Divi per year:
    @ $3.40 = 6.2%
    @ $3.00 = 7%
    @ $2.5 = 8.4 %
    Yes...I know the imputation thing comes in as well.
    Wouldn't be surprised to see it head down somewhere between $2.5 and $3.00.

@

Concluding remarks by Chris Luxon on the call "We are very proud of the results and onwards and upwards"
    General tone of the conference call was very positive for FY18.
    Shares trade cum a 11 cent divvy at $3.30 at time of posting. Looking ahead on an theoretical ex divvy price of ($3.30 - $0.11) = $3.19 and assuming a 22 cent fully imputed dividend for FY18 22/0.72 = 30.55 cps gross the shares trade on a prospective yield of 30.55 / 319 = 9.58% plus specials in due course as their capex program draws to its conclusion. Happy to hold long term for that sort of attractive yield and happy that management are doing a good job.

http://www.sharechat.co.nz/article/f...s-dividendhtml

Currently trading on a trailing PE of 10, (ten year average is 11) and outlook is positive.
    Last edited by Beagle; 23-08-2017 at 11:08 AM.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Concluding remarks by Chris Luxon on the call "We are very proud of the results and onwards and upwards"
    General tone of the conference call was very positive for FY18.
    Shares trade cum a 11 cent divvy at $3.30 at time of posting. Looking ahead on an theoretical ex divvy price of ($3.30 - $0.11) = $3.19 and assuming a 22 cent fully imputed dividend for FY18 22/0.72 = 30.55 cps gross the shares trade on a prospective yield of 30.55 / 319 = 9.58% plus specials in due course as their capex program draws to its conclusion. Happy to hold long term for that sort of attractive yield and happy that management are doing a good job.

Regarding my optimistic forecast last week, after egg on face for breakfast I am looking forward to humble pie for lunch and dinner lol
    Roger don't beat yourself up over a bit of "overexuberance" . You have had the call right around solid earnings and the overall trend .

Hi, I got a stupid newbie question. If I buy it now can I get the dividend on the paid day at 18 Sep ?

Quote Originally Posted by kelfy View Post
    Hi, I got a stupid newbie question. If I buy it now can I get the dividend on the paid day at 18 Sep ?
    Yes you can - if you are holding shares on the record date you receive the dividend.
    Last edited by TheHunter; 23-08-2017 at 11:52 AM.