sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raz View Post
    A number of airlines certainly have a strategy of having both main suppliers, Airbus and Boeing.

I'm sure this is more than an engine issue from what has been explained to me. It is an interrelated problem which is still dynamic as they gain more information of the composite of the plane heating up over repeated flights and therefore over it fuselage life. The weight gain, stress effects the engines and other parts of the planes systems. It all new, no previous experience given the composite of the plane is new.

I do wonder if it is economies of scale that made AIR just go just the one supplier way. Not proven to be a great risk management strategy regardless.
    I am not aware of any serious concerns over the fuselage of these new fangled plastic planes.
    However there always exists the possibility/probability that some problem will emerge in the future.

Rolls-Royce recently (a few months ago) concluded that their fix for the blade longevity problem did not last that long and are reworking it.

Here is an interesting link with regard to an ongoing engine issue:
    https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...ade-en-462404/
    om mani peme hum

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar
    om mani peme hum

Great how they are experimenting with parts in the Trent 1000 engine through trial and error isn't it.
    But Houston we have a problem, as I once watched a RR video that said there were 30,000 individual parts in those engines...that's a lot of potential trial and error

But no worries because on CNBC the other day they said RR are picking up the tab for all costs with this latest aspect of this long running fiasco.
    I see RR provisioning is now up to a whopping 2.4 Billion pounds and I sure hope AIR are going to get their fair share of that compensation
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...ems-hits-24bn/
    Last edited by Beagle; 20-11-2019 at 02:34 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.”
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Great how they are experimenting with parts in the Trent 1000 engine through trial and error isn't it.
    But Houston we have a problem, as I once watched a RR video that said there were 30,000 individual parts in those engines...that's a lot of potential trial and error

But no worries because on CNBC the other day they said RR are picking up the tab for all costs with this latest aspect of this long running fiasco.
    I see RR provisioning is now up to a whopping 2.4 Billion pounds and I sure hope AIR are going to get their fair share of that compensation
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...ems-hits-24bn/

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/117...rious#comments

"The news that a permanent fix for the engines would not be available until 2021 would be a blow for the airline, she said."

Quote Originally Posted by Raz View Post
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/117...rious#comments

"The news that a permanent fix for the engines would not be available until 2021 would be a blow for the airline, she said."
    The Trent 1000 is turning into the current RR management's RB211...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolls-..._and_aftermath

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    I thought the TENs were going to fix the TRENT problem?

Betcha there’s other problems with these Dreamliners - once a lemon always a lemon
    One wonders if its ever going to end ? https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/ind...?rm=m#comments
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.”
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Hunting for Heuristic trends

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Leopard View Post
    I am not aware of any serious concerns over the fuselage of these new fangled plastic planes.
    However there always exists the possibility/probability that some problem will emerge in the future.

Rolls-Royce recently (a few months ago) concluded that their fix for the blade longevity problem did not last that long and are reworking it.

Here is an interesting link with regard to an ongoing engine issue:
    https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...ade-en-462404/
    An interesting item has quietly emerged for road racing bicycles made of carbon fiber. Professional Tour deFrance level cyclists can apply above average stress loading to their cycles (rough road conditions, frame flexing, high speed judders, oscillations, resonance etc). The frames have been examined and found to have developed microscopic fracture lines not visible to the eye but detectable with ultrasonic tools used for testing pipes in the steel industry. Carbon fiber sheet is composed of millions of very thin threads "bonded" into place with epoxy resin. Individual fibers can break and/or de-laminate over time. Both of these materials are technically "inert" and as such ideal for manufacturing items that wont "rust", but oxidization is just one element of industrial processes, chemical bonding and slow degradation of certain chemical elements over time is normal. Carbon fiber is flexible when in sheet form, the glue "epoxy" is the "solid" part of the process, epoxy breaks down over time and will develop micro fractures when repeatedly exposed to stresses such a when used to connect/interface to metallic components. The micro fractures are normally not a concern due to the combined flexibility and high number of carbon fibers in the sheet, unless the cycle is used for more than 4 years...

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by arc View Post
    An interesting item has quietly emerged for road racing bicycles made of carbon fiber. Professional Tour deFrance level cyclists can apply above average stress loading to their cycles (rough road conditions, frame flexing, high speed judders, oscillations, resonance etc). The frames have been examined and found to have developed microscopic fracture lines not visible to the eye but detectable with ultrasonic tools used for testing pipes in the steel industry. Carbon fiber sheet is composed of millions of very thin threads "bonded" into place with epoxy resin. Individual fibers can break and/or de-laminate over time. Both of these materials are technically "inert" and as such ideal for manufacturing items that wont "rust", but oxidization is just one element of industrial processes, chemical bonding and slow degradation of certain chemical elements over time is normal. Carbon fiber is flexible when in sheet form, the glue "epoxy" is the "solid" part of the process, epoxy breaks down over time and will develop micro fractures when repeatedly exposed to stresses such a when used to connect/interface to metallic components. The micro fractures are normally not a concern due to the combined flexibility and high number of carbon fibers in the sheet, unless the cycle is used for more than 4 years...
    My carbon bike is 7 years ....Presumably it would be how much use it has actually had and the type of use . NZ chips roads not the best ?

Hunting for Heuristic trends

Quote Originally Posted by stoploss View Post
    My carbon bike is 7 years ....Presumably it would be how much use it has actually had and the type of use . NZ chips roads not the best ?
    Mine is about the same. I dont quite reach the tour defrance level of energy... by a country mile.
    The early versions had carbon to metal joints and I know they definitely had problems. Im hoping that they have found very effective ways to mitigate the joining effect, as modern aircraft have carbon wings...

AIR social media team asked ‘what’s your dream view from the window seat.’

I responded - allowing punters to actually see out the windows (blinds up / tinting off)

Best response was:

Dream view?
    A banner saying all further flights suspended until your aircraft can carry us without further damage to the earth's climate.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”