sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    .....must be going into politics after all.
    Parachuted into Botany seat, next leader of Nat after J.C. 2024 PM. JMHO

Go The Warriors "This Year!"

Pity we no longer have his biggest fan on the forum...
    Oh well Rodger you may as well sell those shares... All down hill from here without your trusty can do no wrong Christopher at the control stick!

Quote Originally Posted by stoploss View Post
    Luxon gone ..,,
    I was told this plus something else was to happen a couple of weeks ago...as the CEO and where the company is at nice timing to leave...

I think Tony (Chair) is also turning over this year..so some transition alright at the top.
    Last edited by Raz; 19-06-2019 at 10:16 PM.

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

This is excellent timing, I will be contractually unrestrained from mid-August.

So not only could I takeover CEO-ing the airline during it's next difficult phase straight away but I could turn up early and make sure he does not steal too many lollies as he goes out the door.

Will send my CV in within the hour.
    om mani peme hum

imagine the shares will have a tank on this news. another leader who did a great job
    one step ahead of the herd

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    imagine the shares will have a tank on this news. another leader who did a great job
    Just a thought: maybe JK brokered this and he’s off to
    the other ANZ
    HAwaii house thrown as a sweetener

Advanced Member

ADMIN: AIR: Air New Zealand CEO Christopher Luxon to resign

Air New Zealand Chief Executive Officer Christopher Luxon has resigned this
    evening and will step down from day to day leadership of the airline on
    September 25.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Lola View Post
    Just a thought: maybe JK brokered this and he’s off to
    the other ANZ
    HAwaii house thrown as a sweetener

That crossed my mind as well. Has a non banker ever got a CEO job with a bank? Or should that not matter?

Quote Originally Posted by 777 View Post
    That crossed my mind as well. Has a non banker ever got a CEO job with a bank? Or should that not matter?
    @franosullivan
    Air NZ's Christopher Luxon holding forth over breakfast this am on the bold and provocative agenda the PM's Business Advisory Council (which he chairs) has been developing. Should we read anything into that former National PM Sir John Key was in the front row?
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Luxon leaving is a bit of a loss. I'm not sure that I was particularly a fan of his but he was a good reliable safe pair of hands. I was hoping for more information about replacement and handover but I guess the process of finding a replacement starts now (if it hadn't already started).

I do feel that he let things slide to some degree. Constantly cutting until something gives, and that was Air NZ's reputation, culminating in the Luxon apology tour in Sept 2018: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...w-zealand.html. Some of those things were out of his control (fuel pipeline, RR engine) but some should've been foreseen and rectified sooner (growth in lounge demand, contact centre delays). Airlines are a fickle business and it's much harder to gain customers than it is to not lose them in the first place.

He did produce solid reliable financial results, grow the airline, and made some good growth decisions along the way (Buenos Aires, Houston, Chicago) as well as some less good (Vietnam and Phillipines). I see him as consolidating after the transformative Fyfe era rather than bringing much new. Useful work but not exciting.

People are touting him as a new John Key, but re-reading my description above I'd see him as more Bill English than John Key. Safe. Reliable. Cost-cutting. I may be totally off the mark here though as I haven't followed him that closely (despite feeling the need to write several paragraphs here about his AIR career).

Also, did someone mention about that Roger has gone? That is also a bit of a loss too. I'll probably miss him more than I will miss CL.