Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

And I paid about $2400 for a flight in August 2000
    Seems like the price has been about thew same for yonks

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    That $57,000 was $16,000 in money of the day

About $7000/$8000 same trip today

Shows you why so many fly these days and tourism is booming

Mind you only about $1,000 (often less) if you want to rough it
    Not even if they paid me $1,000. You make a good point. In today's dollars on a quality airline you can get business class return for about $7-8K so in inflation adjusted terms people paying $57,000 for the same thing in the 1980's $114,000 for a couple return...basically only the rich could afford to travel business or first class back then.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Airline emissions - NZ as a country one of the worst

When you see the likes of Finland and Iceland being worse than us it seems the impacts of tourism are immense.

NZers do a relativity fair bit of domestic air travel as well

But as long as AIR keep churning out big divies this just interesting

https://theicct.org/blog/staff/not-e...f-aviation-CO2
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    And I paid about $2400 for a flight in August 2000
    Seems like the price has been about thew same for yonks
    My grandmother paid $2500 for a return flight Europe in 1984. So the price has been the same for ever.

Only thing was in 1984 a litre of milk cost 39 cents, my dad was bringing home about $140pw in pay and so yes air travel has become very very cheap.

Back in the 80's economy passengers were paying more to fly than our first class flight fares today.

Travel was for the wealthy only, or you needed to save a long time to go on flights.

For those complaining about "cattle class" today, well just fork out the extra $ for business class and you are still better off than your peers from 30 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by stoploss View Post
    Wonder how much they have sold the LHR 1 landing spot for or if they have leased it out ? Think these prime spots worth something like 20 mio quid.
    They are going to announce that in the next few days apparently. Hopefully we will also hear what they’re doing with the other slot which they leased to Cathay.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    My grandmother paid $2500 for a return flight Europe in 1984. So the price has been the same for ever.

Only thing was in 1984 a litre of milk cost 39 cents, my dad was bringing home about $140pw in pay and so yes air travel has become very very cheap.

Back in the 80's economy passengers were paying more to fly than our first class flight fares today.

Travel was for the wealthy only, or you needed to save a long time to go on flights.

For those complaining about "cattle class" today, well just fork out the extra $ for business class and you are still better off than your peers from 30 years ago.
    Well said and hits the nail directly on the head.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Go The Warriors "This Year!"

Quote Originally Posted by biker View Post
    They are going to announce that in the next few days apparently. Hopefully we will also hear what they’re doing with the other slot which they leased to Cathay.
    If I recall that correctly it was sold to Cathay a number of years ago.
    From my understanding these rights maybe leased to another airline for a period of time however if they are not used by the owner airline in this case AIR within a certain timeframe they most be sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny1 View Post
    If I recall that correctly it was sold to Cathay a number of years ago.
    From my understanding these rights maybe leased to another airline for a period of time however if they are not used by the owner airline in this case AIR within a certain timeframe they most be sold.
    The only thing amazing about the cut re the flight London to LAX has how long it has taken... Hotels at last when the cycle is heading the wrong way..

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/116...-in-full-swing

The Sky fire will be a big hit also for Auckland mid-term conference market and as everyone knows Queenstown had a horrible winter trade...tourism is in correction mode...

And this PR ....

https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/kiwi-...elative-breeze

My worst experience of delays in my entire life all have been at Newark. Not as large yet something go wrong you will sit in the plane waiting to take off for hours...
    Last edited by Raz; 25-10-2019 at 07:41 AM.

I have heard stories from someone who is based in New Jersey and uses Newark all the time -flying domestically - delays all the time - I suppose as you say Raz , something goes wrong, then you lose you "spot" and have to wait who knows how long - may be a fact of life with it being one of the busiest airports??

Go The Warriors "This Year!"

Yep. Probably is.. Also delays in winter due to weather can be huge..
    I'd expect a few disrupts with flights diverted and with only 3 flights a week it will be a massive headache trying to accommodate disrupted passengers on other flights.
    I'd expect recovery of those pax would be via a domestic flight to Houston or Lax or SFO ...hey that's what they do now!