sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

beagle - 2012 was a bit better profit wise but was affected by the residual impact of natural disasters and uncertain global economy. ….profit up from $75m to $91m
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

beagle and 2010 was a disappointing year “The uncertainty surrounding the global economic recovery has continued to suppress demand for air travel over the past 12 months,”

Note - uncertainty seems to linger a while after a major event
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    beagle and 2010 was a disappointing year “The uncertainty surrounding the global economic recovery has continued to suppress demand for air travel over the past 12 months,”

Note - uncertainty seems to linger a while after a major event
    Thanks for raising the subject, Interesting isn't it.
    https://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/natio...cid=spartandhp
    Excerpt "Any bum on a seat is better than no bum at all and even if it's only paid $19 to go somewhere, at least you're getting cash in."
    Looks like they're proactively trying to manage their cash flow already. Safe to fly to Europe, especially Italy,...really ?
    Last edited by Beagle; 24-02-2020 at 07:07 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.”
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Membaa

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Yep made money through the GFC but struggled post GFC -- did it tke a while to get over things? or was that when oil went balliatic?

But whatever this is going to be the worst year for zonks for AIR ...and not worthy of lofty share price
    What about the time proven law of 'respect market sentiment'. When you have a proven SP volatile cyclical that enters into a confirmed down trend, even finding exact! 'technical' supports seemingly out of the blue, with a backdrop of proven macro and local economic headwinds, you'd have to ask yourself "why have I no respect" by holding and hoping? Is the dividend (at risk) worth it?

This is a weekly price chart, every 'candle' is a whole week. The top was in a long time ago, now it's in breakdown. Whoa, look at that, closing exactly on a technical uptrend line. Reckon that support will hold and it'll be peaches and cream from now on? Hold if you do. The chart says wait until tomorrow if you're not already out on the sidelines.

Unless you have a forever timeline and wouldn't mind too much whether AIR stopped paying dividends or how decimated your capital investment might get, it'll come right one day and those $3-3.8+ SP glory days will return. No worries. If you are sensitive to capital losses and concerned about ability to pay dividends under stress, what are you going to do about it?

Doing nothing is an option for sure, just not an option I would choose. Sometimes TA trumps FA, it reads the market sentiment. The sentiment is really bad at the moment. Combined with the emerging FA, this isn't a happy place but it's not too late to lock in gains. Re-entries will come in time.

A little bit of turbulence presents itself as a buying opportunity for this value investor. Gearing of the company is not bad, liquidity is at the companies own top range at $1.1b (range of $700m-$1b).

Perhaps kicking the can further down the road has been a bit of a blessing in disguise for the company in terms of fleet improvements. I'm sure this new CEO will have some ideas on the cost cutting side.

Will be backing up the truck in the low 2s if the opportunity presents itself. I don't see the affects being prolonged, the media hasn't really shown the full picture of the virus but their job is to sell clicks (more so now as people don't pay for newspapers anymore).

shareclarity (fwiw, not very much?) provided their DCF valuation of AIR today , at $2.46
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ratkin View Post
    Right that it is, a flight to Spain at the start of the NZ winter sounds very appealing, do those cheap ones give any kind of refund if you sick and can't go?
    Love Tarragona it is one of my favourite places. Some of the best Roman ruins anywhere, better than most of those in Italy

Edit

Best I can find for May is 1500 and that is from Auckland, and have to stop in AUS it takes a whopping 34 hours, that is me out
    Gracias for the Tarragona tip, but only got time for a drink between trains this year .
    om mani peme hum

Some American airlines down around 10% overnight Won't take long to get to $2 in my opinion.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.”
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

original target of trade was met, but have moved stops lower and target lower as well.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Some American airlines down around 10% overnight Won't take long to get to $2 in my opinion.
    Possibly not, but AIR have a stronger proposition and financial position than many of those US airlines.

Still have domestic NZ customers to gouge.....