sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Engine problems, crude oil prices going beserk. Now I remember why airlines are valued how they are!

AIR will do well to come out of all of this unscathed considering all the stuff that has happened this year. Its a testament to the company but says a lot about investing in airlines on a broader scale. Some things are just far out of your control.

Thousands of AIRpassengers affected

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/ind...-engine-issues

As the House of Travel man says ...."Unfortunately they always take longer than you hope."
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

No way to sugar coat this, AIR shareholders should ensure their seat belts are firmly fastened, seat back's upright and tray tables folded away. Depends how many cracked and delaminating turbine blades they find in all the 787's they inspect this week...think I might avoid use of the word "Dream"liner for a while.
    Rolls Royce need to get their **** together, plain and simple. I think AIR's general counsel will be hounding RR for all costs and compensation they can point a stick at.
    Wonder if they need a good contract forensic beancounting hound to sniff out all possible avenues of compensation...I'd be up for that role with a huge amount of gusto.., but alas they probably have it covered already, hence the no change to upbeat forecast statement.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=12034082
    Last edited by Beagle; 18-04-2018 at 05:21 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by value_investor View Post
    Engine problems, crude oil prices going beserk. Now I remember why airlines are valued how they are!

AIR will do well to come out of all of this unscathed considering all the stuff that has happened this year. Its a testament to the company but says a lot about investing in airlines on a broader scale. Some things are just far out of your control.

rising oil will bite soon in there results
    one step ahead of the herd

Yields and fuel prices are inextricably linked. I think this is the least of their problems.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Does anyone have any knowledge as to what engine it was that blew up on that US SouthWest plane where that woman got killed.
    Sorry if this is completely irrelevant to Air NZ but all the talk about engines on this thread and then this happening made me wonder and I couldnt see any mention of the engine type in the news

Guru

Different engines.

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
    Does anyone have any knowledge as to what engine it was that blew up on that US SouthWest plane where that woman got killed.
    Sorry if this is completely irrelevant to Air NZ but all the talk about engines on this thread and then this happening made me wonder and I couldnt see any mention of the engine type in the news
    French/US engines

Interesting article

http://www.straitstimes.com/world/ai...hwest-incident
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

thanks for clarifying that accident is completely un related to the types of engines used by Air NZ.

percy

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
    thanks for clarifying that accident is completely un related to the types of engines used by Air NZ.
    Reassuring knowing any aircraft engine can explode.?