sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

I presume all flights in and out of Auckland will be grounded tomorrow ? Wonder what precautions there will be for other domestic flights ?
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    I presume all flights in and out of Auckland will be grounded tomorrow ? Wonder what precautions there will be for other domestic flights ?
    I have a relative travelling into Auckland, before they move up the levels, this morning. I don't believe any flights are flying after that

Dilettante

I’m at Auckland Airport (domestic). All normal here until midday

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I’m at Auckland Airport (domestic). All normal here until midday
    Would have been end of the world if you were held in captivity in Auckland for a few more days eh

Bon voyage
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Have been notified that other flights are now delayed or cancelled, due to aircraft repositioning issues. This will have a massive flow-on effect, and I pity the airline staff having to deal with this mess this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn Munroe View Post
    My beef against Cullen Airlines is the existence of the Cullen Put.

In other words if things go well shareholders get to quaff champagne and swing from the chandeliers if things turn horrid taxpayers have to front up with their hard earned cash.

There have already been calls on the Cullen Put and and in all likelihood there will be more in the future.

It is time ordinary Kiwi jokers who have to pay for this by stacking supermarket shelves or milking cows told the sacred cow, Cullen Airlines, next time you are on your own mate.

Boop boop de do
    Marilyn
    The largest of those shareholders is the taxpayer (NZ Government) and it has quaffed quite a lot of champagne out of their original bailout. Even the billion dollars (of loans, with interest, that come with terms that prohibit any shareholders quaffing anything while the loan facility exists) that is being chipped in now is easily dwarfed by the dividends and capital gains the government has gained from the bailout. The government has a vested interest in preventing it going bust because as 51% owner, they stand to lose a lot of money if that happens.

So no, I don't buy your claim that it's anything to do with the commercial relationship between AIR and the Government. The fact you insist on calling it "Cullen Airlines" (and Qantas "Queer and Nasty" which is actually plain offensive) certainly belies your personal hatred of the company. Did Rob Fyfe run over your dog or something?

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by kyanar View Post
    The largest of those shareholders is the taxpayer (NZ Government) and it has quaffed quite a lot of champagne out of their original bailout. Even the billion dollars (of loans, with interest, that come with terms that prohibit any shareholders quaffing anything while the loan facility exists) that is being chipped in now is easily dwarfed by the dividends and capital gains the government has gained from the bailout. The government has a vested interest in preventing it going bust because as 51% owner, they stand to lose a lot of money if that happens.

So no, I don't buy your claim that it's anything to do with the commercial relationship between AIR and the Government. The fact you insist on calling it "Cullen Airlines" (and Qantas "Queer and Nasty" which is actually plain offensive) certainly belies your personal hatred of the company. Did Rob Fyfe run over your dog or something?

Something ran over my foot though when I tried to hastily exit when things previously hit the fan a few months back with AIR .. should I like them any better now ?

My turn to express astonishment at Air NZ's share price... it hasn't changed from a week ago!

As I have stated here, the domestic business was just starting to thrive and this would have been enough to sustain the company until a vaccine arrives so long as the virus didn't re-emerge.

I am confident the country will get on top of this latest cluster and run it into the ground. Air NZ also has plenty of reserves (and the government loan) to survive the short term effects. Its the medium term effect on confidence and people's propensity to travel for the rest of year which will hammer Air NZ.

The hoteliers know...

New Zealand Hotel Owners Association executive director Amy Robens said the latest impacts on the struggling sector were “beyond grim” and the ongoing repercussions seemingly endless.

“Any extension to the current lockdown status will see the moderate level of business hotels are experiencing wash completely. We are at the end of the road,” Robens warned. - Virus resurgence a step too far for hoteliers
    Glad you took the weekend off and enjoyed life a bit while you could Beagle. Life can continue on with social distancing and masks but it isn't as much fun.
    Last edited by Jaa; 13-08-2020 at 06:29 PM.

the reddish-eye from new plymouth to wellington last tuesday wasn't as full as normal, and it was fairly cheap...
    had a meeting with a colleague from auckland yesterday, via zoom, he was stuck in auckland airport....
    air-nz seems like a stock to trade or ignore, not a stock to buy and hold

Guru

here in the central north island you would not have even know there was a level 2 today and as for social distancing there was plenty of parties last night in hamilton central. Air fare credit Money from air arriving back from flight bookings at last in bank accounts. A member from the hamilton city council said to me that hand sanitizer in council buildings had almost disappeared until she reminded management teams. this little leak should actually help the population realise that need to improve behaviours as the crazy drivers also in this area showed that many people simple did not understand the seriousness of the situation.
    Last edited by Waltzing; 13-08-2020 at 07:07 PM.