sharetrader
Page 106 of 2019 FirstFirst ... 656961021031041051061071081091101161562066061106 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,060 of 20182

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Quote Originally Posted by baller18 View Post
    Yup such a competitive industry, in which really no airline company which has a competitive edge over the other company, which is why Mr. Buffett never invests in airline companies!! There ain't no moat!!
    Warren Buffett did invest in USAir many years ago via some preferred stock or convertible bond ... I think he got out at roughly breakeven thans to a big coupon on the debt ... So "NEVER" is not strictly true.

Disc: Hold 8,500 AIR NZ

giday to continue ballers thread ...and call me old fashioned...but I heard yonks ago that every airline (other than those govt owned i.e. emirates,singapore,areoflot et al) go broke.

push up and sell..., good strategy the govt haha

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by golden city View Post
    push up and sell..., good strategy the govt haha
    And how did they do that?

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerHamilton View Post
    Warren Buffett did invest in USAir many years ago via some preferred stock or convertible bond ... I think he got out at roughly breakeven thans to a big coupon on the debt ... So "NEVER" is not strictly true.

Disc: Hold 8,500 AIR NZ
    He prob did, and he prob quoted he would never again maybe? lol

Quote Originally Posted by black knat View Post
    Well it certainly is doom and gloom in here.... I bought a reasonible parcel in the placement at what I thought was a fair price ...so I am very happy. What was a good investment yeaterday at 1.65 is not a bad investment today at a cheaper price. seems to be alot of haha I told you so type comments - but lets see how things pan out in a years time.
    Earlier this year when SKT did a placement (infact, the majority holder completely sold out if I recall correctly) the price dropped below the placement price and recovered a few days later.

Lets see what happens...

Makes perfect sense to me STC

Thank you for posting

Guru

Thanks Sparky - Not that I have followed the Freelancer IPO but I noticed that they appeared to select the institutions that would get shares and gave the other institutions nothing. Not necessarily a 'fair' way to do it but the Govt/Treasury should have had an indication from the previous 2 floats which instos were supporting the floats and which were just stagging it.

It does seem that they were focused on just getting the highest price, wheras they probably could have been a bit more tricky and still got the same result.

Guru

Thanks Sparky - Not that I have followed the Freelancer IPO but I noticed that they appeared to select the institutions that would get shares and gave the other institutions nothing. Not necessarily a 'fair' way to do it but the Govt/Treasury should have had an indication from the previous 2 floats which instos were supporting the floats and which were just stagging it.

It does seem that they were focused on just getting the highest price, wheras they probably could have been a bit more tricky and still got the same result.

Quote Originally Posted by SparkyTheClown View Post

In the words of Gaynor, Treasury weren't particularly interested in hearing advice from others.
    Good to hear from you, STC.

Reaffirms everything about Treasury which I have had experience with and heard about.

Really, Treasury are a bunch of pimpled faced kids let loose with the country's economic destiny and applying an efficient free market 'tried and failed' philosophy on everything.

I still remember one of the top NZ companies locating one of its plants (employing over 200 people) in Australia after Treasury advised the government that NZ government should not match the miserable $15m R&D funding promised by the Queensland government. Instead the idiots in there were busy recommending cutting back on government services and we saw one of the consequences with the Pike River tragedy.

One of the overseas bankers I met some years ago said she was horrified to meet the sort of staff at Treasury who are 'wet behind the ears' making policy decisions.

Arrogant and ignorant - that's how she summed them up.

Dangerous combination!