sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

When Z starting selling vegan pies they were ‘embarrased’ when it was revealed that they included an ingredient that was basically ground up poultry feathers
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Cullen Airlines and AIA are sniping at one another over landing charges before the Transport and Infrastructure Select Committee.

Of course Cullen Airlines could use the alternative of more international routes via the Peoples Republic of Christchurch airport, feeding lower North Island travelers through there to bolster bums on seats.

Or is Cullen Airlines top managements vision limited to the Waitemata and the Sky Tower they can see out their office window?

Boop boop de do
    Marilyn
    Diamonds are a girls best friend.

Veteran novice

Synthetic meat burgers are AIR's contribution to offset all those nasty fumes emitted from their aircraft!

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/2.../#473f20276aa9
    Hmmm FDA disapproves of one of the key ingredients. Thankfully nobody has a gun to your head making you be the Guinea Pig and eat this experiment. Good luck Raz
    Not sure this is an AIR discussion, but given that some posters here seem to promote the consumption of unhealthy carcinogenic red meat including hormones and antibiotics over the consumption of plant materials ... I think it would be fair to say that the FDA didn't approve to eat the meat either (and didn't had to - same thing as with the impossible burger).

I really think we should take this discussion out of this thread ... and try to stay objective independent from personal diet habits. While I personally enjoy as well from time to time to eat a good steak, am I aware of the risks of eating (particularly red) meat. No reason to assume that the impossible burger carries more health risks than the meat ...

Good luck to all meat eaters ;
    Last edited by BlackPeter; 05-07-2018 at 03:16 PM. Reason: clarification
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Fair enough BP, lets get back to discussing AIR's record forthcoming profit

http://www.sharechat.co.nz/article/f...cket-costshtml
    Last edited by Beagle; 05-07-2018 at 04:29 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Can someone please help me on these questions about the link between the oil price and share price of Air NZ?

July 6th 2017 the sp was $3.41 and today it is $316.5 vs Jet Fuel price was about $53/barrel(2017 July) and now about $85 now.

I am aware AIR NZ does fuel hedging but does it have a direct link to profitability? as the oil price is unpredictable...and how does the sp react negtively despite the airline performing stupendously in terms of increasing passenger numbers both YTD and MTD.In short does the oil price have such impact?

http://www.iata.org/publications/eco...ges/index.aspx

https://www.investopedia.com/article...gainst-oil.asp

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    ...and plenty of pretty reasonably comfortable seats outside for the plebs .....and nice and quiet as well
    Actually I was thinking Christchurch domestic general seating area looked pretty alright too. The other benefits outside of lounge access with frequent flyer or Koru are pretty hard to ignore though.

That article in the papers recently about how AIR's lounge access is not as exclusive as it once was certainly has me thinking though. A week or two ago I had to fly with a few hours notice on Samoa Airways, their business class wasn't too bad, nice meal, decent seats (no entertainment but I always have my laptop so no issue there) and it came with a strata club lounge pass, only half a dozen people in there and although the food selection wasn't as good the peace and quiet did cause me to wonder a bit.....

Quote Originally Posted by carrom74 View Post
    Can someone please help me on these questions about the link between the oil price and share price of Air NZ?

July 6th 2017 the sp was $3.41 and today it is $316.5 vs Jet Fuel price was about $53/barrel(2017 July) and now about $85 now.

I am aware AIR NZ does fuel hedging but does it have a direct link to profitability? as the oil price is unpredictable...and how does the sp react negtively despite the airline performing stupendously in terms of increasing passenger numbers both YTD and MTD.In short does the oil price have such impact?

http://www.iata.org/publications/eco...ges/index.aspx

https://www.investopedia.com/article...gainst-oil.asp
    Beagle says fuel prices and yield are inextricably linked. I agree with him

Simply put fares tend to rise as fuel prices rise. And the hedging gives some time to puch through the fare increases.

But fuel isn't anything and if they can fly more passengers etc without spending that more more (other than fuel) all the better. Things change a bit if fuel raeches say US$100

Share price generally driven by sentiment rather than actual earnings performance so share price movements are impacted by both.

Somebody (probably my mate Hoop) once posted a chart of AIR share price v fuel ....wasn't much of a correlation at all

T

Carrom -- this is interesting

https://crucialperspective.com/risin...irline-stocks/

Even though it says

INVESTORS TEND TO AVOID AIRLINE STOCKS WHEN OIL PRICES RISE – NEARLY 90% OF THE ASIA PACIFIC AIRLINE STOCKS HAVE HISTORICALLY BEEN NEGATIVELY CORRELATED WITH SPOT JET FUEL PRICES

it also says

AUSTRALIA/NEW ZEALAND AND JAPANESE CARRIERS HAVE THE MOST DEFENSIVE EARNINGS AGAINST HIGHER OIL PRICES

and the bottom chart shows AIR has only a slightly negative correlation (not significant) between share price and fuel -- as Hoops old chart showed

Let me know if you are now a lot wiser ...

Carrom, don’t forget that AIR have absorbed $100m plus extra fuel costs and still maintain guidance to achieve second highest profit ever .....that’s being resilient eh and no doubt a big part of why share price is holding up so well.