sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Do all 12(?) AIR Dreamliners have Trent 1000 or Trent 1000 TEN engines?

And will these TEN versions start having same problems in a year or two?
    I understand from a behind the paywall article on NBR that AIR have nine of these early model Trent 1000 powered Dreamliners (18 engines, 2 down, 16 suspect) and two of the 2017 engine variant aircraft with the new design fan blades (4 good engines). RR claim the compressor blade corrosion issue can be "managed" through maintenance until they are in a position to retrofit the existing engines with the newly designed fan blades.

I understand this maintenance involves very tight inspection intervals of the affected engines and this is supposed to ensure that the engines are safe for use. Unfortunately a little birdie tells me that the engine that failed on ZK-NZE was only very recently inspected. How much comfort you can get from Rolls Royce claiming their inspection program means these aircraft are safe to fly I will leave for you to decide for yourself. I would not be surprised at all if these planes weren't all grounded in the near future as a precautionary measure. The risk to AIR's SP should be obvious.

ANA have 50 of these aircraft with 100 affected engines and are going through a 3 year compressor blade replacement program which started in 2016. Where AIR are in the queue I have no idea but I seriously doubt this issue is going to be resolved completely by mid 2018 which is what RR implied in their "corporate public relations speak" response to the behind the paywall article on the NBR. I would reiterate the importance of understanding the caveat to AIR's statement that this is not going to affect guidance which was prefixed with the words "At this stage" Anyway I have now posted everything I know about it so I am going to take a break from commenting about this issue unless there is another failure or CAA directive. I won't be making the same mistake of getting dogmatic about this like I did with HBL which I am sure will be a relief to some on here.
    Last edited by Beagle; 17-12-2017 at 07:45 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Probably just a coincidence that Air's problems with the Dreamliners have happened since Sir John officially came on board

Just a casual observation
    Last edited by winner69; 18-12-2017 at 08:11 AM.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Over a year ago the CAA seem quite relaxed about these engines and would just monitor the situation

Wonder if so relaxed now?

Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) spokesman Mike Richards confirmed the Air NZ fleet was fitted with the same engines.
    However, Air NZ said there were no issues detected on its fleet and "there has been no impact on our operations".
    "From our point of view there have been no operational issues in New Zealand with the engine and we understand Rolls-Royce is working with airlines about repairs," Richards said.
    The CAA was closely monitoring the action Air New Zealand is taking with Rolls Royce and is satisfied the necessary steps are being taken to ensure the ongoing safety of the travelling public, he said.
    "The CAA is aware that aircraft engine manufacturer Rolls-Royce is working closely with Air New Zealand regarding precautionary maintenance upgrades on Trent engines fitted to some of the national carrier's Boeing Dreamliner aircraft."

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/837...-due-to-cracks

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

Red face Lost In Translation

article: Grounded Dreamliners Stagger THAI (early July 2017)
    om mani peme hum

Whatever we think market doesn’t seemed fazed ....share price pretty strong last week

I never bought airline shares until recently because I thought it would be tempting fate and there would be a crash and many would die. I wouldn’t have been able to live with the guilt of causing that

However I succumbed and started punting on AIR .......still hold some today. Hope I’m not tempting fate......hmm maybe better sell

Pretty good price at the moment anyway

Oh dear - even the replacement aircraft have 'issues'

Apparently they have RR engines as well

https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/trave...ineering-issue

Sir John not bring good luck to AIR is he - Teflon he is not. Hope Chris's halo doesn't dim too much as well

Membaa

Reckon the market might have got the news? That low trajectory down trend over head resistance has nabbed AIR a couple of times in the past 5 days. No worries, solid support currently around 3.01 has held for months. 6 months of leaking sideways down off the top of is not encouraging though against news of dodgy engines. Holders be wary, don't worry unless it drops through support, which if it does, be out. Charts help, it's all about sentiment.

I flew trans-Tasman on one of the leased Hi-Fly planes yesterday and, putting aside the 1.5hr delay, the service was generally alright and broadly comparable to getting stumped with Virgin code-share. The crew (from both airlines) were clearly making a big effort and the only disappointments were:

- that the early-generation seat-fitted screens were almost unwatchable (I'm not sure if i-pads could be used as an alternative); and
    - that they didn't emphasise on or before the flight that this is not a normal Air New Zealand service (fingers crossed).

There was a notification about the different service on the app, but I doubt this would've been clear to overseas customers.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop View Post
    I flew trans-Tasman on one of the leased Hi-Fly planes yesterday and, putting aside the 1.5hr delay, the service was generally alright and broadly comparable to getting stumped with Virgin code-share. The crew (from both airlines) were clearly making a big effort and the only disappointments were:

- that the early-generation seat-fitted screens were almost unwatchable (I'm not sure if i-pads could be used as an alternative); and
    - that they didn't emphasise on or before the flight that this is not a normal Air New Zealand service (fingers crossed).

There was a notification about the different service on the app, but I doubt this would've been clear to overseas customers.
    Virgin code share level..good grief..all you can hope for is the flight to get a tail wind..speed it up please!

Been out b4 the Beagle...think a few have followed now...

And now I've got an email from Mark Street, GM Loyalty to say my airpoints username /password is on some leaked database and apparently some other site where I use my password has been breached. Blah blah technical mumbo jumbo. Seems to be a helpful email - but this relying on technology is fraught with difficulty.