sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

I wonder what the damage is though, although I like the idea of workers getting their fair share threatening strike action that could negatively impact on so many families is a leverage ploy I wouldn't use and doesn't buy public sympathy..... outsourcing engineering work on the cards in future???

Quote Originally Posted by workingdad View Post
    I wonder what the damage is though, although I like the idea of workers getting their fair share threatening strike action that could negatively impact on so many families is a leverage ploy I wouldn't use and doesn't buy public sympathy..... outsourcing engineering work on the cards in future???
    Yes....The union and its members have caused a lot of upset and disquiet with the travelling public and the optics on this were absolutely appalling so I won't be surprised to see them get their comeuppance in the future.

Anyway moving on...have you ever wondered why you fart a lot on aircraft and feel absolutely dreadful after a long flight, read on...
    https://www.msn.com/en-nz/lifestyle/...cid=spartandhp
    Last edited by Beagle; 13-12-2018 at 07:43 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Go The Warriors "This Year!"

Quote Originally Posted by workingdad View Post
    Work has been outsourced for years... All heavy maintenance on widebodies has been done in Hongkong, China and in the last few in Singapore .
    When Air NZ were doing heavy maintenance on Hawaiian 767's our own were going off-shore.
    Company has looked at closing maintenance altogether in the past.. However the risks far outweigh the costs of keeping maintenance going in NZ.
    Waiting to see the details of the deal... Will be interesting to say the least...

Quote Originally Posted by Benny1 View Post
    Work has been outsourced for years... All heavy maintenance on widebodies has been done in Hongkong, China and in the last few in Singapore .
    When Air NZ were doing heavy maintenance on Hawaiian 767's our own were going off-shore.
    Company has looked at closing maintenance altogether in the past.. However the risks far outweigh the costs of keeping maintenance going in NZ.
    Waiting to see the details of the deal... Will be interesting to say the least...
    I agree, people here have no idea the background with this employer and union. Given the background I would have negotiated the same and if the chief negotiator is looking for work...I would consider them.

Pivot now to a shareholders perspective..my expectations are meet, management did what needed to be done, finally.

Go The Warriors "This Year!"

Quote Originally Posted by Raz View Post
    I agree, people here have no idea the background with this employer and union. Given the background I would have negotiated the same and if the chief negotiator is looking for work...I would consider them.

Pivot now to a shareholders perspective..my expectations are meet, management did what needed to be done, finally.
    Having seen the guts of the deal I wouldn't call this one is over and done just yet...
    Strike action is off for before Christmas due to possible company legal action..

With the reaction to that particular strike date (Dec 21) on here now behind us I'm sure there will be no out pouring of grief if any strike action is taken in the future...

Having seen the guts of the deal I wouldn't call this one is over and done just yet...
    Strike action is off for before Christmas due to possible company legal action..

With the reaction to that particular strike date (Dec 21) on here now behind us I'm sure there will be no out pouring of grief if any strike action is taken in the future...
    The article on NZ Herald gave an interesting perspective on that. Especially this quote:

E tū and the Aviation and Marine Power Association overestimated public sympathy for their cause. There was very little on show.

Quote Originally Posted by kyanar View Post
    The article on NZ Herald gave an interesting perspective on that. Especially this quote:
    Don't think that is the case, my understanding is the media did not want to provide assurances the Unions perspective would be fully covered so they did not engage. In addition legal action created risks wrt good faith bargaining. This has been an issue for other unions, the respective teacher unions have had discussion between themselves how to tackle.
    Last edited by Raz; 13-12-2018 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kyanar View Post
    Far from evoking sympathy I think their is a lot of anger against the engineers and their union now. Engineers have shot themselves in the foot with both barrels with both the airline and the public strongly against them now.
    Last edited by Beagle; 13-12-2018 at 01:10 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

"Bob" is a good guy and I think you are too but trust me on this mate, there will be no outpouring of grief from the public if the company makes widespread redundancies and ships heaps more work offshore. The way your union reps went about this was truly despicable and heinous and won't be forgotten by the public for a very long time. Experienced engineers make plenty in my opinion, certainly "Bob" is never short of a quid, and many would argue some of your unions ancient practice overtime rates and allowances don't belong in a modern workplace.

For what its worth I often work evenings and weekends when I have too and never have an expectation that I can recover anything other than my standard rate. Heaps of managers I know work 60 hour weeks when they have too and get nothing other than their regular salary. In fact show me a manager these days that gets away with working just 40 hours for his salary and I'll show you someone that will not ever be advancing within that company.
    Last edited by Beagle; 13-12-2018 at 02:04 PM.

Guru

The salaries they get is in the expectation they will need to work those hours when needed.

And I am sure that the public opinion is 50:50 and will be forgotten about in short order.